PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan moose/deer hunting fail.

10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
As I posted earlier my little boy helped me, for the first time, load up some ammo for my 7mm.I had planned to take a couple of days in 7-16,or a little further north on Oct.1, but it didn't work out.

So we headed out to the Okanagan to try our luck at finding an immy or maybe a whitetail or mulie. I hadn't grabbed any tags so we stopped off at Walmart late friday afternoon. The sporting goods employee had just "resigned" and nobody had the key to the tag box. After about 45 minutes the manager found a set,but there were nomulie tags left.Picked up a moose and whitetail tag.

Stopped in Chilliwack at the Walmart - "we don't sell hunting licenses". Stopped at the Chilliwack Canadian Tire - "we don't sell hunting licenses".

Whatever, off we go. I should point out that my wife was very excited to come with me and my little boy was just about bursting with anticipation. On saturday morning I head out to a spot that looked promising. An HBC member pointed out the general area to me last year and I added some more ggogle earth research to help pinpoint a good spot.

It was still dark and I grabbed the gun case out of the truck. "Oh yes", I recalled, "the bolt is in my backpack". Shuffle, shuffle...curse. I had left the bolt at home. Long story, it's not worth typing. As you can imagine I nearly burst with anger at my own stupidity.:-x

I just about turned around right there, but curiosity got the best of me.I grabbed my .22 and started down the road. "Look at that, a plump snowshoe hare just sitting there". The easy 20 yard shot turned into a complete miss. This wasn't working out for me. About 30 yards down past that point another hare waits just long enough before bolting that I wished I had my shotgun.

A little later 3 mulies bolt across in front of me. Including a little spike buck. Hey, isn't it any buck season? Yes it is, as I fondle the .22 in my hands.

About half an hour later I see a beautiful bull moose. He looks really healthy and strong. He is licking his snout and tasting the air. He looks like he would go 40", which is a pretty good Okanagan moose, imo. But even better is that on each side he has a drop tine (one of the brow tines). What a nice bull. He was about 30 yards away, so I called. He walked towards the road, licking the whole time. He stepped out on the road, broadside at about 25 yards. I heard a cow call in the distance and he slowly made his way off.

I ended up shooting a couple of grouse that evening, and that pleased my boy to no end. I also saw a little whitetail forkhorn, as well as a couple of mulie bucks on the way out.

Are any of you the ones with a grey F150 regular cab (late 80's) with a tipee in your camp? That was "my" spot! :-P

Dannybuoy
10-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Yikes , sorry to hear about your bit of bad luck But glad it worked out to be a pretty good weekend anyhow ....
Odd that this is the second story posted tonight that i've read hear about guys not having their bolts with them .... why take the bolt out ?? so many ways to store the gun safely otherwise ..

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Forgot your bolt!!?? I would never do such a thing:roll:.
At least my hunitng partner has his rifle....and we didn't travel quite as far as you did.

Bummer. Big bummer:(.

Damn storage laws!:???:

You won't forget this trip anytime soon.

SSS

300H&H
10-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Why did you not have your bolt in your gun ? CRAZZZY

MikeH
10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
you leave you learn, hunting is fun and frustrating at times.

10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Why did you not have your bolt in your gun ? CRAZZZY

Last week I had to leave my rifle case in my truck for an extended period. I figured removing the bolt, in addition to the regular precautions, would be the best bet. I wrapped the bolt up and put it in my back pack. I came home and had to go to work for one day. I brought the rifle inside, put the bolt away seperately as I didn't want to unlock everything. The next day we left for the hunt and I forgot that I had removed the bolt from my backpack.

Believe me I learned my lesson.:frown: