PDA

View Full Version : How's the moose rut?

Tron
10-04-2009, 09:09 PM
How's the moose rut this year? I would expect it to be a bit behind due to the warm weather.
Are you seeing bulls hung up with cows?
Are you having them respond to calls?

Thanks

killman
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
In my opinion it's late. Saw 3 cows one had a small bull trailing her. Was only got one response to any of the calling anyone in our camp did.

T300WSM
10-04-2009, 09:38 PM
The rut has been going strong for the last 2 weeks, the weather was very cold this weekend strong winds and a skiff of sonw on Sat morning at my camp spot.

leadpillproductions
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
shot a bull last week he had a cow with him

moosecaller
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
They are in rut.

Steeleco
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
They are in rut.

And how!! My son and I watched 2 big bulls follow a cow calf late Friday night. If only I'd got a LEH. They didn't care we were there one bit.

Tron
10-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone. We are heading up at the end of this week. No leh but going for immy's.

Ltbullken
10-05-2009, 08:41 AM
They're responding to cow calling!

moosecaller
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Had a bull come in yesterday morning wind me, turn and trot away, called to stop him he whirled around and started coming right back at me to within 30 yards, barking all the way, this dispite my smell and all. Called in 2 others about 1/2 hour later and the full moon/clear night didn't seem to have the usual slow down effect it has had.

killman
10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Had a bull come in yesterday morning wind me, turn and trot away, called to stop him he whirled around and started coming right back at me to within 30 yards, barking all the way, this dispite my smell and all. Called in 2 others about 1/2 hour later and the full moon/clear night didn't seem to have the usual slow down effect it has had.

That is good sign, my buddy is still out there with his tag.

Ambush
10-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Called an old bull to fifteen yards on Saturday evening, then cooled his excitement with an arrow through both lungs. Had another excited bull come in the next morning when I was quartering up mine.

But over soon for the big boys I think. They need some time to get on some fat for the winter. Then it's a good time to get a small bull hoping for his first taste of love.

meesemoot
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
It seems to go in cycles. On Saturday I heard lots of activity, and had at least two bulls come in close (to my cow calls) at the same time. The large one came within maybe 20-30 yards but didn't show himself, but made some very impressive grunts, and finally gave out an enormous bellow before heading back into the timber. The smaller one must have been intimidated by this display, and stayed well off to the side, and waited for the big bull to leave before showing himself. He stayed quiet and didn't vocalize at all, but I heard him walking in the bush while the large bull made his noisy approach. Alas, he wouldn't come closer than about 65 yards from me, which is beyond bow range for me. He looked to be a nice size for the table, which is just what I am looking for, though I can't say I would turn down a trophy bull or an immy! But, I digress. Sunday came along, and it was a nice sunny day, following a cold clear night with a full moon, and hunters were everywhere, driving around, unloading quads, calling, slamming tailgates, and lots of gunfire. Even after dark, when all this activity had died down, I never heard a peep from the moose, if any are still left. I think I'll swing by the local meat cutter and see how busy it is there today, just to satisfy my curiosity.

moosecaller
10-05-2009, 01:45 PM
That enormous bellow that almost sounds like a roar if you are discribing it right is a distress call, just out of curiousity do you think he winded you? This distress call would put everything around on alert this is perhaps why the other moose would not come into you.

meesemoot
10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes, it was a bit like a lion roaring. I think you are right about him getting my scent. He kept trying to get downwind of me, and I made the mistake of letting him, but it was impossible to walk without him pinpointing my location by the sound of my steps. In hindsight, that was my mistake. I should have continued to move downwind to where the road joined another, and he would have had to cross it to get downwind of me. The second one actually came out just above the fork, and was directly downwind of me, so I wasn't surprised he was wary. I'm surprised he came out for a look at all.

moosecaller
10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes, it was a bit like a lion roaring. I think you are right about him getting my scent. He kept trying to get downwind of me, and I made the mistake of letting him, but it was impossible to walk without him pinpointing my location by the sound of my steps. In hindsight, that was my mistake. I should have continued to move downwind to where the road joined another, and he would have had to cross it to get downwind of me. The second one actually came out just above the fork, and was directly downwind of me, so I wasn't surprised he was wary. I'm surprised he came out for a look at all.

Don't worry about him hearing you eg: your footsteps as long as they sound natural even to the point of purposely breaking some bigger branches this won't spook him as much as a sniff, he can even see you and not spook. Moving downwind of him may have kept him coming, it takes a long time to learn their language many years of study and I still have a ways to go, but I try.

meesemoot
10-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Another interesting thing, now that you mention learning the language: the first responses were the usual meek barking sound, but then changed to bull grunts; maybe when he realized another bull was also coming in. I had also thrown in some barks to simulate another bull coming in. It's easy to get confused, though, in the excitement of the moment!