PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Drivers

Fisher-Dude
10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Anytail and I went for a Sunday drive. He got out of the truck at 10:30 am, I got out of the truck at 12:30 pm.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0860.jpg

This sow and her cub will get a good meal of deer innards tonight!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0856.jpg

kako99
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Not a bad day trip.
Congrats!

BearStump
10-04-2009, 09:05 PM
congrets on the sucessfull hunt.
How nice of you to feed a needy family. lol

d6dan
10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks good FD. Do I see snow in that 1 picture?.

huntcoop
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Looks like the ass of a ditch chicken stuffed beside the jerry can.

Fisher-Dude
10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Looks good FD. Do I see snow in that 1 picture?.

Yes you do! A real treat to have snow this early in the year.

Looks like the ass of a ditch chicken stuffed beside the jerry can.

It is - a monster blue.

Shooter
10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
LMAO.. its like one of those I Spy books trying to find all of the hidden gems...lol Congrats on the deer FD.

GoatGuy
10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats to the road hunting champ.

PGK
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
This is better than any kechika story

GoatGuy
10-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I know where FD hunts - $ for the 'secret spot'. Same with the blues...................

BCJunior
10-05-2009, 01:06 AM
gotta love the road :)
great day great sucess, congratz!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Road Warriors of the World .......UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

That's the kind of the success we were hoping for on Sat.

Good stuff!

Now all you have to do is try the vehicular skinning technique. 8)

Nothing went down for you in the Koots???

SSS

sawmill
10-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Sure beats hanging around in church for half a day!I`m pretty sure that`s what god had in mind when he thought up all this great country and critters:biggrin:A well spent morning,good on ya!

hillclimber
10-05-2009, 06:55 AM
congrats on the 2 deer. i find around noonish is the best time to hunt em on the roads.

calvin L
10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
My buck died at 12:30 just off the road :wink: mid day hunt are prime time

calvin L

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Nothing went down for you in the Koots???

SSS

Nothing in the Kootenays except raghorn 4 and 5 point "herd bulls" with big harems of cows. Methinks the effect of too many consecutive years of 6 point seasons has had the same result as what happened in other jurisdictions - dwindling numbers of age class IV bulls. Of course, all warnings of this happening have been refuted by local resident "experts" in elk management, so we still have a 6 point season. :roll:

Ambush
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a pleasant day in the woods. Great way to solidify and enhance your rep as the "King of the Road". :lol:

And "we" still have a doe draw yet right?:smile:

budismyhorse
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Nothing in the Kootenays except raghorn 4 and 5 point "herd bulls" with big harems of cows. Methinks the effect of too many consecutive years of 6 point seasons has had the same result as what happened in other jurisdictions - dwindling numbers of age class IV bulls. Of course, all warnings of this happening have been refuted by local resident "experts" in elk management, so we still have a 6 point season. :roll:

Oh come on Pat.

now that is some pure BS right thar. So where do you find info on the "dwindling number of Age Class 4 bulls" again?

So that was the "Road Report".....would you like my Non-Motorized Access Report?

:biggrin:

Nice early muleys! they look young and tastey.....just how I like em.

10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/kootenay/wld/Proposed_reg_changes.html

GoatGuy
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
So that was the "Road Report".....would you like my Non-Motorized Access Report?

Let me guess: Hunters behind every bush!

BCrams
10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
[quote=budismyhorse;525106]
now that is some pure BS right thar. So where do you find info on the "dwindling number of Age Class 4 bulls" again?

quote]

Grin .... maybe we need to repost reports which refute 6 point restrictions on bull elk and how point restrictions are not the way to manage wildlife when there is no conservation concern for a population.

budismyhorse
10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/kootenay/wld/Proposed_reg_changes.html

looks very interesting.....

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a pleasant day in the woods. Great way to solidify and enhance your rep as the "King of the Road". :lol:

And "we" still have a doe draw yet right?:smile:

We do indeed Crabsinyerbush! Now that you're in such good shape from wrestling that moose, I'll let ya drag the doe out for me! :biggrin:

Oh come on Pat.

:biggrin:

Nice early muleys! they look young and tastey.....just how I like em.

The outfitters seem to be bitching about low 6 point success too. Areas where I used to see herd bulls with the cows now seem to have raghorns with the cows. It's a bit of a concern, from my perspective.

On the lighter side, I did see a nice immy 2x3 moose! But I had to buy new tires instead of that crossbow I had my eye on...:frown:

nano
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Congrats to you FD looks like some good eating.

budismyhorse
10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Let me guess: Hunters behind every bush!

Not really what we are talking about.....but since you asked.

including my camp, there were 2 others in the valley I hunted for opening rifle. Pretty good use as far as I'm concerned. Not too crowded.

[quote=budismyhorse;525106]

quote]

Grin .... maybe we need to repost reports which refute 6 point restrictions on bull elk and how point restrictions are not the way to manage wildlife when there is no conservation concern for a population.

.....not arguing against all that.....just wary of inflamatory anecdotal info specific to the area in question.....

GoatGuy
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Not really what we are talking about.....but since you asked.

including my camp, there were 2 others in the valley I hunted for opening rifle. Pretty good use as far as I'm concerned. Not too crowded.

That's good, I'm glad you were happy. :biggrin:

budismyhorse
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
We do indeed Crabsinyerbush! Now that you're in such good shape from wrestling that moose, I'll let ya drag the doe out for me! :biggrin:

The outfitters seem to be bitching about low 6 point success too. Areas where I used to see herd bulls with the cows now seem to have raghorns with the cows. It's a bit of a concern, from my perspective.

On the lighter side, I did see a nice immy 2x3 moose! But I had to buy new tires instead of that crossbow I had my eye on...:frown:

Outfitters bitching??!?! now that can't be true. :roll:

FD, I'm still waiting for someone to come out in public and state they want this 3pt season to go ahead.

I see its in the proposed changes, but very little in the way of justification.....lots of talk about opportunity and recruitment though. I could have missed something, but nothing about dwindling numbers of age class 4 bulls.

Come back in late october Pat, have a look at the winter range and you'll see all the 6's you are missing.

10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
looks very interesting.....

Of course the much maligned grizzly bear season proposal was unfortunatelly removed by MOE due to the bad PR it generated from the anti-use/Strauss camp.

brotherjack
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I see its in the proposed changes, but very little in the way of justification.....

Not that there aren't plenty of good reasons to relax the restrictions -- there are, and they've been discussed at great (some would say excruciating) length on these very forums -- but I ask the question: Where there is no conservation concern, why does there have to be any "justification" at all for relaxing restrictions? The simple fact that we don't have any need for a six point season (outside the desires of special interest groups) should be (IMHO) the beginning and the end of the necessary "justification" for dropping the six point restriction (or any restriction, for that matter), and that should go for not just elk and not just in the EK - that's how you ought to run a railroad when it comes to game management. (all IMHO, of course).

bayou
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Of course the much maligned grizzly bear season proposal was unfortunatelly removed by MOE due to the bad PR it generated from the anti-use/Strauss camp.
How do you get ahold of this anti-use/strauss camp would like to send them the link you provided so they can maybe get some of the other proposals removed for some of them are pretty dump in my opinion.

10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree that the 6pt only bull harvest is not good for the elk population over the long term, and there certainly is room for opportunities to harvest snmaller bulls considering the overall population density, we all know it's pointless to stockpile elk. But I also agree with Bud that when the dust settles in November there will be a healthy number of 6pt bulls showing up on the winter ranges just like always.

I've been hearing stories this year of guys not finding any elk where they usually hunt, of a perceived shortage of elk and deer in the low elevations, I've been hearing sad elk hunting stories like I've not heard for quite a few years now, but I don't think there's a panic situation by any means.

I'm thinking that what's probably happening is that after three years or so of intense hunting pressure by youths seasons, senior seasons, almost unrestricted archery seasons, increased LEH authorizations, etc, that we're finally seeing some dramatic changes in elk behaviour and habitat use patterns in the low and mid elevations. Elk are changing their habits fast and hunters may not be adapting as fast as the elk are, thus people are being disappointed in the numbers of elk sightings in their favorite spots. The major changes in hunting pressure in the last few years probably also has the older herd bulls that reside and rut at lower and mid elevations more wary then ever and more difficult then ever to hunt.

Let's not forget that changing elk habitat use and behavious patterns is actually the major objective of the elk management plan, to move the herds out of the ag-zone and over-used lower elevations, and it appears that it's working. The non-migratory component of the elk population may finally be declining a little, another major objective of MOE.

Hunters may have to revert back to mid-eighties elk hunting strategies like hunting the higher elevations and headwater basins, etc, to find the early season elk herds. Elk are still out there in good numbers, just not where you might expect to find them based on the last ten years of hunting experiences of many hunters. Moreover I believe the September heat has also added to the complexity of finding elk.

10-05-2009, 08:22 PM
How do you get ahold of this anti-use/strauss camp would like to send them the link you provided so they can maybe get some of the other proposals removed for some of them are pretty dump in my opinion.

Don't worry they have it already, and will likely bitch up a storm about the lynx and cougar proposals. They don't give a ratz azz about the ungulate proposals, ungulates are wolf and cougar food in their minds, not hunters quarry.

Note, for anyone who is concerned about the elk proposals there's also a link to the new and developing Elk Management Plan where a lot of good background info on elk status and management stratgey is available. MOE is also inviting comments on this new EMP as well. The 2008 elk population inventory report is also available on the MOE site.

10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Well FD, now that we've successfully high-jacked your thread, congratulations an last Sundays activities, good job...!

I'm waiting for next Sunday, I'm going to take my grandson out for the White Tailed Deer youth/senior opening in R4. We shouldn't have to get too far from the truck to pop a couple WTD flat tops. Maybe we can beat you guys 12:30 PM tags-cancelled time.

kgs
10-05-2009, 08:33 PM
congrats nice bucks..

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Well FD, now that we've successfully high-jacked your thread, congratulations an last Sundays activities, good job...!

I'm waiting for next Sunday, I'm going to take my grandson out for the White Tailed Deer youth/senior opening in R4. We shouldn't have to get too far from the truck to pop a couple WTD flat tops. Maybe we can beat you guys 12:30 PM tags-cancelled time.

Yep, I think you just might be able to tag out before 12:30. That was one thing that was very abundant during my 2 weeks in R4 - WT does! Good luck Andy, great to see an Olde Fart hunting with a Young Buck! 8)

10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Yep, I think you just might be able to tag out before 12:30. That was one thing that was very abundant during my 2 weeks in R4 - WT does! Good luck Andy, great to see an Olde Fart hunting with a Young Buck! 8)

We're both young bucks,,,, he's nearly 16,,, that's only a mere 52 year age difference....?????

budismyhorse
10-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I've been hearing stories this year of guys not finding any elk where they usually hunt, of a perceived shortage of elk and deer in the low elevations, I've been hearing sad elk hunting stories like I've not heard for quite a few years now, but I don't think there's a panic situation by any means.

....to be honest, if you want my anecdotal info, from what I am hearing, it is going to be a bumper year for 6 pt harvest in the east koots. I've never heard of so many people getting elk. Driving around town and the highway to the elk valley I've never seen so many elk hanging from quad racks, out of bedboxs or strapped to campers. I've heard the butchers are over-whelmed, but butchered my own so can't say for sure.

Everyone seems pretty happy to me......except for a few.

Look at a bunch of threads on this site.....got my six pt, got my first elk, EK six pt Down!..........:eek:

Lots of camps, lots of meat hangin.....

If we should take a few young bulls out of the picture.....along with the 3.5 yr old 6 pts that are getting whacked these days (mine included), 1 of those options in the proposal may be the ticket as well.

But I'm not willing to buy into a proposal that strictly panders to a couple of squeaky wheels that didn't seem to get lucky that year.....backed by the hope that hunter recuitment would thrive during such a plan.

FD (amoung many others) are saying herd health these days.....the MOE is saying Opportunity and Hunter Recruitment apparently.

J_T
10-06-2009, 08:26 AM
No, the sidebar (hijack) is still engaged.

At the end of the archery season the butcher shops were exactly on target for elk numbers, equal to the last few years. I agree that there does appear to be more 6 pt success this year.

6616 is right. Elk adapt so fast, increased pressure on the ag lands will have a positive impact, moving them into acceptable transitional and high country range. The backcountry elk action this year was phenomenal.

Nice deer FD.

budismyhorse
10-06-2009, 08:41 AM
No, the sidebar (hijack) is still engaged.

I don't feel bad, he started the hijack of his own thread......with Coffee Shop BS.

brotherjack
10-06-2009, 09:26 AM

But I'm not willing to buy into a proposal that strictly panders to a couple of squeaky wheels that didn't seem to get lucky that year.....

Really? I don't know ANY meat-oriented hunters who are a fan of the 6 point rule (actually, outside of some of you guys who post on HBC, I don't personally know a single hunter who is in favor of it -- and I know a whole bunch of guys who hunt). Heck, even when they ran polls here on HBC last year or whenever it was -- keep in mind that we have far more avid/rabid hunters here than you would have in a general sampling of hunters at large -- it was the MAJORITY of hunters who were in favor of nixing the 6 point restriction, not just "a couple of squeaky wheels".

It seems pretty obvious, that the "few squeaky wheels" are the ones lobbying (thus far successfully) for the continuation of the 6 point season.

10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
....to be honest, if you want my anecdotal info, from what I am hearing, it is going to be a bumper year for 6 pt harvest in the east koots. I've never heard of so many people getting elk. Driving around town and the highway to the elk valley I've never seen so many elk hanging from quad racks, out of bedboxs or strapped to campers. I've heard the butchers are over-whelmed, but butchered my own so can't say for sure.

Look at a bunch of threads on this site.....got my six pt, got my first elk, EK six pt Down!..........:eek:

Lots of camps, lots of meat hangin.....

If we should take a few young bulls out of the picture.....along with the 3.5 yr old 6 pts that are getting whacked these days (mine included), 1 of those options in the proposal may be the ticket as well.

But I'm not willing to buy into a proposal that strictly panders to a couple of squeaky wheels that didn't seem to get lucky that year.....backed by the hope that hunter recuitment would thrive during such a plan.

FD (amoung many others) are saying herd health these days.....the MOE is saying Opportunity and Hunter Recruitment apparently.

I don't think the local guys are having any trouble getting elk but the non-locals don't have as much opportunity to catch up on new elk patterns and some seem quite surprized they're not finding elk where they expect them to be.

10-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Really? I don't know ANY meat-oriented hunters who are a fan of the 6 point rule (actually, outside of some of you guys who post on HBC, I don't personally know a single hunter who is in favor of it -- and I know a whole bunch of guys who hunt). Heck, even when they ran polls here on HBC last year or whenever it was -- keep in mind that we have far more avid/rabid hunters here than you would have in a general sampling of hunters at large -- it was the MAJORITY of hunters who were in favor of nixing the 6 point restriction, not just "a couple of squeaky wheels".

It seems pretty obvious, that the "few squeaky wheels" are the ones lobbying (thus far successfully) for the continuation of the 6 point season.

I believe you are correct BJ.

The avid/rabid hunters make up the majority of whom submit the most feedback to MOE on the web consultation page, they are the ones that show up at meetings, who are on the club executives and committees and sway the club positions the most, they are involved with conservation activities and projects, and have the most contact with MOE, etc, and who also make their voices and opinions strongly known to MOE, and thus often cumulatively end up controlling the direction of things.

If everyone who felt the 6pt reg needs loosened up a bit provided feedback to MOE on the same per-capita level as the avid we'd really see what the general hunters would support. Right now under the current consultation system I don't think we're seeing that and I have no idea how to change that. Some would say that if the less then avid don't have enough incentive or can't be bothered to provide feedback to MOE then their voice does not deserve to be heard...????

As a result of the above, when a similar proposal was tabled in 2007 web consultation was overwhelmingly in opposition. MOE cannot react to the deafening silence. A mere hundred or so people responded to that 2007 proposal and there are thousands of hunters in the EK...????

It also should be kept in mind that it's not always just a NIMBY attitude as some would claim, the avid/rabid hunter is also likely more concerned with overall herd health and is highly conservation oriented, so they are more likely to be much more conservative minded with management approaches.

budismyhorse
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
[quote=brotherjack;525485]Really? I don't know ANY meat-oriented hunters who are a fan of the 6 point rule ......[quote]

Fair enough....depends on the circle you run with I guess.

By far, the people I interact with don't think we have the migratory herds to support it yet. Most kill an elk every second year and are happy.

Look at the options in the new proposal, I'm sure you'll find one to support. I know I have.

And for the rest of your comment, I still haven't heard a single person in the Ministry state to me there is no conservation concern with our current Elk herd, so until then, please stop using that statement.

brotherjack
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think the local guys are having any trouble getting elk.

Me and 90% of the local hunters I know would disagree heartily with that statement. Other than a couple of you guys here on HBC (Rocksteady), and one other guy I actually know personally (though even he hasn't managed to get one since 2006) -- I know ZERO hunters who have anything like regular success at 6 point hunting.

brotherjack
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
And for the rest of your comment, I still haven't heard a single person in the Ministry state to me there is no conservation concern with our current Elk herd, so until then, please stop using that statement.

Umm.... seems to me, if they're allowing female animals to be shot all (much less running an open Jr/Sr season on cow/calf elk and giving out cow/calf LEH's by the hundreds as they are doing currently), that someone somewhere has concluded (probably far beyond the shadow of a doubt, given the hyper-conservative strategies that we typically see in BC game management) that there is not a conservation concern (in fact, we have the opposite problem) --- whether or not you've read that exact phrase in one of their reports or not.

Anyway, you're in luck regardless, as I'm going to shut up about it, by and large... This whole topic has been discussed to death and I've already said my say on it many times over in these threads we've had on this topic over the years.

eastkoot
10-06-2009, 11:48 AM
If I wasn't so friggin lazy and I could count to six quick, my season would be over... Last 2 days I've seen 2 sixes a five and an unknown I left before dark in a field with 12 cows cause me and FD saw him already.. The last few weeks have been unreal for elk sightings.. Too far, too fast or not enough points, but they are there for sure...And lots of them..If a 4 or 5 has cows, you can bet a six is near with more cows, just my observations..

10-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Umm.... seems to me, if they're allowing female animals to be shot all (much less running an open Jr/Sr season on cow/calf elk and giving out cow/calf LEH's by the hundreds as they are doing currently), that someone somewhere has concluded (probably far beyond the shadow of a doubt, given the hyper-conservative strategies that we typically see in BC game management) that there is not a conservation concern (in fact, we have the opposite problem) --- whether or not you've read that exact phrase in one of their reports or not.

I think too many elk can be just as much of a conservation concern as too few elk....!

hunter1947
11-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Couple nice deer you got there FD ,they will be tender deer on the dinner table ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.