PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunt MU 7-57

kako99
10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Just wondering for a bison hunt LEH, will you find bison off of private property/land? Or do you have to $175 per person or per permit to cross the private land? I'm really looking forward to leaving wednesday but I keep hearing different things about the hunt. Can any one please fill me in?
Thanks

bridger
10-05-2009, 04:41 AM
I am assuming you have the draw for the halfway drainage. unfortuantely the bison are mostly found in the upper part of the halfway valley behind the ranch owned by the blueberry indian band who charge you an acess fee to cross their land. the reason some guys pay the fee (me included) is that it is easier and faster as their is an old oil road that goes throught the land and up into the hunting area. there is a quad trail around the ranch that was built by the forest service that reconnects to the oil road on the other side of the ranch which a lot of guys use instead of paying the fee. their is also another way around but you have to ford the halfway river with your quad which is ok when the water is low as it is now, but it is usually used by horse back hunters. the easiet was is to pay the fee second choice is the forest service quad trail around the ranch which is fine just a little longer and not as convienet. good luck.

Pioneerman
10-05-2009, 07:06 AM
My friend also has the draw for 7-57B Nov 20 - Dec 5. I assume your draw is in "A" When is your draw for ?
I hunted moose there in "B" years ago, but haven't been there in a long time. Do you have the same Indian band to deal with in both sections ? We plan on taking acamper, but also a wall tent in case we have to go back a ways to find them

treeclimber
10-05-2009, 07:46 AM
We had to pay per person

RustyRipper
10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
There is another way. we payed the indian band but only used it once, ended up staying on the other side anyway where we saw more buffalo and there were less hunters. you take the road beside the pink mountain general store, it goes past a bunch of ranches and then becomes a GSR where you'll come to an airtstip and it branches off a little ways down from there. there are clearings at the wells that the buffs like to hang out in, you'll see crap all over the place. just scope out all those roads before opening day and you'll have it figured out. a lot of the roads are dead ended for vehicles but have quad or snowmobile trails that continue back to the end of the valley which you would normally pay the natives to get to anyway. hope this helps, good luck. PS remember to skin that sucker right away and open up the hump, DONT leave it overnight with skin on, two guys did that last year and left it behind, rotted overnight in -30. good luck

kako99
10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys my draw is for 7B were leaving wed morning cant wait got a big bull draw in Vanderhoof as well lucked out this year :lol:

Pioneerman
10-05-2009, 06:20 PM
So you are on the north of Sikini Chief and not near the half way river , is that right? So is there still a indian band you have to deal with on that side ? I do not remember any of that when I hunted moose there before. Let me know how you make out when you return cause we will be heading up there next month too.
Gold luck

BMF300win.
10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I got lucky up there. Look for fresh poop and tracks. stay on them they dont go far to fast. good luck

300win
12-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I am assuming you have the draw for the halfway drainage. unfortuantely the bison are mostly found in the upper part of the halfway valley behind the ranch owned by the blueberry indian band who charge you an acess fee to cross their land. the reason some guys pay the fee (me included) is that it is easier and faster as their is an old oil road that goes throught the land and up into the hunting area. there is a quad trail around the ranch that was built by the forest service that reconnects to the oil road on the other side of the ranch which a lot of guys use instead of paying the fee. their is also another way around but you have to ford the halfway river with your quad which is ok when the water is low as it is now, but it is usually used by horse back hunters. the easiet was is to pay the fee second choice is the forest service quad trail around the ranch which is fine just a little longer and not as convienet. good luck.[/quote]

How are the natives and how much is the fee??????

bridger
12-23-2009, 12:25 AM
as i have stated before the private land that you have to cross to get into the upper halfway river valley is not a reserve, it is a ranch that is owned by the blueberry first nations band which also owns the guiding territory in the upper halfway. when the bought the guiding area they bought the ranch at the same time. getting access throught the ranch is simple just drive up to the main ranchouse and pay the access fee. the ranch also has several cabins that are rented to bison hunters. there is a public access trail around the ranch if you don't want to pay the fee.