PDA

View Full Version : Road Hunting Rules!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Somehow Mr. Mom(Calvin L) and myself found some spare time to get out and try to put some meat in the freezer.

Heading out of region, we went into my favorite moose spot to try our luck at finding an illusive immie or perhaps an "any muley buck". Leaving my bolt for my rifle at home:oops:, I decided it would be wise to focus on being the cameraman and guide.
The morning was snowy, breezy and uneventfull so we decided to be road warriors for the rest of the day(Yes, it's true FD:p).

Seeing only a few ravens and one gutpile we were a little disheartened....until we came around the corner and found this guy with 4 does.
The 30 yard, downhill pack was absolutely brutal!!! :D

Road Hunting rules!!!

Best thing about the day was that we got to try out a new-to-us method of skinning using some rope, a hockey ball and two vehicles...and I must say that it worked slick!!:cool: No more knives for us!

Congrats to Calvin L on a nice high-tined muley!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Calvin_s_2009_Muley_008.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15565)

Driver, cameraman and guide.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Calvin_s_2009_Muley_013.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15566&limit=recent)

I hope Calvin doesn't mind me posting this up for him but I know he's pretty busy with diapers, dishes and dog crap:D.

Road Hunting Rules!!!:razz:
SSS

hunterofthedeer
10-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Nice Mule Deer. Pretty good for "any buck"

mark
10-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Very nice buck, and on a sunday too! :shock:
I always figured sundays were to busy to road hunt!
We hiked our butts off today and only saw small bucks! :-(

KB90
10-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Awesome Buck! What region?

kootenayelkslayer
10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Well I'll be damned, I guess it's time to buy some camo seat covers. Nice work, cool looking buck!
Hockey ball?? Care to elaborate?

FLHTCUI
10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
:eek: WOW, thats one nice buck.
Nice rack too.
So, any pics of the skinning process Mr Camera Man?
Congrats...
Rob

Blainer
10-04-2009, 06:40 PM
That is a tall looking rack.
Good buck.
Not quite sure how you went about the skinning job?

Ciskman
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow, nice buck. Congrats!I also am interested in this truck hockey ball skinning...do share!

hunterofthedeer
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I head about the skinning with a ball but i seen it as the golf ball method. I cant quite remember exactly how it works. You put the ball up by the neck and make cuts to the legs and you can pull the skin off with a truck or quad. I think

Shooter
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I think he means like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bLHkKOs3M&NR=1

hunterofthedeer
10-04-2009, 06:57 PM
thats the one i guess i was sort of right:biggrin:

BigBanger
10-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow thats a hog . Nice goin .

Deaddog
10-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Great job guys, nice looking buck,... it doesn't always have to be tough work!! thanks for the pics

killman
10-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Nice buck, sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time!

Chuck
10-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Holy sheep dip is that ever nice! For a bit there I thought it could only be a photo shop job. Nice going you guys - that's what I'd call a very nice mulie buck. Reminds me of when we used to go and get'em like that.

d6dan
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice Buck!. It pays to do a little road hunting now and then..Congrats boys...

BearStump
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
you know you could have bagged him weeks ago, that was awfull nice of you to wait till "any buck" season LOL!
Nice buck!
Never seen one of those bad boys from the truck before.

f350ps
10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Yer camo'd up pretty good, you musta had yer faces covered when you came around the corner or that bad boy woulda been long gone. K

martyonthewater
10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Way to go guys, great lookin buck for sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Yep. Just like that. Not exactly the best method for keeping a cape.
Ours even looked better ...clean as a whistle right down to the tip of the tail.
You can use any kind of ball or round object....even a rock. Last week another buddy used a 1" piece of PVC pipe. Whatever you can find in your garage.

We put the deer on a clean tarp.

SSS

BCrams
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Great job guys. Will be trying the vehicle skinning method next chance I get.

Rattler
10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Good work guys. Gotta be lucky sometimes...

Did you see any moose?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Good work guys. Gotta be lucky sometimes...

Did you see any moose?

No real moose...just "slow moose". Calls were not travelling well in the heavy morning air. Did get better late in the day. Thought we heard a couple of grunts but nothing came of it.
SSS

olharley guy
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Howdy, what a great looking buck-things like this do happen while you and the family are suffering by living in the cold north. Ha! Later

calvin L
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes it is true I was able to cut a tag . This gun hunting is a little different . If you can see it You can almost kill it . Coming home with meat is cool . This mister Mom and his cameraman/ guide had a great time . Even better than great as it was my fist time out this year . It could not have be any better if it was planed . I will say this in closing hunting with SSS is never ever boring .

calvin L

And I still have a tag for archery season in Dec. (and time off :wink:)

chinookkiller
10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow hoo!!!, very nice buck. Congrats!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Very nice buck, and on a sunday too! :shock:
I always figured sundays were to busy to road hunt!

Actually Mark, your theory still may hold water....this was yesterday.

SSS

kennyj
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice buck!I always say ''take em where you find em''.Beside the road is good.
kenny

Brambles
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
WOW look at the G2's and G4's on that guy, Great buck Calvin.

Way to go guys

Congrats

BCrams
10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
. I will say this in closing hunting with SSS is never ever boring .

calvin L

You don't say lol :lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
You don't say lol :lol:

Soon as I saw my bolt was missing, first thing to come to mind was...."It's gonna be a booner!!":rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure Calvin hid my bolt after the grizzly skull episode:?.

SSS

303Brit
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice buck guys thats some pretty good luck, well not soo much for SSS, but definitely for Calvin.
That truck skinning thing is slick, i've seen it down from a tree with the deer head up, and when your down you just bagged and back the truck up and lower it into the box.

again nice buck

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Very nice congrats.Thats a really nice buck for early October and a lousy moon.I am surprised he was with does already.good job.:p

BCBairdo
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Brent,

Nice buck for you and your buddy to bag from the road...just goes to show you...never know when things will shine in your favour. I wish I could get out...maybe in December.

Ian

35 Whelen
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Great buck...look at the length on those tines. So do you wrap the ball in the hide after cutting around the legs and up the length of the legs etc etc and then put a loop around the ball in the hide and pull the rope using the veh?

Fisher-Dude
10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Glad to see I have a couple of new converts to road hunting! Congrats boys on a great deer! :-D

huntcoop
10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Nothing like burning fossil fuel. Nice deer 2.

leadpillproductions
10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
WOW no thats lazy! i guess they did have a knive

Laurence_Erickson
10-04-2009, 09:30 PM
great looking buck guys ,brent maybe you can take me for a drive one day .

slashhunter
10-04-2009, 09:34 PM

thats a pretty slick trick. Works best with a golf ball. we used the golf ball skin trick on a moose 2 years ago....worked like a charm

PGK
10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I've road hunted my entire friggin life and I have never seen a buck on the road bigger than a rat 3pt. I don't know how people do it. I just don't.

GoatGuy
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Congrats, remember Calvin, when you're ready to sell all your gear I'll be the first to help you out. ;-)

Shooter
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I've road hunted my entire friggin life and I have never seen a buck on the road bigger than a rat 3pt. I don't know how people do it. I just don't.

2 rights then a left...2 rights then a left. continue that pattern and you will find a honey road for sure. Its the only way.

Dannybuoy
10-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Must be the region ... here in the Okanagan some of the biggest bucks are taken by the road-savy hunter ...

GoatGuy
10-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Quit looking at the CD player and right down the road. There's no real trick to it, same as walking in the bush - pay attention.

Dannybuoy
10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice Buck BTW

PGK
10-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Quit looking at the CD player and right down the road. There's no real trick to it, same as walking in the bush - pay attention.

Horse. Shit.

Besides, I got a tape deck :lol:

GoatGuy
10-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Horse. Shit.

Besides, I got a tape deck :lol:

You're too busy looking for spruce grouse in the middle of the road.

The blue grouse are far more secretive- they like to hide in the ditch.

PGK
10-04-2009, 10:12 PM
You're too busy looking for spruce grouse in the middle of the road.

The blue grouse are far more secretive- they like to hide in the ditch.

Horse. Shit.

GoatGuy
10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Horse. Shit.

We've got a couple truck loads of it at the house if you want some.

Hint: it's not on the roads.

Clean the chicken feathers out of your ears

10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Hijack: This thread is about the highly technical operation of road hunting,,,, not about horse dung...!

Horse turds are only good for one thing,,,,, they make reasonably good hockey pucks at 30 below (I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan, believe me I know).

bruin
10-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Very nice boys, great buck

BCJunior
10-05-2009, 01:03 AM
love it, very nice buck!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Hijack: This thread is about the highly technical operation of road hunting,,,, not about horse dung...!

Horse turds are only good for one thing,,,,, they make reasonably good hockey pucks at 30 below (I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan, believe me I know).

I'm sure a frozen horse turd could be substituted for the hockeyball for this skinning technique......would add a Saskatchewan flare to it.:mrgreen:

I have another buddy who's been a very successful road warriror for big mulies(quite a bit bigger than this buck). I just talked to him on the phone the other day(he moved away) and he told me to hit this road. He'll be pleased that it produced again:).

35 Whelen-We just bucked off the lower legs......ringed the neck and skinned down the back of the neck until we had enough hide to tie in the ball......we did have to stop pulling and slit the front of the neck down to the brisket (since the neck is smaller around than the chest).

Now all I have to do is figure out how to incorporate this road hunting thing and skinning technique into sheep hunting. I'm selling my backpack and boots and getting a longer winch cable:-P

SSS

sawmill
10-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Great buck!Road hunting in crappy weather has been good to me,game seems to move around more so the more ground you cover,the more chances you get.Plus you stay dry.:biggrin:

mcrae
10-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Great buck!Road hunting in crappy weather has been good to me,game seems to move around more so the more ground you cover,the more chances you get.Plus you stay dry.:biggrin:

X2 I have a buddy that is all buggered up with a busted up wing right now so I am going to do some road hunting with him this year. As he said, "at least we will be warm:smile::smile:".

calvin L
10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Goat Guy . I can't see my gear coming up for sale as I have a son to pass it on to . Maybe a little more time at home and not with the horses you to could complete man hood .

calvin L

Ltbullken
10-05-2009, 08:40 AM
I rather like the idea of some good buddies in a pick up, drinking coffee, eating sandwiches all day, bs'ing about hunting, politics, wives/spouses, hunting regs, or whatever. I am not by nature a road hunter. When I go up north, I hit go HARD dawn to dusk!! :twisted:

But, road hunting does make for a good time with a good friend for a casual hunt sort of day when companionship is the most important thing. If you get something, great, but if not, it is time well spent enhancing a friendship!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Goat Guy . I can't see my gear coming up for sale as I have a son to pass it on to . Maybe a little more time at home and not with the horses you to could complete man hood .

calvin L

You trying to invite him into the "poorhouse of parenthood"??:? Not yet GG!! Don't listen to him!! You've still got some time.

I see your stuff going up for sale to pay for Junior's skates and league fees:razz:.

SSS

calvin L
10-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I rather like the idea of some good buddies in a pick up, drinking coffee, eating sandwiches all day, bs'ing about hunting, politics, wives/spouses, hunting regs, or whatever. I am not by nature a road hunter. When I go up north, I hit go HARD dawn to dusk!! :twisted:

But, road hunting does make for a good time with a good friend for a casual hunt sort of day when companionship is the most important thing. If you get something, great, but if not, it is time well spent enhancing a friendship!

Well said it is time that can never be taken with friends that really should be called family .

calvin L

Moose72
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Very nice muley. Good job.

So this bolfball thing, how do you go about it? Steb by step?

WoodOx
10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
great work SSS! does that mean your done with sheep hunting and your creazy endeavours into that pit of an area you call your hunting spot!?

Blainer
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
You have only been driving for 4 years.
law of averages.:wink:

GoatGuy
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM

calvin L

You trying to invite him into the "poorhouse of parenthood"??:? Not yet GG!! Don't listen to him!! You've still got some time.

I see your stuff going up for sale to pay for Junior's skates and league fees:razz:.

SSS

I think SSS summed it up best. Also, if I'm on the same program as you I've gots lots of years left before it's time to 'complete man hood'.

Hahahahahahahaahahaha

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
great work SSS! does that mean your done with sheep hunting and your creazy endeavours into that pit of an area you call your hunting spot!?

I'll still hunt that area.....Just need a longer winch cable...maybe a high-lead logging set up:grin:

SSS

10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I saw some road hunter camo at the River Sportsman in CR. It was a camo sleeve that you slip over your arm while your window is rolled down.

That is a really nice buck.

We should have a club for people who leave their bolts at home!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
We should have a club for people who leave their bolts at home!

Could call it "Dolts without Bolts":oops:

I forgot my entire rifle once before....but I only got ~10 mins from home before it hit me:roll:.

SSS

muleychaser
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Beautiful Buck. Congrats

DCURR
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Nice One Cal. Now Come Back To Work Ya Bum!

calvin L
10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Dan I will see you on the 19 or 20th (you know shift change ) I hope you have been able to get out yourself

frenchbar
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Nice buck guys!Gotta love those short drags to the pickup once in a while.

N-W-Redneck
10-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Seeing only a few ravens and one gutpile we were a little disheartened....until we came around the corner and found this guy with 4 does.
The 30 yard, downhill pack was absolutely brutal!!! :D

Road Hunting rules!!!

Wow, what a riveting tale of wilderness adventure! I almost felt like I was there with you, clinging tooth and nail to the side of a perilous mountain, trying desperately to get you and your massive load back without plunging to a gruesome death!

That's what I love about this site, there's so many great storytellers it's almost enough to forget for a little while how miserable and bitter I am. :biggrin:

Or is that jealous. :mad: :frown::biggrin::biggrin:

Where's my keys.................................:lol:

5 spike
10-06-2009, 06:40 AM
what a hog good going guys congrats.

Ambush
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
SSS, you know that FD has been giving you used Duramax oil, in your mug, instead of coffee, and now you're hooked on road hunting!!:eek: It's not your fault, you just thought it was Starbucks.

After hopping around the Rock Garden for several days in the smoke, you deserve an easy one!:smile:

Good going and congratulations, but try and break the habit now while you're still strong.:p

Stone Sheep Steve
10-07-2009, 03:44 AM
SSS, you know that FD has been giving you used Duramax oil, in your mug, instead of coffee, and now you're hooked on road hunting!!:eek: It's not your fault, you just thought it was Starbucks.

After hopping around the Rock Garden for several days in the smoke, you deserve an easy one!:smile:

Good going and congratulations, but try and break the habit now while you're still strong.:p

Being the novice road warrior, I didn't realize that a non-spilly cup was essential for coffee drinking. Emptied my Thermos but only swallowed less than 1/3 of it.:rolleyes:

I might get a chance to stretch the legs this evening. Hopefully I remember how...............

Thanks for trying to pull me back from "The Darkside", Yoda:razz:.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
10-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Nice One Cal. Now Come Back To Work Ya Bum!

You guys at work be extra nice to Calvin when he gets back to work. Make sure to take all that stuff off his toolbox...........maternity bra, nursing pads, stretchmark cream etc .....and no commnets about his sore ovaries or "Kegel exercises". :-P

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Being the novice road warrior, I didn't realize that a non-spilly cup was essential for coffee drinking. Emptied my Thermos but only swallowed less than 1/3 of it.:rolleyes:

I might get a chance to stretch the legs this evening. Hopefully I remember how...............

Thanks for trying to pull me back from "The Darkside", Yoda:razz:.

SSS

Rookie! You have a lot to learn! Anytail was showing me the new non-spilly cup that he bought and how he modified his truck's cup holder so that it would sit flat and tight to the edges. He paid $30 for it - true dedication to the sport!

That begs the question - CORE is mandatory for hunting, and some bow hunters think IBEP should be mandatory for bow hunting: do you think the RHUMP (the Road Hunting University Mandatory Program) is a good idea?

In4TheHunt
10-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Nice going guys.

That if a nice Buck :)

calvin L
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
SSS . I am sure we could install a cup holder on the pack frame .

BCrams
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
SSS . I am sure we could install a cup holder on the pack frame .

Sorry to say Cal .... but his pack wouldn't be able to support the extra weight :lol:

landphil
10-13-2009, 11:35 PM
And here I thought this thread was about the do's and don'ts of road hunting! Nice buck, and a great thread - had a few good chuckles on my way through8)