PDA

View Full Version : Ironic???

killman
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Well I am back from the big Moose hunt. It started Saturday Sept 26/09 Loaded with everything I own and my first ever LEH draw for a Bull Moose. I was going with two buddies and were staying in a nice sized wall tent with a garage added to the end for cooking.
I had decided I was going to shoot my moose this year with my new to me .260 rem in a rem 700. I had been to the range with it alot and had loaded some Barnes TTSX 120 grns and felt confident that it would do the job. While doing a little exploring and going through a large deactivation ditch I heard a loud snapping noise like a stick hitting my quad. I looked to the ground and what I saw was not a stick at all but my new rifle. It had launched out of the case and I drove over it.:frown:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2055.JPG The first couple days we spent getting familiar with our surroundings and looking for sign.
There was not much to be seen which wasn't what we were hoping for. On the Second day I managed to get a Bull to answer my call but he was never seen. That was the last time we heard any sounds of moose on the trip.
Finally the weather turned cooler and we were happy with that but with the cool night brought us bright clear skies. On day number 3 we finally spotted a moose unfortunately there was no bone any where to be seen.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2043.JPG

We managed to see one more cow in the first five days, things were not looking good. On Wednesday one buddy had to go home, the next day we again saw a little new sign in the morning hunt and headed to town to pick up my buddies kid and have a shower and say Hi to the family. Friday morning was a cool foggy morning we headed off in a direction where we had been seeing sign. "New tracks on the road" I stopped at the road where they turned in and pointed to my buddy that we should go in. He had been hunting this area alot and had spent days at the end of this road in a large block calling and waiting. The first day he was there he had been there few hours when two guy's came up on a quad. He figured his hunt was ruined so he stood up and went and chatted with them then left. 10 min later they shot a bull just over the rise from where he had been calling.
Anyways back to Friday, My buddy waved and kept going, so up the road I went. I putted in to the block and had a look around nothing to be seen and no new sign. I stopped on a little rise near a small swamp and listened for a while, and decided to give the sleaziest cow call I could muster up. Waited and waited, nothing. I figured I should carry on to where we had intended to hunt and started my quad and started to pull away, then out of no where "A Moose"! I shut off the quad and grabbed my bino's, couldn't see a damn thing, from all the fog my bino's where all wet. Quickly wiped them off and had a look. "Cow" damn, wait a minute there is another one. Looks like a cow as well, but I better check. I slowly reached into my quad box and grabbed my spotting scope. I should mention they had made me and had me in there sights the whole time. Found the first one in my sight yes a cow now where is the second? there it is, looks like another cow then he turned his head. "HOLY SH!T IT'S A TWO POINT!" So I slowly slide off my quad, I have about 800 yrds to make up in order to get the shot. Slowly slip down a small gully and across to the skid trail trying to keep below the brush and out of sight. Finally I get to a brush pile that I figure is a do able shot. Now where is my range finder? "Damn it is still on the quad". I sneak up beside the brush pile and lay down and ready my gun, I can see sticks and grass in the scope and figure I better move. Sneak up a little higher lay down and rest the rifle, perfect. Now which one was the bull?
Checked out the first one, looks like the cow, the second? There he is "Now look at me so I can see those little bones" there they are, just then the cow starts to move and the bull starts to make his move. But too late I already had the steady cross hairs right where I wanted and squeezed the trigger. He dropped like he had been hit by lightning. The cow left and I proceeded to my trophy. Took a few snaps
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2047.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2049.JPG

Funny thing the night before sitting around the stove I pulled out all my knives and touched up the edges. I forgot to get a pics of my hands bloody for Bartell but he will have to take my word for it:D. I later ranged the shot at 220 yrds, I was shooting my Winchester model 70 in .338 win mag. 180 grn Nosler Accubonds. The bullet hit directly in the spine and passed through to the hide on the other side.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2052.JPG

So I tagged my first ever Immy and will have to wait for another day.

nano
10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Congrats on a great hunt!!

Gateholio
10-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Congrats, and you now have a good excuse to buy a expensive after market stock for your rifle.;-)

Gunner
10-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the bull Killman,and sorry to see what's left of the stock.I wish I had a DM stock to send you as a replacement,I'll keep my eyes peeled. Gunner

lilhoss
10-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Good job.Great story,good thing you didn't hold out for a bigger one.I'm like that too.1st one gets it,I've come home with a few LEH draw cards,and they don't fill up the freezer.Did you have a back up gun,spare? or did you get a new stock when you ran to town?I never liked having my rifle on the quad,always like to sling it across my chest.Awesome job.

killman
10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Congrats, and you now have a good excuse to buy a expensive after market stock for your rifle.;-)

Yup!!!!!!:D

killman
10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Congrats on the bull Killman,and sorry to see what's left of the stock.I wish I had a DM stock to send you as a replacement,I'll keep my eyes peeled. Gunner

Thanks Gunner.

killman
10-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Good job.Great story,good thing you didn't hold out for a bigger one.I'm like that too.1st one gets it,I've come home with a few LEH draw cards,and they don't fill up the freezer.Did you have a back up gun,spare? or did you get a new stock when you ran to town?I never liked having my rifle on the quad,always like to sling it across my chest.Awesome job.

After 6 day's of nothing I wasn't going to be picky. I had my .338 with me as well. I have never had a problem before with the case before but I think because the case in side is getting torn up it isn't as tight as it used to be.

steel_ram
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Crap, pretty sure that was one of my "never sell" rifles I sold on Gunnutz. Good opportunity to upgrade the stock.

Blainer
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Great finish to an otherwise tragic story.
Kinda like a fairy tale,all ends well.

killman
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Crap, pretty sure that was one of my "never sell" rifles I sold on Gunnutz. Good opportunity to upgrade the stock.

Sorry:oops: I love that gun. Don't worry it will return.

PGK
10-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice shootin buddy! That's good eats!

BCJunior
10-05-2009, 01:08 AM
way to go on the immy bull
always great to see another freezer full!!!
get your burger buns rdy

sawmill
10-05-2009, 03:47 AM
Glad to see you got one after busting up the rifle.Takes away some of the pain!

Little Hawk
10-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Great story man!

Pass me that barbecue-sauce over there will ya' Billy...

ratherbefishin
10-05-2009, 06:23 AM
nice bull-and the elusive ''immature'' too.I'm interested in the fact he was with the cow-maybe thats where to look for them

BiG Boar
10-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Isnt it funny, how you hunt for so many years for those darn immies, and when you finally have the LEH real deal, you go and shoot something like that. Congradulations on a full freezer.

mcrae
10-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Nice moose. You get a new stock for that rifle and trust me you will love it more!

I have an LEH right now in the W.Koots and I have yet to see a moose! In years past I see the damn things pretty much every trip out! But with LEH and tag in hand no moose to be seen.... Ironic yes....Funny... No!!!

Jager
10-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the moose and sorry to hear about the stock. I was half expecting to see a picture of a moose with a "bubba" repair job rifle. Nothing a whole lota duct tape couldn't fix! :-)

d6dan
10-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Congrats on the Immy Killman. should taste pretty good. sorry to hear about your stock.

Theo
10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Nice Job Shane.... Great Story!

todbartell
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
good job Killman :mrgreen: who says 180gr bullets wont kill out of a 338! :twisted:

killman
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
good job Killman :mrgreen: who says 180gr bullets wont kill out of a 338! :twisted:

Could you imagine how dead it would have been had it been a TTSX!:lol:

killman
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Picked up my meat tonight. 359 lbs. Had a look in their cooler, holy crap is there a lot of moose hanging in there!

Dadawa70
10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
That's a great immy. Congrats. Good thing you had the backup .338!
I can't image the disheartened feeling you musta had when you looked down and saw that Rem. stock snapped in two! Gawd.