PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Turkeys

palmer
01-03-2006, 10:18 PM
So what lenght does the beard of a Turkey have to be to be considered a trophy...or is there no such thing..?

Marc
01-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I think it also has to do with the spurs on the back of their legs or feet. I'm not sure I don't watch enough turkey hunting on TV to know. No wild turkey on the Island that I know of either.

Freshtracks
01-04-2006, 01:11 AM
So what lenght does the beard of a Turkey have to be to be considered a trophy...or is there no such thing..?

If I remember some of them down south shows correct ... a 6" beard and/or 3/4" spurs. But IMO, my first one is a trophy. :grin:

redlegdrake
01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
It needs to have a beard of 8" or better. As well as spurs of 3/4" or better. To start to be a real trophy. But this is info from arkansas so not sure it goes here. I have seen them in arkansas with 12" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Thats the kind you write home about. Though things are a little different with each subspecies. Buy the way what is the species here?? Anyone know??

Freshtracks
01-05-2006, 01:28 AM
The Merriam’s is the species predominat to the western US and Canada. The Eastern is in Ontario.

huntwriter
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
It needs to have a beard of 8" or better. As well as spurs of 3/4" or better. To start to be a real trophy. But this is info from arkansas so not sure it goes here. I have seen them in arkansas with 12" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Thats the kind you write home about. Though things are a little different with each subspecies. Buy the way what is the species here?? Anyone know??
This is correct for all of America. Also the gobbler should have a nice shaped fan that is fully intact (fan size is not scored only the beard and spures). Jakes (young males) fight often and all day long and thus their fans are often badly damaged.

There are five recognized sub species: Eastern, (not in Canada). Merriam's (some in Ontario and fewer still in south/east BC). Rio Grande (not in Canada). Florida (only in Florida) and the Gould's (not in Canada). Each species varies a bit in size and colour and in the habitat they prefer. The turkeys are quickly gaining in numbers and more find there way into Canada. There is hope that in a few years we will see more turkey species here. There is a smaller spread of Rio Grande just south of the border slowly making the way into the Lower Mainland. On the eastern side the Eastern heads toward Quebec. Strangely in Washington state they have a small flock of Eastern's too, heading closer to us.

That's the kind of American invasion I like. :D

For more info on the wild turkey go here:http://www.nwtf.org/

Freshtracks
01-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Uhmmm huntwriter,

You might have missed this.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/hunt/bows_guns3.shtml

palmer
01-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Well whatever kind they are we have a ton in Christina Lake...its nothing to see 50+ in a day..lots of very large males included...we will see what happens when the season opens on the 15 of April....

ruger#1
01-05-2006, 11:55 PM
lot of them around rock creek to, might take my fly rod to christina lake and see if i can catch one. please advise on what kind of fly i should tie up.

huntwriter
01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Ups, sorry I used data which is about two years old. I checked with the National Wild Turkey Federation and have to admit that the turkey advances at a rapid pace into Canada. This is good news, saves me annual trips to America in pursuit of gobblers.

Sorry about my mistake.

boxhitch
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Palmer - interesting to hear that the 'Ministry' figures that turkeys are an unwanted pest in region 8, thus the liberal seasons. So, I'll do my best at pest control, but hate to travel too far for only a single bird.

palmer
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
You could always do a Turkey/Bear combo...lots of nice fat bears here and for the costal folks lots of brown phase..probably 50/50

Freshtracks
01-06-2006, 08:59 PM
You could always do a Turkey/Bear combo...lots of nice fat bears here and for the costal folks lots of brown phase..probably 50/50

Palmer I got tired of tripping over them fall of '02 during my sons bull draw. Now that combo has perked some interest. Is the May long a good date, easier to make a 4 dayer. :wink:

palmer
01-06-2006, 10:10 PM
lots of bears out then, but the turks may be a little spooky by then...i'll tie a couple up for you