PDA

View Full Version : October 1st "Good eats" with pics

NoLimit99
10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Well I just got back from ft st james on a LEH bull moose hunt which I was robbed by a husband & wife couple who were patterning me in my spot and told me so after they took the bull moose I was working so hard to get with calling and sitting on a cow for a week no joke but oh well that's another story and a lesson learned.

Any who I got back home a week earlier on sept 30 at 11pm out of frustration and looked at the regs and noticed any buck starting oct 1 so I headed out with only about 5hours of sleep to try and walk off the frustration and take in some fresh air in a few spots I know.

I went to 4 spots I know that I've seen alot of action in but for some reason didn't see a single thing. It started to get late so I started to head home and passed a spot that I've wanted to check out but never had the time so being alone with nobody to complain I decided lets take a peek. I headed up this mtn and went up to 3484ft just before the snow line and couldn't go any more because the dips in the road were big and I didn't want to take my 4x4 truck in any more so I got out of the truck and started to walk.

I stepped out of my truck got my pack on and took about 9 steps and looked to my right and noticed a deer in a small patch of trees but I couldn't see the head only the body so the blood started to pump fast and I took my safety off and took another few steps to see the head, glassed and it was a doe to bad. Sure was exciting though...lol.

I figured I would go around the corner and watch her for a little bit and get her on video. I went around the corner to were she was, I saw what I thought was her & not thinking any thing of it started to watch her for about 5mins then noticed another deer step out. I glassed them both and the one deer I've been watching for the last 5mins thinking was a doe actually was a buck. Nothing big but hey it's a good eat buck and I got to cut a tag and take in a new memory. I was actually watching the buck for about 5mins before I noticed the doe and put 2+2 together, but when I did figure things out he was walking away in a hurry so I had to grunt to get him to stop for the shot.

Sorry for the long dragging story now for the pics.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/101_2221.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/101_2222.jpg

I actully shot him high because I forgot my gun was set for long shots and he was no more then 50ft so I had to walk up to him with a follow up shot got to me a little never had to do that before.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/101_2225.jpg

Also got some grouse while hunting my spots

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/101_2220.jpg

And I got this girl up in ft st james

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/101_2217.jpg

buckguy
10-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Nice pics. Sounds like a fun adventure. At least you got your meat buck done already.

d6dan
10-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Turned out okay for you. nice meat buck and some chickens. Nice color wolf. congrats...

BCJunior
10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
good lil meat buck, n chickens
yumm
cool wolf btw, congratz

Piperdown
10-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Bummer on the husband wife thing, but a nice way to finish. Now get yourself some chanterelles and white wine with the grouse and enjoy.

nano
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Nice pics, congrats!!!

NoLimit99
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Bummer on the husband wife thing, but a nice way to finish. Now get yourself some chanterelles and white wine with the grouse and enjoy.

Ya sucks to be robbed on your very first moose hunt, especially when you have a draw for a bull, kinda puts a sour taste in your mouth.

About the chanterelle shrooms Im out in the bush alot and see all kinds of mushrooms and have taken an interest in possibly picking them when im out in the bush hunting but scared and for good reasons to pick. Any body have any idea were I can get some pics and info about our local wild shrooms online that I can read up on and study for the next time Im out.

btw thanks to all for the comments over all it was a really good trip until that issue.

moosinaround
10-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I thought you were actually "Robbed" like at gun point or something?? I have called in moose before and have had other hunters shoot the moose I was calling in!! Happens!! Kinda sucks, but that's hunting!! Nice buck! He will taste very good! Tender Vittles for sure! Moosin

Blainer
10-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Ya sucks to be robbed on your very first moose hunt, especially when you have a draw for a bull, kinda puts a sour taste in your mouth.

Looks like a lesson learned.
Why did you put all your apples in 1 basket?
You are in an area full of moose and you concentrate all efforts on 1?
I'm not sure you can really call it robbed.
The realities of hunting.
Good looking wolf tho'.

NoLimit99
10-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Look at it like a lesson learned.
Why did you put all your apples in 1 basket?
You are in an area full of moose and you concentrate all efforts on 1.
I'm not sure you can really call it robbed.
The realities of hunting.
Good looking wolf tho'.

Of course you aren't sure you can call it robbed you weren't there in the situation I was but I wont waste my breath not worth it. And it is what it is read my post it states lesson learned you must of had an eye infu**tion while reading.

Blainer
10-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Of course you aren't sure you can call it robbed you weren't there in the situation I was but I wont waste my breath not worth it. And it is what it is read my post it states lesson learned you must of had an eye infu**tion while reading.Sorry,did'nt mean to offend you.
I recognize this is your second year of hunting and thought I would offer constructive advice.
Other hunters are a fact of hunting,and in many cases,more than one hunter have seen and target the same animal.
Possibly you should elaborate on how you feel you were robbed of this moose to give us a better understanding.

NoLimit99
10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Sorry,didn't mean to offend you.
I recognize this is your second year of hunting and thought I would offer constructive advice.
Other hunters are a fact of hunting,and in many cases,more than one hunter have seen and target the same animal.
Possibly you should elaborate on how you feel you were robbed of this moose to give us a better understanding.

Sorry to blow up on ya still a little pissed about my first moose draw. The deal went down like this I scouted a huge area out well over 265kms of land all around us on a trike in the freezing/raining weather very early every morning it was miserable none the less to finally seeing fresh tracks and signs not to mention all the gas money to get up to ft st james from abby, and the time spent and food for the trip. Eventually I saw the cow and it was getting close to rut so I stayed in the area she was in and called for a few days to try and pull out a bull but nothing. Then a older couple moved in 2 kms up from our camp no big deal we didn't care. I had to go past them every day to get to my honey hole were I was the only person in camp to find a cow in a full weeks worth of intense scouting from all of us we also just finished going back into town to fill up all our 12gas cans as we used up all our fuel scouting so more money but no big deal. That night we had a really good frost so early morning should be the day to pull him out. Went up there to my spot figuring I was going to get lucky when I noticed these 2 blaze orange heads moving up and down were I've been watching the cow, thinking and praying they had a cow/calf draw I went over to see what the commotion was because my hole was done for the day and asked them what they took and they said it just like this "the bull you've been calling in for the last 2 days". I asked to explain and thats when they told me they were watching me for the last 2 days were I've been going and went in after I left and noticed why I was staying there and told me they knew what time I left for my spot and went 1 hour early to get there before me and here's what angered me the most they said "WE DID YOU A FAVOUR" I still dont know what they meant by that. So I walked away and went back to camp before there was a accidental shooting. It was dark out by the time my camp friends came back and I told them about it, and they all flipped and was going to pay them a visit but they left about 3hrs after I got back to camp so to late. All I can say is I didn't believe some hunters can be that disrespectful.

PGK
10-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah well, last bull draw my old man had was ruined by some d-bags from vancouver who thought it would be a good idea to fling lead 450y at a bull we had called in to less than 200y from us. They shot it in the ass, twice. We then had to put it down for them, cause they're d-bags and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. There's jackasses all over, glad somebody shot a bull.

And if you hunted ft st james, and could only find one cow to sit on and wait for a bull, you weren't hunting as hard as you claim. Moose are like squirrels in that country.

NoLimit99
10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah well, last bull draw my old man had was ruined by some d-bags from vancouver who thought it would be a good idea to fling lead 450y at a bull we had called in to less than 200y from us. They shot it in the ass, twice. We then had to put it down for them, cause they're d-bags and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. There's jackasses all over, glad somebody shot a bull.

And if you hunted ft st james, and could only find one cow to sit on and wait for a bull, you weren't hunting as hard as you claim. Moose are like squirrels in that country.

If you say so. Glad I have you here to school me about ft st james big huntingbc high five to you.

frenchbar
10-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry to blow up on ya still a little pissed about my first moose draw. The deal went down like this I scouted a huge area out well over 265kms of land all around us on a trike in the freezing/raining weather very early every morning it was miserable none the less to finally seeing fresh tracks and signs not to mention all the gas money to get up to ft st james from abby, and the time spent and food for the trip. Eventually I saw the cow and it was getting close to rut so I stayed in the area she was in and called for a few days to try and pull out a bull but nothing. Then a older couple moved in 2 kms up from our camp no big deal we didn't care. I had to go past them every day to get to my honey hole were I was the only person in camp to find a cow in a full weeks worth of intense scouting from all of us we also just finished going back into town to fill up all our 12gas cans as we used up all our fuel scouting so more money but no big deal. That night we had a really good frost so early morning should be the day to pull him out. Went up there to my spot figuring I was going to get lucky when I noticed these 2 blaze orange heads moving up and down were I've been watching the cow, thinking and praying they had a cow/calf draw I went over to see what the commotion was because my hole was done for the day and asked them what they took and they said it just like this "the bull you've been calling in for the last 2 days". I asked to explain and thats when they told me they were watching me for the last 2 days were I've been going and went in after I left and noticed why I was staying there and told me they knew what time I left for my spot and went 1 hour early to get there before me and here's what angered me the most they said "WE DID YOU A FAVOUR" I still dont know what they meant by that. So I walked away and went back to camp before there was a accidental shooting. It was dark out by the time my camp friends came back and I told them about it, and they all flipped and was going to pay them a visit but they left about 3hrs after I got back to camp so to late. All I can say is I didn't believe some hunters can be that disrespectful.
WHEN THEY SAID WE DID YA A FAVOUR ,THEY WERE BEING SMARTASSES AND BASICALLY CALLING YOU A BAD HUNTER.THE GUY NEEDED A KICK TO THE BALLS.

NoLimit99
10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
WHEN THEY SAID WE DID YA A FAVOUR ,THEY WERE BEING SMARTASSES AND BASICALLY CALLING YOU A BAD HUNTER.THE GUY NEEDED A KICK TO THE BALLS.

Thats what the 4 other people I was with wanted to do to them and more. They are for sure lucky they left right away because when my hunting crew all came back and I told them and showed them the video I took of the whole incident they were so fired up and pissed they started getting into their vehicles to go take care of business and I had to tell them they left already. See I try and let it go but they wouldn't they are the rowdy bunch and boy they were fired up. they go to that spot of ours every year and have for the last 6 years it was my first going up with them so I hope they don't see them next year boy will shit hit the fan.

BigBanger
10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Lets see the video

moosinaround
10-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Got to let it go man!! Smoke a dube bro!! Shit like that happens! You don't want to go to jail and lose all your hunting and firearms rights by pressing the matter! Head out to a more remote spot. I have worked and hunted in the Ft St James country. There are pretty good moose numbers there. Not sure they are like "Squirrels?" but I am sure you could have found another. Hunting is tough where folks can see what yer doing. Need to get more off the beaten path! Thanks for killing the wolf, It is a awesome color! Saved a few moose while you were at it! Moosin

killman
10-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Sorry to here about your hunt, we were out at the same time not far as the crow flies from you. There wasn't much going on. Nice wolf, I only seen one wolf track the whole time out. Lots of bears though.