PDA

View Full Version : Muleys in tulameen

steyr06
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
headin up this weekend to do a bit hunting in the tulameen/coalmont area. anyone have any tips or good spots.
thanks

trailhunter
10-03-2009, 11:11 AM
load stone mountain

Adamski796
10-03-2009, 11:23 AM
look around the lawless creek area as well

Blainer
10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
load stone mountainThey logged the hell out of it.
Looks like it will be good in a couple(few) years.

Toad Hunter
10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
They logged the hell out of it.
Looks like it will be good in a couple(few) years.

I would rather hunt an area that been has had the hell logged out of it than the hell left in there.

And how would the lower mainland survive without logging?

2x4x16
10-03-2009, 12:07 PM
We were up at Lodestone a couple of weeks ago. Saw two great 2 points. huge body for a 2 point. Get right up to the top to Lodestone and follow the road towards Wells. About a couple of clicks past the lake thee will be a sign on the left."Champion" head through the woods and out the other side. Cruise the cut blocks stay up high - we did not see anthing other that right at the very top.

Backroads Map book - Thompson Okanagan Pg 6

Blainer
10-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I would rather hunt an area that been has had the hell logged out of it than the hell left in there.

And how would the lower mainland survive without logging?I'am by no means knocking logging,but fresh clearcuts leave little in the way of feed.
In about 3 years after a clearcut or burn,the area starts to re-develope green shoots and food plots and becomes a great area for hunting.

Blainer
10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
We were up at Lodestone a couple of weeks ago. Saw two great 2 points. huge body for a 2 point. Get right up to the top to Lodestone and follow the road towards Wells. About a couple of clicks past the lake thee will be a sign on the left."Champion" head through the woods and out the other side. Cruise the cut blocks stay up high - we did not see anthing other that right at the very top.

Backroads Map book - Thompson Okanagan Pg 6What was the condition of the road.
We got a jeep thru the goat trail from Loadstone to Champion last year,but no chance for my full size quad cab Dodge p/u.

Brambles
10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I'am by no means knocking logging,but fresh clearcuts leave little in the way of feed.
In about 3 years after a clearcut or burn,the area starts to re-develope green shoots and food plots and becomes a great area for hunting.

Fresh cutblocks can be the best, depending on what it is and when it was cut, it knocks down all the new growth and lichens so that the deer have easy access. Check em for sign to see if the animals are using them, don't just assume they arn't

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Fresh cutblocks can be the best, depending on what it is and when it was cut, it knocks down all the new growth and lichens so that the deer have easy access. Check em for sign to see if the animals are using them, don't just assume they arn't

Especially true if they've been logging fir.
Mulies love Witch's Hair. They usually can't wait for the loggers to leave...and typically don't wait.

SSS

trailhunter
10-04-2009, 06:58 AM
we used to hunt there when i was a kid..........it was nothing to see 30-40 deer a day. It sure was fun compared to the 3 a day i was raised with on the island. I missed a the buck of a life time by the lake..........ill never forget that deer, it was the dream muley.

2x4x16
10-04-2009, 07:31 AM
What was the condition of the road.
We got a jeep thru the goat trail from Loadstone to Champion last year,but no chance for my full size quad cab Dodge p/u.

The road to Champion is in great shape. From Champion down is quite tight. I wouldn't take a full size truck in there unless tree rubs don't bother you. I as well have a full size quad cab dodge - no way I would bring my truck into that stuff. It is only a short push through some tight bush -on the other side it's completely clear, lots of room for a quad and the Suzuki's can make it to.

steyr06
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
thanks for the tips. anyone know of a good butcher in the area?