PDA

View Full Version : Called in my first bull moose on Thursday. Pics included.

gary murray
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
On my way through the early morning darkness to set up my camp an immature bull was on the road and ran into the trees about 50 yards from where i was going to set up camp. I unloaded the quad and waited for light and then walked up the road to where he was. I tried calling him using cow bawls and got a reply but he wouldn't come in to me. As i kept trying i heard another grunt from behind me so i walked down the road and realized it was from up behind my camp. This guy wasted no time coming in to my calls. Too bad i didn't have an LEH because he was too big to take. When he came in i could see all the saliva dripping from his mouth. He was only 20 yards away and he tried walking closer so i had to yell at him so he wouldn't get too close. Anyhow, here are some pics. To all those guys like me that have tried calling and never had much success? It's something you wont forget when it happens the first time.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/moose1.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/moose2.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/moose3.jpg

mark
10-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nice dropper on that bull!

gary murray
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Nice dropper on that bull!
I know. I was in so much awe when he first came through those trees in pic #1. I could hear him breaking large branches and stumbling over logs on his way in. He sounded like he was a long ways off but he wasn't that far at all. It's almost like they can throw their voices.

bsa30-06
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
nice bull.Were you in 3-17 by chance that area looks familiar.

gary murray
10-03-2009, 12:10 PM
nice bull.Were you in 3-17 by chance that area looks familiar.
I was off the 201 FSR in region 8-09.
I'm cursing the LEH system right now for not giving me a draw this year.:cry:

ydouask
10-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Gary, Congrats on the calling, it is such an effective and thrilling way to hunt. Don't get me started on the LEH !

308Lover
10-03-2009, 01:12 PM
It's exciting for sure! My only mistake over the years was not waiting long enough. Had a bull cross an entire valley to get close-crashing brush all the way. LOL This one's a "drooler" for sure, and he's pissed at you for not putting out--LOL NIce pics.

gary murray
10-03-2009, 01:20 PM
It's exciting for sure! My only mistake over the years was not waiting long enough. Had a bull cross an entire valley to get close-crashing brush all the way. LOL This one's a "drooler" for sure, and he's pissed at you for not putting out--LOL NIce pics.
That's been my problem too. Not waiting long enough. They say to at least wait for 4 hours before moving on. He did try walking closer to me as you can see in pic #2 so i had to yell at him to avoid getting raped lol.

bsa30-06
10-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I almost made the mistake of not waiting long enough last year,i actually stood up to leave the area and then the bull responded.you guys are right though it is real exciting when they respond and come in, and they can make some loud weird noises.

300H&H
10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice bull.

I think im going to bring you with me, I have a LEH bull in 3-12 for all of Nov.

Snowed all morning.

Blainer
10-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I almost made the mistake of not waiting long enough last year,i actually stood up to leave the area and then the bull responded.you guys are right though it is real exciting when they respond and come in, and they can make some loud weird noises.Did you harvest the moose?
We love pictures.

Good pictures there Gary.
Damn leh.

martyonthewater
10-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Great photos, looking fwd to trying my hand at calling in a moose myself here in the next 2 weeks.glad to here about the snow in ok area as well

ydouask
10-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Gary... Four hours? I thought I was fairly patient, but FOUR HOURS??? Are you sure he didn't say, "Wait for an hour".????

BCJunior
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
awesome job, n not a bad bull either!
just lookin to play n will see another day ;)

gary murray
10-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Gary... Four hours? I thought I was fairly patient, but FOUR HOURS??? Are you sure he didn't say, "Wait for an hour".????
Just what i read in hunting magazines from moose experts. I think i would move on after an hour or so if i wasn't getting any action.