PDA

View Full Version : upcoming fly in moose hunt

srupp
10-02-2009, 11:30 PM
So I am just about ready for my "annual once in a lifetime " fly in moose hunt :eek:..Tim and I are being joined by a fellow paramedic who happens to own his own plane..:roll: on floats...

We will be leaving Sunday or Monday..Tim and Rollie have both got bull moose LEH tags..me???just along for the late nites and early mornings and potatoes from a box..

I have everything ready at home..hmmm carpets are ripped out, dry wall patching is done, undercoat and two top coats of paint , electrician coming Monday to redo the elctrical switches/plugs, carpets get laid next Friday, ordered new inside doors, and new closet doors,then its just put the bedromm stuff back in the rooms, and do the third bedroom which gets us ready for the dining room/living room..

All the HUNTING gear is laid out for Tims inspection in the AM..

I purchased a "new" Achilles zodiac inflatable type boat..9'6" and holds 990 pounds and compacts well enough for these fly in hunts..the Abbotsford police/firemen hunting crew dropped it off yesterday...new they are $1700 this one is used 4 x and looks new , only 12 months old I got for 1/2 price roughly..so it fit the budget..:lol:

If anyone is coming up and they needed to speak with me or I was to call..PLEASE send a PM so I can respond before we leave..

cheers
Steven

trigger
10-03-2009, 12:29 AM
cant wait to see some pics and read some stories. good luck guys

5 spike
10-03-2009, 03:30 AM
sounds like a great trip, good luck.

Blainer
10-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Best of luck.
Lot's of pictures.Better post them quickly this time to avoid controversy.lol

kennyj
10-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Good luck Steven,hope you guys have a blast.Take lots of pics as usual.
kenny

bsa30-06
10-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Good luck.....lookin forward to your pictures.

KodiakHntr
10-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Good luck, and have a good trip.

plumbob
10-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Good luck on the trip Steven and others,sounds like a great trip,take lots of pics.

srupp
10-03-2009, 08:42 AM
lol what is it with pictures..cant I just describe what we seen, did, got??Lol c'mon guys..dont I always post the pictures immediatly...:eek::biggrin:;)

cheers

long nite shift now Tim will be here soon......to discuss the trip..

steven

NaStY
10-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Good luck and play safe...

ydouask
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
So, let's assume you help Rollie pack out his big bull and he gives you half... and then you do the same for Tim.... now the LEH boys each have half a moose and you? ??? Hell of a deal ! Good Luck.

silvercreek20
10-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Good Luck Steve,

It will be nice for a "get away" after all the nice work you have done in your house. It looked REALLY good by the way.

Can't wait for the pics,

Have fun,

Mike

srupp
10-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Hmmm If I get a couple 'quarters "I will still be more than fine..

Mike...Thanks Bro.. its been a SLUG and only 40 % done..:eek:..the major woodwork is coming up..

Kyle....sorry buddy..I was SO VERY BUSY...hope I wasnt TOO CURT....:-(

CONGRADS on your buck today...

cheers

Steven

Brambles
10-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Bring your own friggen camera, some of us try and set a good example by posting pictures in a timely fashion...........some of us.

Don't forget the rulez.

Have fun, don't get mauled. Remember, your buddies only have to run faster than you.

PGK
10-03-2009, 06:56 PM
If you don't post pictures of this trip, I'll post all the ones you didn't post from your sheep trip. You know, all those ones that give away the location, that you didn't password protect in your photobucket album. Don't worry, I already saved the ones that give the location :biggrin: Post pictures of moose trip inside one day after you get back, or I show the entire forum exactly where you killed your sheep :biggrin:

mountainman
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Play safe buddy! Don't poke any holes in that inflatable boat in the middle of the lake!

srupp
10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
bye bye folks...:biggrin: see ya later///

steven:grin:

srupp
10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Hmmmm back from moose hunt THEN Victoria long service awards @ Government house then cutting up moose...:tongue:...

computer finally crashed and burned..got it fixed and will hook it up tonight,,,...

GREAT trip..called in 13 moose in 5 days 8 of them bulls..got 2 bulls and YES WITH PHOTOS..LOL..:oops:

just saying HI for now..moose butchering clean up tonight..:smile:

cheers
Steven

ps hopefully when my computer sustem crashed I didnt lose evrything there..

sr

boxhitch
10-16-2009, 08:39 PM
....yawn....

10-16-2009, 08:44 PM
What kind of floatplane does your friend have? (I used to fly a Super Cub on floats)

srupp
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM
182 on oversized floats with a up grade to 300 hp...

computer is now hooked up photos tomorrow after work..

Steven:tongue:

yukon john
10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
just got back from the north and everything froze up way early this year at least where we were (kawdy, dease area) made it a little sketchy for some boat hunters. Be careful and good luck!

srupp
10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100290001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100430001-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100340001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100390001-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100240001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100140001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100130001-1.jpg

bruin
10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Great photos, looks like a "once in a lifetime adventure". Looking forward to the story

The Hermit
10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
VERY Cool!! I'd love to have a plane!!! Hummmm now my little brain of scheming double time!!

plumbob
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Awsome pics Steven,looks like a trip to remember for sure.

10-19-2009, 06:16 PM
VERY Cool!! I'd love to have a plane!!! Hummmm now my little brain of scheming double time!!

Aircraft prices have really come down since the economic downturn. You could buy a nice 180 or 185 on floats for less than the price of a high end luxury import.

But it's the operating costs you really have to watch. Fuel burn on one of those will run 10-15gph, plus your maintenance costs, plus annual inspection, plus insurance (especially a low time pilot on floats) will all add up pretty quickly.

I have only ever seen one or two 182s on floats as very few of them came with a float kit.

Those are great pictures, and congratulations on the moose.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks like the tongue-thrashing by the HBC crew worked!!:lol:

Nice pics Steven!

Good moooooooooooooooooooooooooosies!!

Congrats!!

SSS

Blainer
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Beautifil photo's and a couple fine moose.
Sounds like a good trip/year for ya.

srupp
10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
My bud Tim had a draw for 5-10 and so did Rollie..who works for BCAS..so we arranged to fly in to a lake..Rollie picked one that "had good trails to go hunt moose...

We drove to Pine Point Resort @ Nimpo Lake..and Rollie arrived and we made 3 trips in with all the gear:roll:..the lake was remote and we picked a "island" to camp on..Rollie already had 3 tents and a small fold a boat in on the lake from a few days previously..

We set up camp and then tried to "convince" Rollie that we were NOT going to hike all around the lake searching for moose..we would in fact call the moose in to us...Rollies look at our claim was one of disbelief...

Next day we chose one of the larger meadows and quietly boated down.. we hung out tampons with moose urine and started calling..and calling and calling...later that eveing the first bull came in from over 1 mile away...Tim kept calling pulling the BIG fellow in like he was on a string..closer and closer..only stopping to sniff the air..thrash the bushes with his rack and look for trhe lovely miss moose that was no where to be seen...:lol:

Tim kept the calling up and eventually the bull hung up a mere 70 yards from the lake edge so Tim dumped him...splash one moose..we skinned out Mr Bullwinkle..and headed back to camp to celebrate...and eat dinner..

Next morning we quartered the bull out and loaded him in the float plane Rollie took off to Nimpo lake to put the bull in cold storage..
Tim and I cleaned up did some more calling and readied for day 2..

Next day we called another bull ..we could hear the grunting wuuuu...ughhhh from a long long way off..eventually we could even hear the breaking of branches as the excited bull crashed through the heavy underbrush..and then...there he was standing in all his glory on the shore of the lake the evening red hues from the setting sun making his rack glow in the fading light....

Now after 3 shots we realized the guys had....er,,,, MISSED!!!:biggrin:...FROM PRETTY CLOSE RANGES TO BOOT..ha ha ha..some really heavy dishing ..all in good fun was had that evening...

The next day we headed the other way and spent the day calling steadily..the weather was calm and COLD...after many hours of calling the bullS..PLURAL started showing up..soon we had 4 BULLS at various places looking for love..

So Rollie picked the bull FARTHEST in from the shore...380 yards in on the meadow..with 3 other bulls right on the shore..SHEEEESH..:mrgreen: however he dropped his bull and our tags were done another nite of celebrating..next moring we quartered the bull and Rollie flew the second moose out, Tim and I stayed overnite..cleaning up camp..

The following day we flew out and back to Nimpo..were Rollies wife and Rollies good friend shared with us just HOW convinced Rollie was that we sure know how to call moose and to moose hunt..totally convinced..lol..

All in all we called 8 bulls in and saw another 7 cows and calfs...not too bad in 5 days and on a lake we never hunted before..

It was a blast and a place I would go again..

It was a fast trip for meat moose...the bulls body sizes were exceptional..the shooting wasted virtually no meat..and the racks were 42-45" mature meat moose....

The plane worked well as did Rollies flying Tims cooking was exceptional as was the selection of 'beverages"....

cheers

Steven...

sorry for the delay..however my computer crashed and needed some $$$$$ repairs...I posted the photos when I was ready...and had time and a functioning computer...

BCrams
10-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Hey great moose hunt Steven!! You have a knack for getting it done on those hunts!! Its been a great year for you with your Stone's trip earlier!

d6dan
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Excellent story and pics Steven. Thats a perfect trip with good friends!. Congrats to all:grin:...

srupp
10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks Greg..yes a phenominal year..great successful grizzly hunt in Kwatna..then lifetime achievement in the stone sheep..now in on a very enjoyable successful mooses hunt..:biggrin:..now for one more moose tag and some deer tags and then elk hunt..:roll:..

Saw your article on deer hunting and Deaddogs article also WELL DONE..enjoyed both articles..

Steven

killman
10-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Congrats Steven, sound like you had a great a time. And got moose to boot!

Johnnybear
10-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Congrats big time on your adventure and moose! Great story and photos. Thanks Scrupp for posting them up:grin:.

jackpine
10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
good job as usual steve!!!

srupp
10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Morning jackpine..thank you....I was thinking of you yesterday as I went out to "your lake " and found no fresh moose sign but a BIG camp of natives from Kamloops..fair bit of drinking happening..:-(..and they were shooting everything in site... that being doe deer...:eek:..no openings for them there..:cool: however no moose were seen or called in may try again in a few days//

cheers
Steven

ps coming to Kamloops at the end of the month on way to pick up some furniture in Kelowna..and some reloading supplies @ Wholesale sports in Kamloops...call you and buy you a coffee???

cheers
Steven

Elkhound
10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice job Steven....great to have a successful hunt like that with good friends

Mik
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Looks like an amazing spot, great pics. Congrats on yet another fine hunt!Mike

Toad Hunter
10-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks good.

Man, on a different note, do you use an Apple computer?

silvercreek20
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice pics and great job Steve!!

srupp
10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Dave, Mike...

Toad Hunter..nope just a 8 year old Windows unit

Steven

Toad Hunter
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Dave, Mike...

Toad Hunter..nope just a 8 year old Windows unit

Steven

Now, I do not have an apple myself but that is my next computer.

I am just suggesting that you might want to look at one. They are better than a Toyota!

Springer
10-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Great Story Elmer !! Another picture of you and Tim and a downed Moose for the scrapbook hey!! Looks like Tim was the keeper of the kitchen again,and for good reason he does a great job there hey.

Congrats Steve and good luck in your drive in area.

Toad Hunter I use a Apple PC and have never had a bit of trouble with it.

BiG Boar
11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Sounds like an awsome hunt! Would love to do that one some day. Didnt get around to one this year. Sould bump into you sometime this month. Can't wait to hear more details!

trigger
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
awesome pics bud. Looks like a beautiful area and some nice bulls as well. congrats

srupp
11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks Dave WELCOME HOME...

it was a BLAST and yes you should come along on one of these fly ins...you would love it..

cheers
Steven:mrgreen: