PDA

View Full Version : Good news Hunting story

ohno
01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I saw on the news last night (Global) a story about this lake in Abbottsford where there is lead shot killing swans.

Anthony Toth from BCWF was on explaining how the Wildlife federation was going to help clean up the lead shot. The news said it was from the hunters using lead shot, but did not mention that lead shot has been banned for quite a few years now.

I thought it was about time we saw some good news stories about hunters. We are the first conservationist.

Marc
01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
It's good to see them clean it up, but they are also saying that we are the cause of the problem in the first place. You know as much as I do that people always remember the bad and not the good. Hopefully we can help save a few swans so the americans can shoot them when they cross the border.

Marc.

Dirty
01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I thought that the lead shot was because of the Americans becuase the location is on the border? Can anybody verify this?

houndogger
01-03-2006, 06:37 PM
That is what I heard them say on the news. It was the americans blasting lead in on their side.

ruger#1
01-03-2006, 06:41 PM
i used to fish that lake for bass, which someone put there, and ducks were also hunted on the canadian, and the americans still use lead shot.when i fished the lake it was only 4 feet deep. there is more than lead to worry about, all the pesticides from the berry feilds is another.

Fred
01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
There was a test done on the Canadian side of Laxton Lake to see how much lead there was on our side. The result was that there is quite a lot, BUT, it has sunk so deep that the birds can't possibly reach it. Most of the toxic poisoning comes from the American side where they still use lead shot. The birds either die on this side or more often,the carcasses are blown over the border by the prevailing winds. Fred

Husky7mm
01-03-2006, 09:49 PM
i used to fish that lake for bass, which someone put there, and ducks were also hunted on the canadian, and the americans still use lead shot.when i fished the lake it was only 4 feet deep. there is more than lead to worry about, all the pesticides from the berry feilds is another.
Do those bass taste like lead duck terds with a hint of round up?:razz:

redlegdrake
01-04-2006, 05:22 PM
The U.S. banned the use of lead for waterfowl back in the 80s. Though it can still be used for upland in some states. The fine is 125$ a shell for the first 3 shells and 85$ a shell for each shell after that ( in Arkansas). Other states maybe more or less. Just think if you picked up the wrong box of shells on the way to the blind. One might need a small loan to get ot of jail.

ruger#1
01-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Fred that lake is Judson . lax ton is a bit north west. it is probably full of lead to. never fished that one, herd it is shallow. sorry husky it was back in 1978 when i fished it. they caught a couple of east Indians, putting herbicides in there wells just west of abbotsford airport a couple of years ago. people were getting sick , the herbicides were in the aqua fire, what a waste of good water, they thought they could do a short cut and spray it on the Fields from the well. now that isn't funny.

CHilko21
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
... they caught a couple of easter Indians, putting herbicides in there wells just west of abbotsford airport a couple of years ago. people were getting sick , the herbicides were in the aqua fire, what a waste of good water, they thought they could do a short cut and spray it on the Fields from the well. now that isn't funny.

Some short cut:???: