PDA

View Full Version : 4-23 questions for Elk

Mtn Wonderer
10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I am a novice elk hunter and have a few questions.

When does the rut cease?

Should I be still bugling or just cow calls??

I have seen a few bulls and a cow the last few evenings, I am hunting after work. so evenings only.

I saw a bull tonite for a very short time, possibly a 6 point.
I was driving a narrow road just checking out the country and I see this elk at the same time he sees me and My truck. He takes for the timber. I get out of my truck and walk down the road. I can't see the elk. So I let out a bugle (nothing) then wait a little while and start with cow calls nothing happens.

Then I head back to the truck and drive to get a better vantage point From here I glass and look with my spotting scope but never did see the elk again. I never did set foot in the timber as I didn't want to spoil the Ground?

I am thinking of goiing there again and walking in a km or two to have a
look hopefully he's in the same area.

If he's not visable would it be advisable to call? If so should I just cow call. Or would bugling still be worth while??

Any Ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

MW

bearass
10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I would suggest you go into the area that you think he is holding up in or as close to his bedding area as you can get.Try cow calling ten too fifteen times every 20 to 30 minutes for aperiod of one to two hours. Make sure you set up in a place with good visiblity and keep your eyes pealed If he is close by he most likely will come in silent.;-)