PDA

View Full Version : Excited about a new family member!

greenhorn
10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey HBCers;

Next week my wife and I are heading up to Vernon to see some family. While we're there we'll be picking up our new 8mo. old Lab-Golden cross.

This pooch has had a fair amount of basic obedience training and has also been trained for long distance commands.

So, I intend to take him out with me as my partner in the field and I want to make sure I don't mess this up.

I checked out the thread about de-sensitizing puppies to gunfire, lots of good info there that I'll try out.

I'm also wondering if there's any training you can do so that if/when puppy sees some game he doesn't take off and get himself hurt or lost. Ideally, I'd like it so that he stays by my side at all times no matter what.

Is this unrealistic for a dog that hasn't been bred for hunting?

Any good books you'd recommend on this?

Thanks!

Manglinmike
10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
If he is a lab -golden cross then he was bred for hunting.

Manglinmike
10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
theres a book called "water dogs" that is a very good book and they tell you to start the dog at a very young age,and how to get him used to the gun.

greenhorn
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
If he is a lab -golden cross then he was bred for hunting.

Sorry, what I meant was that he wasn't bought from a breeder who raises them with hunting in mind.

I'll check that book out.

Thanks

kinderdoggin
10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
First of all, don't forget to post a picture when you pick up your new pup. This is mandatory :)

In regards to your question regarding training him to stay at your side- a solid understanding of obedience will secure this behavior. It sounds like he has already had some training but at his age it certainly doesn't hurt to continue on. He will need to know how to 'heel' off-leash even when distracted or excited. Practice makes perfect!

Be sure to keep an eye on this forum and watch for any upcoming seminar annoucements from "Bopper" (Doug Grant). A weekend spent with Doug will be the best investment you can make for your pup's hunting career!

~Erin

bopper
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Erin!....If any of you would like to have a training seminar in your area for next Spring, send me a p.m. and we'll try to set one up...
Good luck with your new dog!
By the way, I don't recommend Richard Wolters books; I have seen a lot of problems caused by people trying to follow his program. Much better for you to get the Mike Lardy tapes or the Evan Graham program...
Bopper

greenhorn
10-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I'll try to find those books online, maybe there are some used copies for sale somewhere.

I'll post up a pic when we get there next week. His name is Mick!!

dutchie
10-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Congrats!!

Getting a 4 legged friend is the best descion you will ever make!!!

Dogs are your best friend!!!

Congrats and I expect pitctures!!!

Dutchie

greenhorn
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Sorry its taken so long for the pics.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_4735.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15916&cat=500&ppuser=3976)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_4733.jpg

greenhorn
10-25-2009, 11:48 PM
We've had him for just over two weeks now and he is really adjusting well to our family.

He has some puppy like tendencies, but responds well to both my wife and I who have worked really hard at being consistent with him.

I've had him out for a few hikes and he really loves being out there, and has an endless amount of energy.

Looking forward to training with him so that he can be a buddy in the field!

kinderdoggin
10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Good looking dog!