PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Bow Blacktail

BiG Boar
10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I wanted to give some of the first buck meat back to the land owner from the first one I shot on opening day. I had made 5 types of sausage out of it, and i He said, if this meat is as good as you say, why dont you shoot a second one. I thought about that for about 2 seconds and agreed I should.

It was raining, but the deer were out feeding, so I snuck in and whacked this one with my ted nugent blood brother compound bow. Should be good meat, but this was an old buck, teeth were about 1/8th of an inch or less all the way around. I wouldnt be surprised if this guy was also on the downhill slope of old age. 1 shot, with a broadhead, clean pass through, and he walked away and had a lay down.

Please feel free to judge my shot placement, I was trying to hug the shoulder and he was heading to my right, perfectly broadside. Am I too far back? Will the montec cs 100 gr broadheads go right through the front shoulder? I was trying to avoid the front leg. 60lbs pull on the bow. Either way it did work, but he wasnt pouring out blood from the exit (just a slow leak), and he wasnt bleeding out of his mouth. Cheers BB14

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_0287.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_0286.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/IMG_0281.jpg

jrjonesy
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Being that he's dead, I wouldn't say you weren't too far back:biggrin:.

It looks like that shot is borderline back of lungs, liver. A touch higher and you probably would have been all lungs. With the Montec and shooting 60lbs you won't have to worry too much about catching the front shoulder. Your setup gives you some breathing room as it won't pass right through but it would will bust through the front shoulder and at a minimum lodge in the off shoulder. The deer will be dead in 10 seconds at the most.

Congrats on great buck! You're doing great with your bow!

beardown
10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
nice buck and great shot!

BiG Boar
10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Went out for black bear last weekend with my bow on the north part of Vancouver island for 5 days and didnt see more than one stinking bear (too far away)! Could have whacked a 6x6 bull elk, but no LEH for me. I still have no idea how I didnt see more that one bear. Last time I was there we saw 15 in 3 days. Too bad, because one of those montecs was wanting to be inside a bear. Anyone know how to resharpen them?

Blainer
10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice buck.
I like those chocolate racks.
Good on ya!,but you look like you are wearing your Sunday best,all clean and tidy.lol

d6dan
10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Well,hes dead and thats what matters. shot placement must of been good. Congrats BB14. nice buck:grin:..

Mr. Dean
10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Jesus!
The Great White Hunter, does in another.

He doesn't look all that grey,,, maybe he just wore down them teeth from all of the year round unlimited feed. And I agree with the others; if he's dead, the shot was FINE.

kennyj
10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Thats a beautiful old buck.I'd say if he walked away,lay down and died, it was a good shot.As for the bears? Maybe at a different food source?
kenny

Manglinmike
10-01-2009, 08:17 PM
That is a very nice looking dear and as it has allready being said ,if you can post pics of a dead buck then the shot could not have been half bad! As for bears ,I was in Gold River last weekend looking for elk and the only bears that I saw were way up at the top of the mountians eating in the 3ft tall berry patchs.

BearSniper
10-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Great buck

Shot placement is excellent.

I couldn't hit the wide side of a Boxcar with a bow, so you did just fine.

Obviously it knocked him to the ground.:wink:

blackbart
10-01-2009, 10:56 PM
The buck thinks that the shot placement was terrible! He would have much preferred two feet higher or lower.

I think that it looks pretty good. You were trying to kill the beast were you not? A couple of inches forward would have been better than a couple of inches backwards, but that is being very picky considering the end result.

BiG Boar
10-02-2009, 06:55 AM
As for bears ,I was in Gold River last weekend looking for elk and the only bears that I saw were way up at the top of the mountians eating in the 3ft tall berry patchs.

I was camped 60 kms from gold river, and hiked into all the clear cuts, high and low, drove like a madman, high and low, searching for any kind of fresh sign (none that was less than a week old), glassed like a ninja for hours, called with 2 different predator calls for up to 30 minutes with a frequency of every 2-10 minutes, and finally gave up and sat down at camp and had a beer. That of course is when we saw the only bear of the trip, which we did have a go at, but my buddy who had the shot was afraid of the bear in the woods and was staying "a fair distance" away from the edge of the woods "for fear the thing lunged out at him".

I wish I knew what the bears were up to, maybe its just bad luck that weekend.

stanway
10-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Congrats on another nice blacktail! Good job!

BigBanger
10-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Nice buck man .

Chillybilly
10-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Nice Buck. Perfect shot placement. Congrats!

Steeleco
10-02-2009, 08:39 AM
2 down 1 to go, hell Dave slow down man, there's so much season left. :lol::lol:
Well done, great looking buck.

rifleman
10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
nice heavy dark rack, great pictures. thanx for sharing

BCJunior
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
very nice buck, the cinnamon antlers make all the diffrence :)
i have not taken down a blacky yet.. i am so inspired!!!
..itl come aha
congratz on the buck!

Gateholio
10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
great blacktail!:cool:

riflebuilder
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
That is a great old buck with lots of character and the shot placement looks good and it was as that is a very dead deer.

huntsooke1
10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
thats a unique buck forsure congrats