PDA

View Full Version : Elk behaviour/hunting question

eaglesj
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey guys,

3 weeks ago, I called in a 5x5 elk within a 100 yards. Being new to hunting, I waited for a better shot, but he ended up leaving, and when I went after him, I must have spooked him. Last weekend, I went to the same area and was bugling. I heard some chirping/grunting (not sure) and some bugling, but nothing was getting closer. I decided to go towards the bugling and at the other end of the cutblock, I heard some grunting just inside the trees and after some grunting of my own, a spiker came out. I continued to grunt, but then I bugled and when I looked up, the elk was nowhere to be seen, but I could still hear him grunt every once in a while as he was getting farther and farther away. Did I scare him off with the bugling? And will there be bigger ones in the area. Should I stay put this time of year, or should I do as I did and try to make it seem like I'm invading their territory? Any help would be great.

elkdom
09-30-2009, 10:08 PM
you want the 5x5's or 6x6's?? this time of year the satellite bulls are looking for stray cows, not a BEATING!

you gotta sound sexy and lost and helpless :redface:

todbartell
09-30-2009, 11:28 PM
transform yourself into a sleazy cow and the grunting may get closer and not further!

mountainman
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Try something different, different cow calls with a small sounding bugle high without grunting and watch your wind lots of scent control too. The spiker would have ran like a scared kid when you bugled thinking he was going to be spanked by a drunken sailor!

eaglesj
10-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm assuming cow calling should bring the bigger ones in too? I don't care about the size of elk I get, as long as it is 3 points.