PDA

View Full Version : .325 wsm

derek p
01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm considering a new rifle for this upcoming season, the .325 has definetly caught my attention and I'm wondering if anybody has any insight to share. I'm partial to the browing a bolt, stainless stalker 23" barrel. any comments or insight would be appreciated.

Gateholio
01-02-2006, 09:40 PM
If I had a 300 Magnum, that I liked, I wouldn't be trading it in for a 325 WSM.:D

todbartell
01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
that being said, if you're shopping for a new rifle to handle game, big stuff like elk and moose, then a 325 WSM would be a good choice. It hits hard and shouldnt be too hard kicking, in a normal weight rifle.

derek p
01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
when I lived in Terrace I had the pleasure of using all of my father's guns, 7mm,.358, I personally own a 30-06 and a .243 that is now the wife's gun. primarily I like to hunt moose but since leaving the north, deer are the targets now. considering a hunt into the grand forks area for mulie, moose, whitetail and possibly an elk. would like to have one great gun for all.

Gateholio
01-02-2006, 10:26 PM
A 325 should work for you, but I bet the factory ammo is $$$, which may or may not be a consideration for you...:-D

todbartell
01-02-2006, 10:51 PM
$50 a box for 200 gr. Winchester Supreme

for comparison, 300 WSM is $40

derek p
01-02-2006, 11:00 PM
if it was all about the money I'm sure we would all get our meat from the store. I have a reloading press so handloads are an option for most calibres

palmer
01-02-2006, 11:55 PM
when I lived in Terrace I had the pleasure of using all of my father's guns, 7mm,.358, I personally own a 30-06 and a .243 that is now the wife's gun. primarily I like to hunt moose but since leaving the north, deer are the targets now. considering a hunt into the grand forks area for mulie, moose, whitetail and possibly an elk. would like to have one great gun for all.

If you decide to hunt GF give me a shout..I can give you some clues..Your 30-06 will kill everything here. The ELK are on LEH,Moose are immature or LEH and deer here are not monsters..that being never let me stop a man from buying more GUNS...I have heard very good things about the .325...have fun looking ....

TinMan
01-03-2006, 12:08 AM
What about Federals 338 I know its new and not out yet I dont think but I know it got a few ppl excited here.

todbartell
01-03-2006, 12:22 AM
aint nothing wrong with a 338-08, but compared to the 325WSM it wont propel heavy bullets as fast, and lack downrange ballistics (comparing them head to head). sure would be poison if most of your shots were 250 yards and closer though.

also the old 338 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge worthy of a long look.

Husky7mm
01-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Unless things have changed in the past month or so you can't even buy factory 325 ammo in canada yet. You can however buy the gun.

bcboy
01-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm considering a new rifle for this upcoming season, the .325 has definetly caught my attention and I'm wondering if anybody has any insight to share. I'm partial to the browing a bolt, stainless stalker 23" barrel. any comments or insight would be appreciated.

kinda thinkin of one myself:-)

Busterbrown
01-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I purchased a Winchester Coyote 325 WSM last Sept and have been unable to purchase ammunition in Canada. I was told by the selling dealer that it may not be available for some time

Husky7mm
01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Derek you are going to miss living in hunting country.I moved away from the lower mainland 5 mth ago and I couldnt be happier:biggrin: I hope you like to burn gas.Good luck down there, it's hecktick!

bcboy
01-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Unless things have changed in the past month or so you can't even buy factory 325 ammo in canada yet. You can however buy the gun.

I imagine this is only a gliche..has anyone e-mailed winchester cuzz if they know I would be surpised.

Husky7mm
01-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Its something to do with the canadian border, the round has not been tested yet buy some safty department. This is only what I heard.

bcboy
01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Anyone heard when/where we can buy 325 wsm ammo.??

Gateholio
01-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I am sure you can find the BRASS, and if not, you can easily neck up 300wSM A BRASS.

After that, it is easy...:razz:

Just need a tapered expander.

cwocarsten
01-12-2006, 01:46 AM
I have a 338 and it is the best. Killed many elk, moose and deer. I also have a girlie rifle too........243 and it drops deer like a sack of potatoes for me, incl 1 elk only because I was deer hunting with my 243 and saw a legal elk so I took it and down it went (would not reccomend it for elk/moose though) that time. I like the 243 because I had shldr surgery and it is easier on me than my 338.

One Shot
01-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Its something to do with the canadian border, the round has not been tested yet buy some safty department. This is only what I heard.

As far as I know there is no such thing as testing of cartridges prior to sale in Canada. The only criteria I believe is the bullet, if it falls within the banned list as described with in the Canadion firearms act. I bring ammo back into Canada frequently that is not available here with out any problems from customs. I declare it each and every time that way I do not get stung if something goes sideways. Armor piercing and some hollow points in bullet form or cartridges are not allowed by civilians in Canada. :mrgreen:

john-brennan
01-14-2006, 06:46 PM
If recoil is'nt a problem with you i would go wiyh a 338WM mine fits me well and if find recoil decent to handle with any bullet weight, ammo can be found any where if nessesary. I almost bought a 325 in a winchester sporter but i found bullet selection for a 338 cal. much better and more power with a 338 if you can handle it. If you are looking towards a short action it would work well along with the 300WSM.

Gateholio
01-14-2006, 07:48 PM
. Armor piercing and some hollow points in bullet form or cartridges are not allowed by civilians in Canada. :mrgreen:

Are you 100% sure about that? Mayeb you could supply a reference for this statement?:???:

moose hunter
01-14-2006, 07:59 PM
armor piercing is illegal most hollow points arent

CanAm500
01-14-2006, 08:14 PM
and what are we going to use armor piercing for?

Moose or elk with flak jackets on?

Gateholio
01-15-2006, 08:33 PM

Can you show us a reference for that?

(That ALL armour piercing ammo is illegal? And that some holllow points are illegal?)

Cappy
01-15-2006, 08:52 PM
I've seen 325WSM ammo on the shelves out here in Alberta. One of the new Coyote lights is on my want list.

The only reference I've seen to armour piercing being illegal is that you can't use non-expanding ammo on game. Other than that nothing specific myself, not that I couldn't be wrong though.

timber
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
H&H guns in lake cowichan has 325 on the shelf.

moose hunter
01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
well why would you want or need armour piercing moose dont wear armour last time i checked and its not like well be taking out tanks to retrieve our downed game.

Gateholio
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
well why would you want or need armour piercing moose dont wear armour last time i checked and its not like well be taking out tanks to retrieve our downed game.

That's not the point. The point is that alot of times, actual law is misinterpreted, and then repeated over and over...And what is complete BS is spouted off as LAW.

IIRC, handgun AP ammo is illegal, but there is no regulations forbiding rifle AP or ANY type of hollowpoint ammo. Now, i could be wrong, of course...

So can you provide a legal reference tosupport your claim that AP ammo is illegal and that some hollowpoint ammo is illegal? Or are you just repeating what someone else said?:?

todbartell
01-17-2006, 12:13 PM

Gatehouse, if I read this right, he says AP is illegal, and *most* HP's are not illegal

As far as I know, any hollowpoint is legal for hunting. Anything but an X or FailSafe is a poor choice for edible game though, as the rest are either varmint bullets or match pills

;)

Gateholio
01-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Gatehouse, if I read this right, he says AP is illegal, and *most* HP's are not illegal

As far as I know, any hollowpoint is legal for hunting. Anything but an X or FailSafe is a poor choice for edible game though, as the rest are either varmint bullets or match pills

;)

Yes, I read it the same. :smile:

I am saying that I think that *no* HP is illegal, and only handgun AP ammo is illegal. (Not discussing hunting at this point)

I'm simply making the point that sometimes the actual law is misinterpreted, and that we should be careful about suggesting that sometign is or is not legal, wihtout a proper reference.;-)