PDA

View Full Version : buffalo farms...

3kills
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
okay for the guys that were havin a good chat and it got ruined by some whinnin and what not but thats besides the point...for the guys interested i in a buffalo from a farm i will see if i can find the number for u guys....

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 09:16 PM
thanks, I may be interested...if the price is right

ex bc guide
01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I know of a fellow in Dawson creek that sells his young buffalo up to 2 years for 400.00 They are pretty good eat'n I have taken a couple from him in the last 2 years.
Mike

todbartell
01-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Bison meat is very good, and from what I've heard, they are not too hard to hunt, free range, or in a big enclosed pen.

ex bc guide
01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
The buffalo that I took ,it was not a hunt you went into the woodlot where they were and picked one,At that young age its not a horn hunt at all just meat.
Mike

Gateholio
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
MMmmm BIson sure is good meat, and on a bison farm, the farmer may let you pretty much drive right up and shoot it out the window of the truck, if that suited you...;-)

cowboy-up69
01-02-2006, 10:01 PM
That would be cool...Im interested in the farm in Merritt...If you can let me know the ranch name or the phone number, that would be cool! And a price if possible! Thanks
Cliff

todbartell
01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
MMmmm BIson sure is good meat, and on a bison farm, the farmer may let you pretty much drive right up and shoot it out the window of the truck, if that suited you...;-)

not to mention you wouldn't need to cut a tag http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Steeleco
01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Merritt??? Sign me up, I could be home for dinner, HUMM fresh tenderloin!!!

alremkin
01-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Agreed it's not hunting, but it seems to me a little closer to hunting than buying meat in a plastic wraper. If anything the meat should be very good because of the care taken. I mean if one shoots an animal in the ranchers field and it gets cleaned and hung right away it should be better than commercial meat because the animal had no fear of being killed like in a commercial meat processing plant where they are proded along with cattle prods.

Also, I have a new rifle,338/378, and bullets, 325 gr wildcat bonded core tappered jacket, I'd like to try on a heavy animal close up, like a young buffalo. The buffalo meat I've had has been very good. If this works out I plan to have it cut at Dimassimo's.

Willy42 posted a phone number for Rhyason Ranch near Fort St. John in the last thread. Do you have a number for the ranch you dealt with? While it's not a hunt it's still a bit of an adventure to obtain one's meat this way and there's a personal connection.

Gateholio
01-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Agreed it's not hunting, but it seems to me a little closer to hunting than buying meat in a plastic wraper. If anything the meat should be very good because of the care taken. I mean if one shoots an animal in the ranchers field and it gets cleaned and hung right away it should be better than commercial meat because the animal had no fear of being killed like in a commercial meat processing plant where they are proded along with cattle prods.

Also, I have a new rifle,338/378, and bullets, 325 gr wildcat bonded core tappered jacket, I'd like to try on a heavy animal close up, like a young buffalo. The buffalo meat I've had has been very good. If this works out I plan to have it cut at Dimassimo's.

Willy42 posted a phone number for Rhyason Ranch near Fort St. John in the last thread. Do you have a number for the ranch you dealt with? While it's not a hunt it's still a bit of an adventure to obtain one's meat this way and there's a personal connection.

I don't see anything wrong with doing it. It woudl probaby be pretty fun, and it's a great way to try out a new rifle.

The bison ranch around here has all sorts of different terrain, and the animals are NOT tame, the bulls are pretty aggresive, actually. On foot, it could be pretty fun.

(No shooting on the local farm here, though)

It's NOT hunting, but there is nothign woring with killing livestock and eating it, and doing some bulet testing in the process.:-D

todbartell
01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I have a new rifle,338/378, and bullets, 325 gr wildcat bonded core tappered jacket, I'd like to try on a heavy animal close up, like a young buffalo

did I read that right, 325 gr. bullet in 33 caliber? :shock:

bigwhiteys
01-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Here is a video of a Buffalo getting dropped on a private ranch...

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=1377&sort=1&cat=520&page=5

I think Buffalo meat is great, way better than anything you'd buy from the store. Don't know if I would tromp around the ranch on foot though... That's a little ******ed... :)

The ranch in FSJ makes you shoot from inside the truck (at least they did when we were there.)

Happy Hunting
Carl

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I guess i'm not the only one seeing it...humpty and dumpty are at it again...lol

Not sure who you are referring to, but we don't want to ruin another bison thread. Gatehouse edited the humpty and dumpty out of it..why i wonder...? maybe to make me look like the person reuining it... but its clear who humpty and dumpty are! I caught it before you edited there gatehouse

if your sick of the BS pm marc...its clear that a mod is starting shit also. A mod yes...

just look at the last bison cull topic, look where it went and how..

alremkin
01-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Firebird, yes a 325 gr 338 bullet with a mag tip, tappered jacket, and bonded core. Check out www.wildcatbullets.com (http://www.wildcatbullets.com)

ruger#1
01-02-2006, 10:46 PM
there is a buffalo ranch up in oliver, but i do not think you can shoot them. i also think i went to school with the owner of the farm.

todbartell
01-02-2006, 10:48 PM
thanks for the link, I had never heard of any 33 caliber bullets over 300 grains. that 325 should punch real deep on a bison if it will hold together as designed. thanks for the link :grin:

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 10:50 PM
it would be nice if i write something on here, that it would not disappear 5 minutes later, its kind of like the way the liberals would play

it was edited to read more like me being the one reuining it..again i did nothing to start it.

Marc where are you...the Mod has failed

todbartell
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM
BCHunter, what are you talking about? :confused:

start what exactly? I am pretty confused with all these assumptions

I dont think anybody but you, Gatehouse, and Ruger#1 saw the post so I dont think it is fair to point fingers and such, it's not very civil to do so. Sometimes the meanings of posts can get lost on the internet quite easy. Relax and let the people who run this site, run this site.

Gateholio
01-02-2006, 10:59 PM
So, gentelmen, can you point out specifically what you are talkign about?

I edited Rugers comments because they sounded immflamatory, and I wanted to keep the thread going.

What SPECIFICALLY are you talking about, and how does it relate to you?

lip_ripper00
01-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I dont think I could fit a whole bison in the freezer might be interested in .5 or a.25 Steve

todbartell
01-02-2006, 11:21 PM
mmm my teriyaki bison jerky I bought from the local meat shop is tasting even sweeter than I had ever imagined.

palmer
01-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Here is a video of a Buffalo getting dropped on a private ranch...

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=1377&sort=1&cat=520&page=5

I think Buffalo meat is great, way better than anything you'd buy from the store. Don't know if I would tromp around the ranch on foot though... That's a little ******ed... :)

The ranch in FSJ makes you shoot from inside the truck (at least they did when we were there.)

Happy Hunting
Carl

"Shoot from inside the truck" i'm thinking thats illegal under the criminal code...but they do taste great

Fred
01-03-2006, 12:23 AM
"Shoot from inside the truck" i'm thinking thats illegal under the criminal code

It isn't against the hunting regs because you aren't hunting you are buying a head of livestock. Some ranchers will let you smack it yourself and some won't. The gentleman that Ex and I got ours from lets you do all of the dirty work, if you want to. Another interesting point to taking ranch Buff is that there is no season! :biggrin: Fred

Marc
01-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I think if it's on a ranch and a farm animal you can kill one with a butcher knife if you wanted too. I don't think the wildlife laws fall under ranched animals.

palmer
01-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I understand that the hunting regs do not apply..but I am sure it is illegal to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle..no matter where you are. And the gun most be loaded before you shoot it from inside the truck.

Steeleco
01-03-2006, 12:43 AM
I understand that the hunting regs do not apply..but I am sure it is illegal to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle..no matter where you are. And the gun most be loaded before you shoot it from inside the truck.

You might be onto something, it's one of those questions your affraid to ask, as we might not like the answer.

I read a while back where the goverment was tying to stop this kind of activity, anyone else heard that? It figures they would, afterall its a good thing for both parties so lets stop it!!!

palmer
01-03-2006, 12:53 AM
SORRY GUYS I must be "out to lunch" on this one...I thought shooting from a vehicle was not allowed for any reason....

bigwhiteys
01-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Seriously... when you're on private property with several hundred (if not thousand Buffalo) around you I think it's wise to do what the rancher says. It's his property and his buffalo herd and YOU are his liability.

Or am I out too lunch?

Happy Hunting!
Carl

todbartell
01-03-2006, 01:53 AM
I think it is unsafe to fire a rifle from a vehicle, and I'd think most people would frown upon this situation, legal or not.

cowboy-up69
01-03-2006, 03:02 AM
When is the best time to go get a buffalo?? Or does it really matter?

Marc
01-03-2006, 03:15 AM
I would think they would be in their prime eating in the fall just before all the grass dies off and they have a good layer of fat built up for the winter.

Marc.

cowboy-up69
01-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Ya I guess you got a point there...I've never hunted them before so I dont know haha...I was thinkin maybe given 'er a try in the spring, but fall sounds wayyyyy better
Thanks
Cliff

cowboy-up69
01-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Also, what would be the smallest gun recommended to shoot a buff, I got a 30/06, will that do the trick or no? What grain of bullet??

Marc
01-03-2006, 03:44 AM
I would think a 30-06 with a 200 gr Nosler partition or a barnes X bullet within 100 yards would work just fine. Shot placement is the key.

Marc.

Kirby
01-03-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't see anything wrong with doing it. It woudl probaby be pretty fun, and it's a great way to try out a new rifle.

The bison ranch around here has all sorts of different terrain, and the animals are NOT tame, the bulls are pretty aggresive, actually. On foot, it could be pretty fun.

(No shooting on the local farm here, though)

It's NOT hunting, but there is nothign woring with killing livestock and eating it, and doing some bulet testing in the process.:-D

Yup, NOT tame. Last year I was Spacing a block on a ranch in barrier that held bison, in the first week 5 of us got charged we complained about them, until the bison were moved to a butcher in West Wold(where they escaped). They are not like cattle. Although they definatly do lack a fear of humans. You would be able to walk right up and shoot it, just make sure you have a big tree close by:grin: .

Kirby

boxhitch
01-03-2006, 08:24 AM
I think it is unsafe to fire a rifle from a vehicle, and I'd think most people would frown upon this situation, legal or not
firebird - I would frown on the situation, of trying to get proper shooting form behind the 338/378 with heavy loads. :wink: Sounds like a bruise or scope bite is a sure thing..

Fred
01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Any time you have the time is the right time to go for a Buffalo. :mrgreen: The Bison does not store fat the same way as a Cow or Steer. The fat on a Buff is on the outside of the meat,not marbled through it. Also You might find the price to be a bit lower if a rancher is running low on feed in the winter or early spring.
As to which weapon, Bill Field will let you use a Bow,M/L or a spear if that is your choice, but he backs you up with a 338WM. Fred

todbartell
01-03-2006, 02:56 PM
anything from 7-08 on up is legal (not including 30-30 and 32 Special, 35 Rem, etc and other pipsqueek cartridges). 175 gr. bullet minimum and 2000 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards is what the law is for game hunting them in BC. Probably still a good guideline for popping one inside a fence.

I'd prefer a 338 or bigger, like a Whelen, 375 H&H, or 45/70

Kody94
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
In a controlled situation, pretty much any firearm will do.

I usually shoot my Dad's with a x-bow (he has 200 head, and he doesn't like to kill them himself so I do the honors usually). He prefers not to use firearms in the herd. I have used my 6.5 Gibbs on a few though, when the x-bow was out of commission.

It is technically illegal to shoot a firearm (or x-bow) out of the window of a vehicle, whether you are on private land or not, or hunting or not.

In a vehicle, the herd will let you drive right up to it and you can manouver yourself into a pretty good shot opportunity. If you get out of the vehicle for any reason, they take off in a stampede. So I'm sure you guys can guess how it gets done in the real world. Its the only way, and as long as your careful it's safe and the most humane.

It is truly slaughtering your own meat, not hunting. Anyone that tries to pass it off as any different is doing hunters and the ranching industry a disservice.

My Dad will sell animals on a limited basis, especially to accomplished bow marksmen (?). Usually $500 or so for a cow or bull under two years. More for breeding age bulls. His ranch is about an hour west of Ft St John (Farrell Ck).

Cheers,
4Ster

Farmer
01-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't think that in this situation (slaughtering a buffalo), calibre or bullet weight is highly important. Accuracy is. Since you will be shooting it in the head ( or should be IMHO), as long as the bullet penetrates the brain, extra power to exit is not really necessary. Why would you want to waste meat by shooting it in the chest if they are at close range and standing still?

My .02 cents
Gord

bochunk2000
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
4Ster how much would a cow or 2 year old bull weigh? I'm wondering about the butchering costs. I might be headedup that way in the fall and I'm interested in some info please. Thanks Steve.

3kills
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
steve we did a yearlying for a guy a while back and it was pretty light it was probably just a lil more then a yearlying beef....

alremkin
01-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I just finished talking to a guy at Rhyason Ranch. He said that I could shoot a yearling for $500 and they would help cleaning and quartering or I could buy one already cut wraped and frozen for $800 and I'd get at least 300 lbs of cut and wrapped meat. He also said he's leaving for Penticton with a trailer load of buffalo in a few days and I could meet him there and save the trip up north. Nice to have some choices.

Still I prefer shooting it myself, so it looks like I'll be heaing up to Fort St. John in about a month or so. Thank you all for the information.:)

bigwhiteys
01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Alremkin,

Good choice. I have been eating the buffalo from Rhyason ranch for the last 3-4 years. It's good meat. I actually had some Buffalo tacos last night.

Make sure you hang away out the window of the truck when you load and shoot your rifle. Apparently it's illegal to do it inside :grin:

Happy Hunting
Carl

Marc
01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Make sure you hang away out the window of the truck when you load and shoot your rifle. Apparently it's illegal to do it inside :grin:

Happy Hunting
Carl

ROFL :lol:

palmer
01-03-2006, 09:06 PM
We as firearm owners are under attack on all fronts...I find it funny we would joke about breaking the law with those same firearms....Anti's like nothing better than using a quote like that....But that is only my opinion!

Husky7mm
01-03-2006, 09:44 PM
We as firearm owners are under attack on all fronts...I find it funny we would joke about breaking the law with those same firearms....Anti's like nothing better than using a quote like that....But that is only my opinion!
This isnt an anti hunting web site:shock: " I don't care who you are thats funny right there":-D

palmer
01-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I'll say no more...I just don't see someone hanging out of a truck window shooting a gun that funny...But this is a great site and I don't want to cause any trouble...just a difference of opinion...

cowboy-up69
01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
steve we did a yearlying for a guy a while back and it was pretty light it was probably just a lil more then a yearlying beef....

Did ya find the number of that ranch in Merrit? Or if u can just let me know the name so I can lok them up and give them a call
Plz and Thanks
Cliff

3kills
01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
i cant remember the name and i dont have the number but i know some one who does i think..i will try tomorrow to get it for u....

bigwhiteys
01-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Palmer,

I am afraid you'd have to stay inside the truck when you shot one of the buffalo... If you didn't they'd surely hear your butt cheeks squeeking as you walked and would probably stampede :-D

Just Joking... Palmer. I see your point. But under the circumstances it's the safest bet. Ask a rancher.

Happy Hunting! (Except from the window of a pickup)
Carl

cowboy-up69
01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
i cant remember the name and i dont have the number but i know some one who does i think..i will try tomorrow to get it for u....

Alrighty, if u can, thats cool, if not, I'll find out...Thanks man!

Otsoa
01-04-2006, 04:11 AM

Hey 3Kills, are you thinking of Pentagle V Ranch up on Swakum mountain? That is the only Buffalo ranch that I know of in Merritt. The owner (I'm not prepared to say his name on the net) usually has a booth set up in the farmer's market in Merritt selling various cuts of buffalo meat. Never heard of him letting people "chose their own" so to speak but how knows. The Buffalo head in the Coldwater Restaurant's dining room came from his ranch so if you're ever in there, go say hi to Miracle ;)

3kills
01-04-2006, 06:28 AM
otsoa thats not the one i m talkin about...the guys that bought collets ranch of buffalo now too and there is a buffalo farm up on lilly lake road..we know have 3 of them...do u know 40?? he had buffalo i think his are the ones up lilly lake....i m sure he sells it to but u can only by the meat off him u cant kill ur own...

Mr. Dean
01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey guy's;
I fired an e-mail to a friend of mine in the business. I'll post when I get a reply.

BTW: Bison is AWESOME. I'd put it up there w/ elk.

Elkhound
01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Looking forward to a response on who and where for shooting your own. Sounds like a backup plan when you get skunked on a moose.

cowboy-up69
01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds good! I totally agree with ya elkhound! :P

NEEHAMA
01-04-2006, 02:02 PM
ya that would be a great marketing angle.

"att. hunters don't go home empty handed".

if i drive all the way up north and don't shoot a moose at least i could stop off on the way home and wack a farm elk or bison. i would love to hear of a spot around ft st john, grand priarie, hudson hope etc ..

bigwhiteys
01-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Neehama,

Check this thread or the other "Buffalo Cull" thread closely... There has already been contacted details displayed for a ranch in Fort St. John. $500 for a yearling buffalo, they'll let you shoot it and then they'll gut it, skin it, and quarter it for you.

It's awesome meat.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Jetboater
01-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I thought it was great fun, here is a pic of me resting on a wrapped bale and then the tractor, we had to chase the herd away and then get the buff, this was a 2 yr old cow so you can imagine the size

cowboy-up69
01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
WOW, probly get a fair chunk of meat outta them things eh
How much did u get??
I cant wait to get one!!!

Cliff

Johnnybear
01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
This thing about shooting out of the truck has it's opinions but from my point of view with talking to members of my family in Saskatchewan you do what the rancher tells you period!!!. Like some one else said it's his land and their his animals. Another thing I'll throw out there is on my cousins farm you can drive right up to them on the quads but not on foot. They must like the sound of the engine or something.

Steeleco
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
They must like the sound of the engine or something.
I've seen this in wild animals too as I expect most of us have. Turn of the truck when you see game near a road, they won't be there long in most cases. Maybe the vehicle sound just mask's the sound of us noisy humans :eek:

bsa30-06
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
i've seen this in wild animals as well,but if you open the door and get out their gone,I think the engine noise gives them a feeling of security as long as your in the truck.Their probably not shot at very much from people inside vehicles (well i hope their not).

lip_ripper00
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
when I lived on the edge of burns bog I could be using a 5' rotory mower behind a tractor, the deer would come out to the edge of the field to graze. go figger!

bsa30-06
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Geez one pass with that and their field dressed and butchered,now if you could just find an attachment to wrap them for you.

buckslayer
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
when I lived on the edge of burns bog I could be using a 5' rotory mower behind a tractor, the deer would come out to the edge of the field to graze. go figger!

Yes deer seem to love fresh cut grass they do the same thing in the orchards here when the grass is cut

sealevel
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I find that with my skidder i can drive rite by them and they pay me no mind but try and walk towards them you can`t get with in 400 feet.

ruger#1
01-05-2006, 09:00 PM
They like the sound of a chainsaw to. Its funny watching a deer running with a beard of lichen in its mouth, from the trees that were cut down.

Kody94
01-08-2006, 12:53 AM
4Ster how much would a cow or 2 year old bull weigh? I'm wondering about the butchering costs. I might be headedup that way in the fall and I'm interested in some info please. Thanks Steve.

bochunk,

Sorry to take so long to reply...was travelling for a few days.

A average cow or 18 month old bull will have a "hot hanging weight" of about 400 to 500 lbs. A big cow will be up to 600 lbs or so.

I talked to my Dad this AM and he does have a few cows that he'd be willing to sell for $500. Anyone interested can PM me for the number. They have to be taken out of the herd in Jan/early Feb. Dad doesn't like to mess with the herd near calving which starts as early as March.

Cheers,
4Ster

alremkin
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
By "hanging weight" you mean the skined fresh quarters?

3kills
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
yes hangin weight means gutted and skinned and hanging on the rail...

for the guys that want info on the merritt ranch i cant seem to find the name of the ranch or the number so this weekend when i dont have to go to school i m going to drive over to the ranch and see if i can get a name or number...

Steeleco
01-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks Darcy, you'd better hope they have more animals than HBC has members :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3kills
01-10-2006, 06:10 AM
lol i m not sure how many they have even though i see them quite often...i know they have a lot more up north this farm here is just a hobby farm lol...plus if they run out i know other guys that got some too lol

3kills
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
for all the guys that were interested i finally got a number cant remember the name of the ranch though i think it was rocky mountian or something like that number is 250-315-1415....sorry it took so long but i finally got r done.....

Geo.338
06-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Hey 3 kills .Where is this ranch located ?Is it close to Prince George ?Thanks.

bckev
06-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I would be interested in the information form merrit.

3kills
06-21-2006, 09:44 AM
it is in merritt...plus i believe they have another ranch up north some where.....

~T-BONE~
06-21-2006, 03:16 PM
If you guys are looking for Buffalo you can get it from a Sundance farms in Chilliwack, But would probably have to go through the local slaughter plant? The farmers name is Butch Goertzen @ 1-604-792-6584 or you could call up Weymouth Meats in Matsqui as they would probably be able to sell 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or even whole carcass at that probably anything you want (smokies, jerky, etc.)give them a call as they will be your best bet! 1-250-826-2473 ask for Larry great folks in there:D !!

3kills
06-21-2006, 05:55 PM
but can u go and kill ur buffalo ur self there??