PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling poll!

Brett
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey guys/gals I have the privelage of hunting with a few experienced hunters and notice they all have different techniques for calling moose. This morning we had one comming in hard and "grunting" every step. My experienced friend called bull and cow about every 30 sec? I thought this was WAY to often, but he's been doing this for years with success?? and thus the poll

Thanks

moosinaround
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
So is the moose dead?? Must not have worked?? Moosin

Stresd
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
No one answer will suffice in that Poll. After your initial calls and on recieving a response (if any as I have seen them appear out of nowhere). Every situation is different. Depending on terrain, wind, and just how your quarry is behaving. Experience allows a hunter to adapt his actions to what the Bulls reactions are.

whitetailsheds
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Don't forget your dried moose shoulder blade for raking small trees...that really pushes bulls over the edge. Can also be used before to locate them. Once I get one coming in, I usually just grunt after the bull as he's coming in. If he stops, so do I. Or really soft, quiet grunts with your head turned away from the bull.

PGK
09-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Depends what the bull is doing. If he's coming hard, let him come, I don't call if he's heading at me. If he hangs up, maybe another cow call. If that doesn't work, a small bull grunt with a little raking, maybe. I'm always skittish on raking because you'll scare smaller bulls off doing it. Changes every time. Calling every 30s is way too much for me.

Brett
09-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I do rake with one partner and don't with the friend I was with because he doesn't. I guess I'm trying to compile as much info as possible and extract what I think is best for the situation I'm in.

all the info is appreciated!

Brett
09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Depends what the bull is doing. If he's coming hard, let him come, I don't call if he's heading at me. If he hangs up, maybe another cow call. If that doesn't work, a small bull grunt with a little raking, maybe. I'm always skittish on raking because you'll scare smaller bulls off doing it. Changes every time. Calling every 30s is way too much for me.
The same guy is gonna take me goose hunting, maybe I should get some tips from you first :biggrin:

T300WSM
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I find that every situation is not the same, some times you can just cow call and the bull will run in right away. Other times if the wind is not in your favor you can still bring them in but may take a bit longer and you might do a few bull calls and rake some brush, I will use this method in the early or late rut. When in the full rut I find that just cow calls is all you will need to do. Have a look at my vids from the last 2 weekends, in the first vid I called 3 times and didn't call again that bull came to 50 yards and I called him off. In the second vid I called 3 times and the bull answered right away but when he came out and we were camped right there and a fire going he didn't come in any closer than about 60 yards so I mixed things up to get him in closer. He didn't come in any more but he did stay within sight of our camp until it got dark.

moosinaround
09-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I call prior to seeing a moose. I am in good moose calling country though. I like to cow call, short quiet sets at first. Sets usually consist of 3-5 cow calls, getting moanier every call. I will wait a few minutes, for a reply, then start a set a little louder and a little hornier. After around a half hour I will throw in a bull grunt set, with a cow call to respond. If I get some bull action I will then call to the response of the incoming bull. If the bull hangs up I will rake a tree, stomp the moss, and even maybe shake a willow. If an area doesnot produce at first stay put, and listen. I have had bulls come in from and unexpected direction, and have had some come in like a freight train! I have had them hang up, and bust me too!! Usually all you will hear is a crash crash as they run away!! Every experience you have with moose you will learn something about them! Remember the lessons, and have fun with it! Getting them in close is the fun, after killing them, is the work!! Remember the lessons of Neil Peppin, you 'ave to be one wit de moose!! Moosin