PDA

View Full Version : Grizz or Cinnamon

kastles
09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
A buddy of mine found nice big cinnamon bear, so big he thinks it may be a grizz. Would Grizzlies be down here below Merrit? thanks

kastles

DBM
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Most likely a black bear, but I did see a young grizzly cub closer to the coquihalla summit a couple of years ago.

gamer
09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
There was some talk of a griz as far south as pitt lake north area.

Blainer
09-29-2009, 05:58 PM
There were a couple re-located in the Princeton area a few years back.

Camp Cook
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes........

FLHTCUI
09-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Government relocated a Grizz from Squawmish 10-12 years to Manning Park some place.
They had a tracking device on it and it was heading back towards its place of birth in less than a year.
I have not seen or read any more info on this bear.
It was in The Province paper front page.
Is it possible, yes it is.
Is it a grizzly ...without pictures or other evidence I can not say.
Suffice to say,walk softly and carry a Big Gun.
Rob

Kirby
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
There are grizzlies south of Merrit.

Kirby

kastles
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I hope it is not a grizz cause he thought it was friggin huge. Then again, maybe in a few years we'll have a grizz hunt down here :)

weatherby_man
09-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I've seen cinammon bear in that area. I've also heard there are grizzly so w/o a pic its all guess work.

TIKA 300
09-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I say grizz,if you do some digging into grizz transplants,i'am sure they did some along the coq,but dont take my word for it.....:roll:

MichelD
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Saw momma grizzly bear and two cubs in 8-6 last year.

huntinnewbie
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Saw a young grizzly on the Douglas Lake Road quite a few years ago. Thought our eyes were playing tricks on us but a check at the home ranch revealed a pamphlet of local wildlife on the ranch and both black bear and grizzly were in the pamphlet.

Foxtail
09-29-2009, 07:51 PM

I ran into a G-bear while dirtbiking up there a few years ago... North pitt is as wild as it gets anywhere. My dad and his buddies used to take big 4 point muleys out of there every year. The down side(or up side) is it's boat access only.

Dadawa70
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes, definitely there are Grizz south of Merritt.

2x4x16
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
This past spring while black bear hunting a saw the biggest bear I have ever seen. We were close to the Coq. summit. It looked sure looked like a grizz beautiful cinnamon color and he was huge!!!! he took off before I could really get a good look at him.

A friend of mine was being followed by a grizz on the Whipsaw Trail out of Princeton about 5 years ago. So there are definitely grizz in the area.

papaken
09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Saw a grizzly on the east side of the Fraser about 10k up from Yale.

mark
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Saw a grizz in the hills above the douglas lake ranch east of merrit a couple years ago!
Those suckers seem to pop up all over the place!

BearStump
09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
yup theres grizzlies in them thar hills.
saw one on top of mt cheam last year. saw him again this sept. watched him for about 30 min and tried to convince myself that it was a huge cinnimon but no; it was definately a grizz.
also saw one where papaken was sayin', about 10k past yale.
Hmmm..... papaken must know my not so secret bear spot.

Steeleco
09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Watched one walk the road up from Lightning lakes in Manning a few years back. A young scrwany guy, but definatley a Grizz

wolverine
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I ran into one this year just north of Douglas Lake Ranch. I know there was at least one at the very back of Chilliwack Valley up toward the Skagit country. I saw the tracks and they were definitely Grizzly. There was one that had been relocated in the Skagit area and made it's way back down the Chilliwack Valley and up and over Elk Mountain. Many of the residents and farmers saw it and it was tracked by the wildlife branch by radio collar. It made it's way back up the Harrison West side and back into the Pemberton area where it had been removed from months earlier. Talk about the "Incredible Journey". There'll be more too with all the anti-bear hunting bullshit that's going on.

Ridge_Kid
09-30-2009, 12:19 AM

There are grizz around the pitt lake area now

Amphibious
09-30-2009, 07:33 AM
if there was any question, why did he shoot?

it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a black and a grizz. facial structure, body form, the way it walks.....

maybe your buddy need a kick in the ass? just thinking out loud....

Foxtail
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
The way I see it works out is(other then where the fish are) Where ever there are elk, G-bears will follow... Where ever there are moose, wolves will follow... and where ever there are deer, cats will follow.

Bowtime
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I highly recommend that your buddy does his research. I do not sudgest shooting a bear because you don't think there are grizzlies in the area. grizzlies can live almost anywhere in BC.

Mr. Dean
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
if there was any question, why did he shoot?

it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a black and a grizz. facial structure, body form, the way it walks.....

maybe your buddy need a kick in the ass? just thinking out loud....

And PERHAPS some need to READ before they spew... I see NO indication of shots fired. :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine found nice big cinnamon bear, so big he thinks it may be a grizz. Would Grizzlies be down here below Merrit? thanks

kastles

I hope it is not a grizz cause he thought it was friggin huge. Then again, maybe in a few years we'll have a grizz hunt down here :)

huntinnewbie
09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Was waiting for that, I also thought he just saw the bear and there was no mentioned of actually shooting it.

silvercreek20
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Yup for sure grizz in the coquihalla area around Merritt.

BCBigGame
10-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Definetally Grizz between Merrit and Hope, have ssen a dozen or so HWY opened.

TIKA 300
10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Hope this link works ?????
Go to 2.2 Historic and current status of grizzly bear in the North Cascades

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/recovery/ncgbrt_final.pdf

papaken
10-03-2009, 09:16 AM
yup theres grizzlies in them thar hills.
saw one on top of mt cheam last year. saw him again this sept. watched him for about 30 min and tried to convince myself that it was a huge cinnimon but no; it was definately a grizz.
also saw one where papaken was sayin', about 10k past yale.
Hmmm..... papaken must know my not so secret bear spot.

No BearStump, don't know your secret but I saw a lot of bears up around Yale when i was up there years ago. Actually watched the grizz run a big blackie off his fishing spot one day.

huntwriter
10-03-2009, 09:43 AM
There are definitely grizzlies around Merritt we have seen one a few weeks ago in our hunting area and I am not happy about it. When we lived in Maple Ridge I heard some unconfirmed rumors that a grizzly bear has been sighted near the Pitt Marsh.