PDA

View Full Version : meat bags for transport?

jonz
09-29-2009, 04:58 PM
What do you guys use for meat bags for say hauling quarters out? I know it has to be something breathable. And where can I buy them? Thanks!

leadpillproductions
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I use game bags something like cheese cloth

chappy
09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
use unbleached cotton (found mine at fannys fabric)and have the wife or girlfriend sow them up for you. put in a draw string so its easy to close. make them large as they will shrink a little. don't was them in soap use a little baking soda or bleach.

quackquackbang
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I use game bags something like cheese cloth

x2 and you can get them at walmart and canadian tire!

f350ps
09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Cotton bed sheets sewn together. K

MB_Boy
09-29-2009, 05:51 PM
use unbleached cotton (found mine at fannys fabric)and have the wife or girlfriend sow them up for you. put in a draw string so its easy to close. make them large as they will shrink a little. don't was them in soap use a little baking soda or bleach.

X2....pretty much. They are durable for re-use....we got "tubes" from a fabric store or it may have been a t-shirt manfacturer years ago. A lighter weight unbleached/dyed t-shirt grade cotton.

Stresd
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
My Sis sewed some very breathable material into 8 bags large enough to accept complete Moose quarters. Two of them are big enough to accept whole deer. This is our 4th version having tried all the other methods from Vinagar and pepper to factory produced cheeze clothe to Sis even sewing up custom cheeze cloth bags. Problem we found is cheese cloth gets torn far to easily. Blow flies can still lay their eggs through it as well we found out. Not a big deal. Just a little more protein. The current version with the sheet like material, worked just fantastic on the quarters this year. We tried the draw strings before and found that a simple roll of electrical tape with a few wraps to seal the top of the bag against our meat hooks was less hassel and far superior .

Stone Sheep Steve
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Had my wife sew up some muslin(cotton-like) game bags with draw strings. They work good for de-boned meat. Strong enough to hang in a tree. Sew all seems double-stitched.

A buddy uses hospital like laundry bags. Big enough for an elk of moose quater with the bone in. They wash/rinse up well. Very tough.

Another buddy uses feed bags. Good for many days in the field(like when guiding) and rinse clean. No need for soap like my muslin bags.

SSS

donp
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
T-shirt material comes in long tubes. Cut off what you think you will need and sew one end closed. This works well. Also if you have access to hospital linen the stretch fitted sheets work well.:wink:

Phil
09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I got myself a fabricland membership and bought 10oz canvas. I sewed one large bag myself and my wife took pitty on me and did 4 more. They are about 3x7 with a rope draw string . She's doing up some small ones for grouse bags at the moment. The canvas breathes and is very tough. When it does tear it can be sewed up as good new.

GoatGuy
09-30-2009, 12:35 PM
What do you guys use for meat bags for say hauling quarters out? I know it has to be something breathable. And where can I buy them? Thanks!

For hanging sheets sewn together with a draw string.

For packing out feed bags.