PDA

View Full Version : Hunting packs

cuervosail
09-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd like to get a new pack that I can use for a day pack and can carry out some meat too. I've been looking at either the Eberlestock Just One J34. Anyone have any recommendations about this pack? How about Badlands 2800? Any others to consider?

frenchbar
09-29-2009, 12:10 PM
The badlands 2800 is my day pack .its served me well,nothings broke on it yet,its comfortable ,and can pack out a deer if need be.

Kye
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I recently got the Eberlestock Dragonfly, Its amazing! Very comfortable to wear as it sits off your back and has very minimal contact. I packs down great for a day pack and can carry ALOT of gear/meat. Little pricey, but it is built to last a long time.

chucknelson
09-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Forget the Eberlestock and get a Mystery Ranch Longbow or Crew Cab.

kennyj
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
I've been using a badlands 2200 for the last couple of seasons and I love it.
kenny

Devilbear
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
The BEST hunting packs I have ever used are the Mystery Ranch and, while NOT "cheap", they last forever. I have had about every pack available since I began backpack camping and hunting 45+ years ago, and MR simply are SO good that I never use my other packs now.

blaker_99
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
My two brothers, dad, and myself all use the Eberlestock Dragonfly. It is one of the most versitile packs out there. The packs are great for day pack but they are a bit heavier then other day packs due to the internal frame and extra material wich turns into a large pack out backpack. We have packed entire mule deer boned out in the alpine, along with elk 1/4's moose and bear. These packs are made for the long haul. Great seams, smooth and quiet zippers, very strong buckles, and nice big pockets to use for all your gear. A bit pricey but its good money spent when you are miles back in the bush wanting to pack your game out or even just a day hunt. Contact Grant Robertson at Robertsons in Kelowna, by far the best prices in town and if you feel like it mention my name, Blake Ashley and i'm sure he'll give you a great deal. My 2 cents hope it helps you sure won't regret this pack.

huntcoop
09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Eberlestock J104, awesome.

mcrae
09-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I have the Eberlstock J107 as well its a decent pack.

.308win
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
I have the J104 which is now the J34, i payed 269 for it 2 yrs ago at WSS.....i notice thats its now 399 at WSS!!!:-o I like the pack very compfy!!!

Perry

kayjayess
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Just got the J104 this spring. Love it although in all fairness I have not given it a great work out. It has been awesome so far to date. 2 thumbs up

compton
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I bought the eberlestock j107 two weeks along my way to go elk hunting and I love it, it may be a tad heavy for a day pack but when you shoot something your ready to haul, in two weeks i pulled an elk ( my pack weighed over 145 pounds with gun, rack and meat) for about three hours out of the mountains, a goat a long way from the truck over eighty ounds and a whitetail buck as well. The whole time it was very comfortable and was well balanced. No regrets on that purchase.

Crazy
09-30-2009, 03:04 AM
Forget the Eberlestock and get a Mystery Ranch Longbow or Crew Cab.

The BEST hunting packs I have ever used are the Mystery Ranch and, while NOT "cheap", they last forever. I have had about every pack available since I began backpack camping and hunting 45+ years ago, and MR simply are SO good that I never use my other packs now.

Good advice to follow!

I have used many, many packs over the years and Dana/MR packs are at the top of my list for sure. My big pile O packs just collect dust now. MR has the best packs on the market right now and I don't see that changing for quite a long time.

Devilbear
09-30-2009, 06:58 AM
I would add one point to this and that is that Dan McHale of Seattle, makes what are probably the finest packs of any available at present. They are a "full custom" deal, available in about any configuration one can imagine and NOT "inexpensive".

A McHale "full Dyneema" expedition pack is about 2K delivered here and is the pack of my dreams, however, I have more than enough packs now and kinda want to stay "married"........

For anyone with serious fitting issues, McHale is THE way to go and if I were younger, I would buy one, as they are just outstanding. I do not usually suggest them here as Dan does not make hunting packs, specifically, although happy to do so and most guys here are not looking for gear at that price level, quite a bit more than MR, Kifaru or anyone else, but, worth it if you need custom fitting or just want the best.