PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland

Dman1177
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
New to the area, at least for hunting season, and was wondering if any one could recommend any good waterfowl hunting areas in the lower mainland/chilliwack/abbotsford ect.

Thanks in advance

09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Dman, you are going to have to post a joke before you you get any help.
site rules.

Dman1177
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok, not good with jokes. . . here is one with halloween right around the corner. . .

Little Jimmy is out trick-or-treating dressed up as a Pirate. He knocks on Ms. Murphy door and says "Trick-or-treet"
Ms. Murphy opens the doo and says " Oh how cute a little Pirate, but where are your Buccaneers?"
Little Jimmy replies "Under my Buccn'hat lady!"

Cheers

Dirty
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I love first post on the site looking for spots. Here's advice, if you have your own vehicle get in it and drive around in open areas according to the special area map for the fraser valley. If you see waterfowl ask for permission. 'nufsed

09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
the special area map will be your biggest tool this year. get one from a hunting store and go scouting in the areas that you are aloud to hunt in. Also using the search function on this site will help you find informaton and locations for hunting.

Tarp Man
09-30-2009, 04:28 AM
A word of advice. The Fraser Valley has quite a few good spots for waterfowl. The main problem is access to land as most is private, and the owners are anti-hunting/anti-gun or not easily traced due to out of the area ownership. And then there is the land that is restricted to the Hunt Club members only. Add on top of that the restrictions for discharging of firearms, and you can see how guys are going to be fairly tight lipped about their waterfowl spots.

Pick a township, start driving and scouting likely fields or marsh areas, then go to the Municipal offices and get the contact info for the landowners. Be prepared to get turned down over and over again when asking for access. Such is the reality of waterfowling in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley.

dutchie
09-30-2009, 10:40 PM
As soon as you get one, that farmer will tell all of thier friends and you will have lots of places to shoot :biggrin:

Water fowling is not quite like deer or bear hunting because there is so few places to go so people are alot more reluctant to tell you or bring you out to their spots!

Good luck

Dutchie

outlawsauto
10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
im also wondering how i get to pitt marsh i live in maple ridge and have looked for it but ended up at some bird sactuary

longshotz
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Don't want to put out your fire, but the blatant reality is that water fowling in the Fraser Valley is a bad joke.
Limited/no access is the single biggest issue.
The proliferation of regional parks (some inaccessible other than by boat or some other specialized means), ludicrous shooting restrictions and boundaries, sub-divided farm lands, and land owners that have learned how to say "no" make for an unpleasant outcome.
A definite anti-hunting/anti-shooting mind set is running the show in the powers that be and it is reflected in the lack of water fowling opportunity in the Fraser Valley, despite record numbers of birds and associated crop damage.
I live only minutes from the Pitt Polder and unless you have a dog and/or a boat you can pretty much forget about it there.
A look at the Fraser Valley shooting map will reveal lots of white zone, but closer reading will let you see that other restrictions will render them useless.
Save your time, $'s, and effort and go to the prairies, especially Sask.
Check out the Sask. provincial gov't. website and research water fowling and you will be pleasantly surprised. I was and go there each year. It's water fowling nirvana.

Longshotz

10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't want to put out your fire, but the blatant reality is that water fowling in the Fraser Valley is a bad joke.
Limited/no access is the single biggest issue.
The proliferation of regional parks (some inaccessible other than by boat or some other specialized means), ludicrous shooting restrictions and boundaries, sub-divided farm lands, and land owners that have learned how to say "no" make for an unpleasant outcome.
A definite anti-hunting/anti-shooting mind set is running the show in the powers that be and it is reflected in the lack of water fowling opportunity in the Fraser Valley, despite record numbers of birds and associated crop damage.
I live only minutes from the Pitt Polder and unless you have a dog and/or a boat you can pretty much forget about it there.
A look at the Fraser Valley shooting map will reveal lots of white zone, but closer reading will let you see that other restrictions will render them useless.
Save your time, $'s, and effort and go to the prairies, especially Sask.

Couldn't dissagree more.
I started a few years ago with no connections in the hunting world. I put in the time to find some good hunting locations there are great public spots in ladner and pitt meadows, and the rest of greater vancouver to hunt ducks, geese and brant. the first year I probably shot about one or two ducks a trip with my big red canoe, a dozzen decoys, and my 870. There were lots of places to hunt. The next year I started asking farmers for permission. You will get turned down. but ask enough and you will get a "yes you can hunt on my feild, and talk to stu down the road, he also lets hunters on his land". You don't need a dog to go hunting, it just makes life easier. you also dont need some fancy power boat or punt to hunt. just something that floats and can get you to your hunting spot. I think the reason it is called hunting is because it takes work and persiverance to get results it wont just fall into your lap.

fowl language
10-17-2009, 07:36 AM
well spoken 870. its about gettting off your ass.....fowl

snareman1234
10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
I disagree aswell
I am only 18, and I shoot geese and ducks all winter long in the fraser valley
I limit out all the time. And I have lots of places to go, and a piece of halibut from my summer of guiding is almost a sure yes from most farmers. spots are not a problem.

heyblast
10-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Well said 870. I moved to B.C. 12 years ago and had to do the same thing. Learn were I could hunt ,0 to maybe 2,3 ducks an outing while I learnt the area around me. This with a big white canoe and 25 years waterfowl experience. Compared to Ontario the lower mainland is a dream for hunting waterfowl, with 8 bird limit, Sunday hunting, ability to hunt the entire season without freeze up [dec. 3 latest I shot a duck in ont. mid nov. norm] generous goose season there's no excuse to complain. The Fraser map clearly shows were is open to shooting and any special regulations, ie. days open to hunting at Pitt Marsh. If you don't want do the leg work it's not going to happen and as for not being able to find Pitt Marsh, probably better you don't try it outlawsauto unless your with someone who knows the marsh. It's a maze of channels and ponds.

Dman1177
10-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I have gone out and scouted, found a couple of promising areas and have already got a few. Best tip, do the leg work, second best tip, don't be shy to ask permision from farmers.

Remington
10-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Saskatchewan where Permisson isnt required.

jasonmvt
02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
LOL yeah i see a lot of negativity on here, just started myself and there are plenty of places to hunt. ladner is a mecca, pit meadows, and i havnt even had time to learn of the other places ive heard of, it just takes a few years of exp

Surrey Boy
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
When I lived in the Glen Valley I used to shoot geese off my roof with my .22. It comes down to not disturbing the neighbours and making it worth it to the landowner. He values the opinion of his neighbours and family and employees alot more than one of many strangers with shotguns. Try to think of how little you mean to him and not be offended by it.

rollingrock
05-25-2010, 12:50 PM
The sky above my house is a route taken by geese every year, guaranteed. Sometimes they are so low that I feel I could almost grab them with my hands. :D But I don't think anyone has the balls to fire a shot in this area.

If you have a canoe/boat, you can try Pitt Marsh. But that has never been my favourite spot. Crowded and hard to retrieve your bird unless you have a dog.

Try some islands between Richmond and Delta. Shotgun with shots only. You're gonna have a lot of fun there.

sparkes3
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
gimme a shout when the season starts and i will see what i can do to get you u out with us for a trip