PDA

View Full Version : To shoot or not to shoot

huntinnewbie
09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
After reading the forums here for quite some time I was wondering this:
How long do you wait before determining that a good size black bear is not a sow with cubs. This comes to mind after reading, sorry can't find the original post, about someone who saw a nice brown phase in the Princeton area only to have her cubs show up after watching her for 20 minutes!
I know after seeing a black bear while quading in the Princeton area that we didn't realize she had cubs with her for probably a good 5 minutes. She went across the river and watched us from the other side. I saw the bushes move below us on the river bank and realized that she was waiting for her cubs to follow her across. We weren't hunting at the time just with the camera. If we had been hunting she would have been an easy shot and the river was certainly low enough to make a recovery.
Just wondering about people's thoughts on the subject.

Rob
09-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Tough call, the cubs shouldnt be too far away from mom. Check up in the trees. If the bear is in thick brush, you might have to pass up if you cant be 100%. rob

lilhoss
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Experience.Spotting and stalking,and field identification.Knowing a "boar" vs a "sow",and a little patience.Yes,there have been mistakes made,just like the "billies" v.s "nannies",or "spike fork" moose, 6 point elk,4 point mulies,and the list goes on.I will watch a bear for a while.1st thing I look for is of course,overall size.In the spring,at least here on the Island,the sows will be seen feeding,and looking around a little more,especially with cubs around.If I spot a boar,he is usually moving with a little more purpose.He's traveling old re-habbed roads,mainlines,sometimes feeding on the fresh grass & greens,dropping scat all along the way,looking for a girlfriend.Overall behavoiur is something that needs to be learned over time.I had the gun on this big "boar".Watched for a while,and over her shoulder to the right you'll see the little guy.He came out of the bush sqauking for his mom.She was huge,and a shooter for sure at 1st glance.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sow_with_cub.JPG

09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
As well remember bears are usually pretty plentiful, you have a large season (fall and spring) so take your time. It is ok to pass them up if you are not sure.