PDA

View Full Version : inmature bull moose calling

B.S.A.30/06
09-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Heading up to 3-38 for a hunt. Does cow calling bring in a spike bull?
Nice to here snow on the kok for our drive up.

300H&H
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
What ?

Snow on Hwy97c ?

Wooo Hooo !!!
http://www.33smiley.com/smiley/emotions/8.gif

dana
09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't get too excited, looks like one day of rain and then back to the sunny skies again. With the full moon, the bulls will be ruttin' all night and sleepin during the day. As for callin immys, I've had them run and used a cow call to turn them back around, but never had one I didn't know was there respond to a call.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Called one in and shot it last year. Yes, they will come to a cow call!

MCA

moosecaller
09-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Called many immatures in over the years. Short answer "yes"

yiorgo3
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Called a inmature Bull for my dad on Sat morning Sept. 26th so yes cow call away!! Good Luck!!

09-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Called in immys too ..... not only the mature bulls will come.

as for the next few days starting Oct 1 any bull will do for me though 5-2 draw yee haaa!

Been a while since I hunted the rut ....can't wait to be sitting pond side , whinning like a lonesome lovesick COW ....fog on the swamp ...immy or not first bull gets it .......

Good luck all

CT

Hope to show pic's soon

quackquackbang
09-28-2009, 10:49 PM
yes they will come to calls! we have called out many immy's as you guys call them here in BC! we called this one last year that was about 2kms away on a barron he ran right to us on the road and well thats the end of the story!!:razz:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/quackquackbang/ewqewq.jpg

Laurence_Erickson
09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
yes they will come to calls! we have called out many immy's as you guys call them here in BC! we called this one last year that was about 2kms away on a barron he ran right to us on the road and well thats the end of the story!!:razz:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/quackquackbang/ewqewq.jpgthat one looks to be a 3x3 in the picture??

quackquackbang
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM
that one looks to be a 3x3 in the picture??

Yep! shot in Newfoundland my brother had a bull only license!!! we see many young bulls alot of spikers, 2x2,2x3 and 3x3's back in nfld seems to be the most common!

Steeleco
09-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Any particular brand of call you guys use? This is something I should try!

quackquackbang
09-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Any particular brand of call you guys use? This is something I should try!

I use my mouth and use my hands to magnify the sound a bit! but im sure there are calls out there u can buy that sound good but it isnt that hard to call by mouth!

Steeleco
09-29-2009, 12:37 AM
I met a guy in the bush that did just that last week, seemed pretty easy. I tried it in my camper later that night, there's no way I'd come running to that painful sound!!!

quackquackbang
09-29-2009, 12:44 AM
I met a guy in the bush that did just that last week, seemed pretty easy. I tried it in my camper later that night, there's no way I'd come running to that painful sound!!!

ah with a bit of practice!!! haha i donno i have a few buddies that sound like there trying to pinch a turd off when the call moose and have seen moose come to the call...lol!some bulls are really dumb at the rut i have seen one come into the sound of our chainsaw when we were cuttin fire wood!:shock: I think he didnt have his hearing aids turned up enough!

GRH
09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
We use an empty metal coffee can
drill a small hole in the bottom of can and put a piece of shoe lace through it.Tie knot on inside of can.
Wet the string,grab string by thumb and trigger finger and pull down from can to bottom of string.Smaller cans work better.
No need to buy a call.
Shot lots of moose using this method during the rut
They are so screwed up at that time of year.I think they would come to just about any call.

Steeleco
09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
I did the can trick a few years back with not much luck, maybe one more try is in order??

09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
i use my hands and mouth as well, hard to explain it by net though.
you wont hear immies respond with a grunt though you might hear a snort as they blow mucus into their nose to help them id where the "cow" is.
they are trying to be sneaky for fear there might be a bull having come in as well.
calling isnt hard you just need patience. get there an hour before light and call every 10min untill 10 or 11. Dont over do it.
ok i'll try
cup your hands around your mouth and plug your nose
push the back of your toung to the roof of your mouth
and kind of humm "uuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnngggg uuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnngggggg uuuunnnnngggg.
start with your head pointing at the ground then sweep it out and pack to the ground. It prodjects your voice.
and places with an eco help

stroh72
09-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Nothing beats using your hands. (I know insert joke here.) You always have them, you can vary volume and intensity. I found with the can you always had issues, water, freezing and the fact you have a big ole coffee tin you pack around making noise against EVERYTHING it comes in contact with. Try anytime you come in visual contact with moose try calling. Seize the moment for educational purposes and see the reactions.

yiorgo3
09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Go to Canadian Tire and buy a birch Bark moose call. I just bought one for my dads draw and it works great. Make sure you cow call for about 5-8 seconds, 3-5 times and swing your head around to send the sound every where. I was laughing my ass off as to how I sounded but I know that no two moose sound alike. Google cow bawls there are alot of clips so you can hear how they sound. 80 yrds from our wall tent that is how close I brought the young bull. Have fun!!

Steeleco
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks yiorgo, I'll do that. Now I'm going to hand this thread back to B.S.A. as I seem to have taken it over. Sorry :frown::frown:

gary murray
09-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Go to Canadian Tire and buy a birch Bark moose call. I just bought one for my dads draw and it works great. Make sure you cow call for about 5-8 seconds, 3-5 times and swing your head around to send the sound every where. I was laughing my ass off as to how I sounded but I know that no two moose sound alike. Google cow bawls there are alot of clips so you can hear how they sound. 80 yrds from our wall tent that is how close I brought the young bull. Have fun!!
I bought one of those last year. They resonate the sound just beautifully. They are around $23.00 at Can Tire.

rugermag1
09-29-2009, 10:15 AM
any bull moose will come to a call, in the rut thats what its all about , young ones more so.