PDA

View Full Version : First time for grouse on Squamish Valley FSR / Advice?

seanps
09-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi all. Took my lab for our first grouse scouting mission near Squamish today, and hoping to get some advice on the area. Feel free to PM me if anything you say may give away a good hunting spot! :)

I'm from N.B. and it's my first season out here (I live in Vancouver). My PAL just arrived last week, and I'm buying my first shotgun (have previously borrowed from family) this week. Should be all set to find some grouse next weekend.

We drove the Squamish Valley Road (a FSR, I guess) to about the Mile 37 mark, exploring some of the old roads along the way on foot and with the car (it's a Prius, though, so while it may be ultra-quiet in the woods, it's only about six inches off the ground). Found a few birdy-looking roads that looked very promising and like they don't get much traffic. Unfortunately, because it's in a valley, most roads are a pretty tough climb up. Definitely going to work my legs this year.

We turned around near the junction of the Elaho Valley/Squamish Valley roads. Saw one grouse and the dog had a great time flushing it. Didn't see anyone else out hunting.

Have a few questions, if anyone's able to help:

- Once I've hit the FSR, any problems with shooting on the side roads? I know people camp in some spots along there, so I'd stay away from those areas.

- I saw at least one sign for a "recreation site," which I gather also means "no shooting"?

- I was keeping an eye out for bears, etc., but is there anything in particular I should know about bears or cougars in the area?

And, any other pointers you're able to give for the area, including nearby FSRs to try? Please don't feel you have to divulge the best places to go; I'm just looking for general tips so I don't step on any toes while I'm out in the woods.

Oh, also, was a bit surprised when I found out from another young guy at Canadian Tire that hunter orange isn't needed in B.C.! I'm used to wearing the vest and hat. Picked up a hat anyway so others could see me coming.

Thanks in advance. It's hard to come to a new place and start all your hunting from scratch.

Amphibious
09-28-2009, 07:06 AM
good bearhunting all over that area. lots of HUGE ELK too, although, no season for them. some of our foresters have seen big cats around there. I see blacktail from the helicopter from time to time.

if you see a big green helicopter with a log dangling from it while down there, stop in and say hi

shooting on the side roads is no problem, as long as you observe a safe distance from property, etc.

Steeleco
09-28-2009, 08:16 AM
It's pretty thick/steep country, the animals come and go in a flash most times.
The Elaho was one of the easiest roads to hunt grouse last time I was in there, but that was a few years back.

EvanG
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I got 6- or seven and passed many more yp on my goat hunt a few weeks ago.

seanps
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Whoa -- You can goat hunt in that area?

Amphibious
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
lots of goats up there. pure hell to get to them though ;)

Plincker
09-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Sounds like you where in the right area around mile 37. After you take the bridge to the Elaho side take your first right and follow that road. It's been pretty good for grouse and if you're looking for bears at the end of the road there are some good cut blocks with decent terrain for hunting. On the same road around mile 38-39 there's a trail that takes you up to a small cut block and has some bluffs looking over the cut block. There are a few blacktails in this area but a large cat calls this area home so keep an eye out for him.

Good luck!

Plincker
09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
You can only hunt Goats over the top of the Ashlu heading towards Jervis Inlet unless you're First Nations, is this correst?

seanps
09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you where in the right area around mile 37. After you take the bridge to the Elaho side take your first right and follow that road.

Cool. I camped along there in the summer and remember it looking good.

There are a few blacktails in this area but a large cat calls this area home so keep an eye out for him.

Yikes, good to know; thanks!

One thing I've wondered a bit is what would happen if I were to encounter a bear or cougar when I have the dog with me (if he's not heeling, he runs about 10-15 feet ahead, checking both sides of the road). Anyone?

On one hand, I feel better knowing that I have some company while out on the trails; especially company with teeth, a loud bark, and an interest in protecting me. On the other hand, the last time he came across a cow he dropped to the ground and started whimpering.

ryanb
09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
My chocolate lab has had numerous encounters with bears, mostly in our backyard. Usually he'll get worked up, start barking like mad, and run to about 30 yards from the bear and just yap at the thing. Bears don't usually seem to care very much until they see a human.

pointandshoot
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
do yourself a favor and get yourself the bc backroads map for the area. most if not all of the roads are marked by number on the map and at about $20 for the book (which also has other great places like the sunshine coast and boston bar) its pretty cheap insurance in case you get turned around or want to know where the road goes.

theK.G.B
09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
we should make a trip of it. i love grouse hunting. plus i have some "other" tags to fill....:smile::smile:

One Shot Willy
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I grew up and have hunter the area a lot. You could spend days hunting in the back roads. Be care of bears as they are a lot due to the salmon in the area. There will be lots of grouse.

Good luck

Plincker
09-28-2009, 05:39 PM
If you're worried about bears and cats sneaking up on you while hunting, carry afew slugs in your pocket. Your Lab should keep em back for abit while you chuck afew slugs in the tube.

I have hiked and camped up their for quite afew years and touch wood have never had an issue. The bears I have run into have always been running so fast away from me that I only get a glimpse of them. They aint like the bears we're getting in our back yard here in Lions Bay that's for sure!! One little bugger walked into my buddys house the other day!

EvanG
09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
You can only hunt Goats over the top of the Ashlu heading towards Jervis Inlet unless you're First Nations, is this correst?

Dont wanna hyjack the thread but.... Goats are open bacisly anywhere on the west side of the squamish river and above the height of land in the ashlu. As for the grouse the numbers seemed good in there to me this year.

seanps
09-28-2009, 10:15 PM
do yourself a favor and get yourself the bc backroads map for the area. most if not all of the roads are marked by number on the map and at about $20 for the book (which also has other great places like the sunshine coast and boston bar) its pretty cheap insurance in case you get turned around or want to know where the road goes.

Just picked one up tonight; thanks for the recommendation.

This is all really great. Thanks for the help everyone.

Centerfire
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Where do you find the BC Backroads maps to buy?

North Star
11-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Where do you find the BC Backroads maps to buy?
Canadian tire.