PDA

View Full Version : When is Rutt season

.300WSMImpact!
09-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I have hunted a lot of rutt seasons in Manitoba and each year out there it seems to be early November like clockwork, but I cant seem to pin down the rutt out here, I have sat and called with no luck, can anyone give me an idea when the rutt is in the Okanagan whitetail and muely,

thanks

B.S.A.30/06
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I believe it is the first full moon after equinox

mark
09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I have a question for ya???
When do they rut in Manitoba?????
In BC its always november, mid nov. is best but almost anytime is good!

Jonas111
10-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Usually we hunt first week of season open in Manitoba which is the second week of November. The rut is usually bang on that week but last year we missed it. It was way too warm. We stayed an additional 4 days and it still didn't happen.

I suppose it is mainly based on the cold weather. Looks like it is colder this fall then it was last fall. Should be a good rut in early november in MB.

Around here is it more weather based or is it like clockwork?

I just started hunting in BC this year.

MB_Boy
10-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Pretty much what Jonas said for MB. It starts getting into swing right at the end of Oct/early Nov.....right when they have (or did) the muzzy only season to be followed by the gongshow GOS for 2 weeks. :p

.300WSM.....I think you'll find pretty similar timing out here as you would back in MB. Ya....there will be weather variables but usually early-mid November.

Brambles
10-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Hot off the press, There will be No Rut this year due to the current economic crisis, everyone stay home.

Salty
10-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I have hunted a lot of rutt seasons in Manitoba and each year out there it seems to be early November like clockwork, but I cant seem to pin down the rutt out here, I have sat and called with no luck, can anyone give me an idea when the rutt is in the Okanagan whitetail and muely,

thanks

I hunted the north OK last year for 6 days ending at Halloween. For last year - too early, though previous years the rut has started before Nov. My buddy figured they went about a week after I got home. ..

MattB
10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Usually we hunt first week of season open in Manitoba which is the second week of November. The rut is usually bang on that week but last year we missed it. It was way too warm. We stayed an additional 4 days and it still didn't happen.

I suppose it is mainly based on the cold weather. Looks like it is colder this fall then it was last fall. Should be a good rut in early november in MB.

Around here is it more weather based or is it like clockwork?

I just started hunting in BC this year.

Deer rut in response to the amount of light during the day just like trees lose there leaves due to the amount of daylight. Cooler weather just gets them moving all day whereas warmer weather will have them moving all night. Anywhere a week before Nov. 15th to a week after is usually bang on.

.300WSMImpact!
10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
thanks everyone, I am excited to call and rattle some on this year in the OK area, hope I can get a big one!

Toad Hunter
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
My theory is the fawns are born the same time every year.

The gestation time does not change.

Therefore the rut happens the same time every year.

Ltbullken
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Late October to early November. I got a buck last year on Oct 31. His neck was engorged and tarsals dark. He smelled a bit too. He was within the vicinity of some does. I've taken a buck on Nov 10th who was sniffing after does, as well I almost got a 'once-in-a-life-timer' buck who had his snout within inches of a doe's you-know-what :shock: on Nov 9th. Couldn't confirm points in the fading daylight so had to let him go...!!!:mad:

bowhunterbruce
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
the 3 biggest mule deer i have ever seen all happened 2 years ago within the first week and a half of november and they were all in either the east koots or the okanagan and everyone of them had thier noses up a doe's u know what and as for mr whitey ive seen them running does between the 2nd and 3rd week of nov.
as has been already said it all depends on the amount of daylight hrs during that piticular time of year that sets off all ungulates into thier perspective ruts,so it is pretty much like clockwork.
bruce

huntwriter
10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I think this year the rut may be all screwed up. I have seen whitetail deer scraping in the third week of September, a month to early. At first I thought it had to do with the severe cold snap we experienced in this area.

However, when I received reports and questions from all over North America from hunters that observed scraping activity and even bucks chasing does I knew something very strange is happening. Reports and questions about the early rutting activity came in from as far south as Tennessee, Alabama and Florida where it still is in the mid to upper 30 Celsius and the rut usually start around the beginning of November.

I contacted a few noted whitetail deer biologists to ask them what they make of this strange phenomenon. I await their answers any day.

In the meantime I see whitetail and mule deer bucks moving everywhere. Saw a whitetail buck yesterday that already had a slightly swollen neck. I don't like what I see.

.300WSMImpact!
10-10-2009, 01:50 PM
it is getting closer

dougan
10-10-2009, 02:12 PM
yup moons have everything to do with it!!!!!:-D
I believe it is the first full moon after equinox

.300WSMImpact!
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I have heard that the muley rutt is very close whitetail not so much, hey has anyone seen whitetails and muley's together, I was hunting the other day and saw 4 whitetail does with 4 mule does, is that normal?

The Hermit
10-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I have heard that the muley rutt is very close whitetail not so much, hey has anyone seen whitetails and muley's together, I was hunting the other day and saw 4 whitetail does with 4 mule does, is that normal?

Check out the pics of all the hybrids on here!!! ;-) The height of the rutt on Van Isle is traditionally Nov 11... easy to "remember".

sceddy
10-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I shot a huge 4x3 with 6" bases on Dec 9th a few years ago. He was with 15 does and fawns and would not leave them alone. He followed the does, and I followed him for over an hour until I could get within range.

MRP
10-10-2009, 05:39 PM
My theory is the fawns are born the same time every year.

The gestation time does not change.

Therefore the rut happens the same time every year.

BINGO Moose Deer Elk same time every year.

NaStY
10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Was on gossip island all week for work and saw several blacktails "in the rut" so to speak.....

.300WSMImpact!
10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
mule deer have to be close, are they not?