PDA

View Full Version : Elk feeding habits

coquitlam
09-27-2009, 10:25 AM
We are going to be leaving this week for 4-02x for elk . From all that I have red and learned about elk. The way for us to hunt them in this area is to intersect them coming off the farmers fields on there way to their bedding. Now my question is ,do they water before bedding or do they water after . As this would lead me to stake them out between the field and water , instead of between field and thick timber for bedding if they water first.

Thanks in advace

4 point
09-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Just came back last night from week in 4-03X helphing a buddy try for one. Weather was away to hot. Elk were all shot up CO and others said by youth/senior season which ended just before LEH cow/calf started. Elk are coming out to feed after dark and heading back into cover by first light. Real tough to find smaller group and large numbers are up high, in some cases over 1100 meters or their low in river beds in thick cover. Ran into CO three days in a row so their out there watching which is good. Good luck to you.

Ddog
09-27-2009, 02:43 PM
its not to hot, the animals have to eat and drink, i have seen so many elk here at 2 in the afternoon feeding and walking around in 32 degree weather.
i have witnessed on numerous occasions elk going to a drinking hole at all hours of the day.
my friend took his elk at 1 in the afternoon going for a drink on the 15th of Sept.
so...i never did pattern them for drinking habits, some went for a drink on the way to the fields, some after and some went for a drink mid morning, and mid afternoon, i guess they just went when they got thirsty.