PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting around Chetwynd

Dhegg
09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi all. I'm planning a trip to Chetwynd area for the antlerless season. I've heard there is a list of local farmers granting access to their land for hunting. Where do i get such a list and any other information for the area would be helpfull.

thanks in advance

d6dan
09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi all. I'm planning a trip to Chetwynd area for the antlerless season. I've heard there is a list of local farmers granting access to their land for hunting. Where do i get such a list and any other information for the area would be helpfull.

thanks in advance

Page 1 of 7B in Regs states you can contact the hunt coordinator toll free
866-751-4868 or e-mail peace.hunt@gov.bc.ca

Try it, I'd like to know if they actually set you up with private land owners...

Bobfl
09-27-2009, 10:33 PM
hunt the del rio. you won't be dissapointed. Or hunt to wards dawson cr. 5-10 miles out of chet on left hand side. It is an octagon house beside road. this farmer has good land and alot of elk.

MuleyMadness
09-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Page 1 of 7B in Regs states you can contact the hunt coordinator toll free
866-751-4868 or e-mail peace.hunt@gov.bc.ca

Try it, I'd like to know if they actually set you up with private land owners...

Well I emailed that address myself as soon as I received my LEH authorization for the hunt. They got back to me within a few days advising all the hunts coordinated through the Ministry were already booked up, but they would let me know. They also supplied a list of farmers who want hunters on their land, called all of them in the specific area I was going to be and 1 didn't want anything to do with us, 1 had passed away, and 3 never called back despite multiple messages, so I'm not too sure they really want us there. There is also a fair hassle in doing it through the email list as you have to make the trip up to FSJ to meet with the Ministry Hunt Coordinator to go over the rules and such (yes really in the age of electronic communication they feel this is necessary) so add 3 - 4 hours round trip driving to any hunting trip to Chetwynd you want to make, plus the fact that so far they have truely been 0 help, I have decided to try and go it alone and have been contacting friends and people I know working up there to try and get the word out. You'd think if it was such a problem for the farmers and such up there they would make it easier and more accessible for people, but so far in my experience, that's not happening.

d6dan
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
I have decided to try and go it alone and have been contacting friends and people I know working up there to try and get the word out. You'd think if it was such a problem for the farmers and such up there they would make it easier and more accessible for people, but so far in my experience, that's not happening.

Sound like thats the better way to go..Sure sounds like the MOE didn't put too much effort into organizing this hunt.:shock:

elkdom
09-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Sound like thats the better way to go..Sure sounds like the MOE didn't put too much effort into organizing this hunt.:shock:

more MOE mismanagement, and more misconception by the public :-?,

for several years some farmers on the list for LEH elk have been hounded and harassed by 100's of phone calls from hunters with LEH authorizations,personally I know of several ranchers that have dozens of phone calls every day, at ALL hours of the night included, requesting permission for the LEH hunt:mad:,

imagine having YOUR phone number given to thousands of persons unknown to you :shock:, all requiring info and permission to hunt an LEH elk, many people abuse "THE LIST" and the eventual conclusion many ranchers have arrived at is it isnt worth the hassle and inconvenience they have placed themselves in relation to agreeing to become part of a mismanaged MOE program :oops:,,,

also as of lately there is a new Program to compensate farmers for crop depredation by wildlife, the farmers and ranchers will no doubt opt for cash $$$ compensation rather than depend on phone harassment by hunters,,,

nothing personal, just telling it like it is,,,

d6dan
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM

I would be choked if my phone was ringing at all times of the night. Maybe the MOE should sit down with the land owners and get something figured out for future seasons?. Or maybe say to hell with it and start high fencing?. :-(

elkdom
09-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I would be choked if my phone was ringing at all times of the night. Maybe the MOE should sit down with the land owners and get something figured out for future seasons?. Or maybe say to hell with it and start high fencing?. :-(

or MY solution to the elk problem would be to issue "AT,AW,AYR elk tags"

translated is AnyTime,AnyWhere, AllYearRound elk tags":smile:

and NBL!:shock:

MuleyMadness
09-28-2009, 11:18 AM

for several years some farmers on the list for LEH elk have been hounded and harassed by 100's of phone calls from hunters with LEH authorizations,personally I know of several ranchers that have dozens of phone calls every day, at ALL hours of the night included, requesting permission for the LEH hunt:mad:,

imagine having YOUR phone number given to thousands of persons unknown to you :shock:, all requiring info and permission to hunt an LEH elk, many people abuse "THE LIST" and the eventual conclusion many ranchers have arrived at is it isnt worth the hassle and inconvenience they have placed themselves in relation to agreeing to become part of a mismanaged MOE program :oops:,,,

also as of lately there is a new Program to compensate farmers for crop depredation by wildlife, the farmers and ranchers will no doubt opt for cash $$$ compensation rather than depend on phone harassment by hunters,,,

nothing personal, just telling it like it is,,,

I certainly wouldn't put any of the blame on the land owners for this. The ministry should be coordinating or making available some sort of system besides sending out an email to everyone saying here's who you call in Region 7-whatever, oh and the reservation system we have in place really isn't in place so all you realy can do is call these people. Can't say if I was a landowner up there I would be real impressed with how the Ministry has bumbled the program. I just think it's a waste that they either a) claim to have a system in place and then really don't and make it next to impossible to use) or b) download all the hassle with dealing with the 'program' to the landowners who are gracious enough to allow hunters on their land. We are capable of putting a man on the moon, but somehow the ministry seems incapable of organizing something as simple as this. :confused:

d6dan
09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I certainly wouldn't put any of the blame on the land owners for this. The ministry should be coordinating or making available some sort of system besides sending out an email to everyone saying here's who you call in Region 7-whatever, oh and the reservation system we have in place really isn't in place so all you realy can do is call these people. Can't say if I was a landowner up there I would be real impressed with how the Ministry has bumbled the program. I just think it's a waste that they either a) claim to have a system in place and then really don't and make it next to impossible to use) or b) download all the hassle with dealing with the 'program' to the landowners who are gracious enough to allow hunters on their land. We are capable of putting a man on the moon, but somehow the ministry seems incapable of organizing something as simple as this. :confused:

Yes, I don't think the land owners should be blamed for this mess..

The bottom line is...if you don't know a land owner or have any connections to access private land....your SOL:-?...

coquitlam
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
In region 4 there is a coordinator that puts LEH winners on farms by being the middle man and not giving out farmer info. Great for all and no harassing phone calls