PDA

View Full Version : No Quad, no boat, have boots in PG.

emerson
09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Does anyone hunt without $thousands in machinery? I'm in PG and the meat $ don't go very far at Save On Foods. I'm fine with getting out of the pickup and wearing out some boots. Anyone still do things this way?

09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes. They are often called "successfull" hunters. :)

moosecaller
09-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Been doing it that way for many many years, don't even wear out a pair of boots if you do it right. Never had a problem getting my game without the use of quads or the like. I do have an old argo but have yet to use it to recover as all my game is within easy access with a truck. Usually get my meat every year but it does take determination and knowhow. Technology cannot make up for good old practical experience.

The Dawg
09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Thats the way I do it...one of my good buddies has a quad and we make use of that some days, but a lot of our time is spent hiking in.

snowhunter
09-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Nothing can beat the well proven and successful, timeless hunting on boots. Figure out how and where, quads hunters spooke game, and let the quad hunters drive the game to you ?

Still, I find that our B.C. hunting territory is so big, and the good hunting terrain in many areas are to difficult to be reached by using machines, especially in the mountains, which most of the time are totally impossible for quads, and therefore accessible only on hunting by boots, that I do find, that other hunters using a quad, will never will be a problem for my style of hunting. Even on flat terrain, deadfalls will limits the use of a quad to trails.

I find to many hunters are helpless victims to a very intelligent and extremely expensive merchandising, their powers in money and visual status of it, and thus trade in their development of ancient hunting skills, for a powerful quad, and then needs very badly to be seen by others for having and driving a sexy looking a quad, in full camo, which are more important to them, than being seen as a succesful hunter ?

B.C. has an enless logging roads system, which can, most of the time be reached by ordinary car/truck, and from there, one can by using boots, have an easy access to the best hunting in North America.

In my opinion, using a quad for hunting, is like owning a dead horse :)

Amphibious
09-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I hunted the PG area for 6yrs without a quad or boat. lots of "special" walk in spots around.

kennyj
09-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Usually just use boots and a backpack.
kenny

BCBigGame
09-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Yes. They are often called "successfull" hunters. :)
You owe me a new keyboard, the coffee came out me nose.

If you are in decent shape and don't mind hard work, you can go to thousands of places quads cant.

mark
09-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I have both a quad and a jet-boat, they give you options to get to different places, thats all!
I find myself using them less and less all the time.
In fact all the game the wife or myself have bagged in the last 2 years have been done without the use or either!
That said, a quad is an excellent tool for retrieving big animals!

markgb98
09-27-2009, 08:23 AM
I have both a boat and a quad but use neither for hunting. I prefer a deactivated or winter road that i can quietly walk in peace, find a stump ,bust out the old tobacco can and shoelace moose call I was taught to make as a kid, works every time

high and to the right
09-27-2009, 08:40 AM
My holiday consists of hunting and quadding. I do a lot of walk hunting in the early and late part of the day and then in the afternoon I love to quad. I explore new territory, fight my way through bush trails, go down new FSR's, see how far I can go before getting stuck, etc. If I only wanted the meat it would be better to go to a rancher and buy a cow. It's the adventure, not the hunt that counts and a quad (or a boat) helps me explore new territory that I have never seen before.

300wsm
09-27-2009, 08:53 AM
In my opinion, using a quad for hunting, is like owning a dead horse

funny as i am sure it was meant to be but i have never seen a dead horse pull a moose back to camp. jmho

Chuck
09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Usually just use boots and a backpack.
kenny

The oldest and proven method imo, especially favored for deer and the lone hunter.

huntcoop
09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Nothing beats fossil fuel.

Remmy
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Good boots and a good pack, plus what was mentioned manpower!
http://www.members.shaw.ca/hubcity11/pack.jpg

husky30-06
09-27-2009, 07:44 PM
my Dad and I have always been fans of walking and hiking. Most of the game we shoot has been in areas that there was really no practical way to get machines in to...... much quieter anyways........ our group does not like it when my Dad and I hunt alone, we shoot it anywhere then figure out how to get it out..:grin::grin::grin:

blackbart
09-27-2009, 08:05 PM
All you B*st*rds are forgetting about the hay burning, methane emmitting, stampeding, noise making, costly and utherwise miserable option called a horse! Somethimes they even work, just like sometimes quads work, just like sometimes boats work, just like sometimes boot leather works, just like sometimes a guy just can get lucky!

husky30-06
09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
All you B*st*rds are forgetting about the hay burning, methane emmitting, stampeding, noise making, costly and utherwise miserable option called a horse! Somethimes they even work, just like sometimes quads work, just like sometimes boats work, just like sometimes boot leather works, just like sometimes a guy just can get lucky!

I would love to do a horse hunt.... My Dad has been learning the ropes (so to speak) on riding horses to be able to do a hunt...... I do not really have that kind of cash to do it though. hunting by horse has got to be one of my single most hunting goals!!!!!!!

Bobfl
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
hunted there thirty yrs. don't need a quad in that country.

Johnnybear
09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I would love to do a horse hunt.... My Dad has been learning the ropes (so to speak) on riding horses to be able to do a hunt...... I do not really have that kind of cash to do it though. hunting by horse has got to be one of my single most hunting goals!!!!!!!

X2. My dream hunt as well. I have rode a few horses in my lifetime and to me would be the ultimate way to get into the back country.

MichelD
09-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I use my Nissan 4x4 pickup to get me as far as I want to go, then walk from there. That or use my bicycle.

Using the bike has awarded me two deer and a moose so far.

It's funny when I run into guys in trucks like in Region 7 a couple years ago.

"Jeez, it's not like it used to be around here," they said. "Too many guys, from the coast, Indians, wolves, the moon's not right, ticks, (enter your favourite scapegoat here) etc."

And I'd lost count of the number of deer I'd seen that day already from the bike.

I have a boat, but haven't used it yet; a 9 1/2 foot plywood duck punt propelled by a kayak paddle.

Arctic Lake
09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not saying that I wouldn't want those things,just can't afford them now, maybe never.I think a quad would make for an easier time getting game back to camp.Been with pals who used boats to accses more remote country.It also seems that the more stuff you have the more time you spend looking after it.
Arctic Lake

09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
you can hunt without a quad?

BearStump
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree with mark.
the quad is great for travelling a distance from camp to start you hike. good for carrying an animal for you.
But I'm using it less and less all the time. you do see alot of game, and cover alot of area, but the game that you do see is RUNNING away. on foot the game you see is oblivious to your presence and some times even comming closer to you.

snowhunter
09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I doubt that hunters who use quads get more game that hunter who hunts from "boots". I have often enough seen large hunting parties comming back from a long travel and days of hunting from quads, without success. Very impressive sights to see these trailer loaded with quad, but often, I ask, "where is the beef" ?

From what I have seen, it appears that many quad hunters use their rig for a roadhunting style of hunting, and must therefore have the same success rate as any, fossil fuel driven roadhunter ? And how about the real visibility from a quad, while driving off road, and the driver, due to safety, really have to pay attention to his driving, instead of hunting, where a "boot" hunter can stalk silently and use his sight to scout for game as well as listen to sounds ?

One quad owner told me that quads uses lots of gas, and one gets very cold while driving a quad. How about driving a quad in the rain :(

In my opinion, and I am known to be wrong, hunting skills, knowledge of a particular hunting area, luck and experience cannot be substituted by any machine ?