PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Peace Country

mntbowhunter
09-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Usually we go to the Peace Country for the Archery season and we can pass a pile of little bucks up and see a pile of nice four points. Plus we usually see quite a few elk. This season we didnt even see a four point and couldnt have even shot a doe in four days of bow hunting. Does anyone have an explaination for this? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?:-(

BearSniper
09-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Don't know for certain, but my first suggestion would be to start with the weather.

Perhaps the deer feel its still summer / early fall.:???:

Blainer
09-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I returned home from the Peace on Friday and have never seen such a small amount of deer.
We have hunted bucks in the Peace on many occassions,and fields that we would see as many as 60 deer would contain absolutely 0 now.
We had to wonder why they implemented a doe season and changed the 4 point mule deer season to 3 point?
We made the decision to NOT return for the deer season this year,due to the low deer numbers.
The locals indicated this was the worst they have seen.
So,indeed we experianced the same thing.
I did manage to put a bull moose in the freezer on this last trip,but again it was the only legal bull we had seen.

mark
09-27-2009, 08:03 AM
How was your deer trip last year..... I ask because I believe that the deer died off 2 winters ago. (Long hard winter as well as ticks, same one that $h!t-kicked the moose pop!)
The area in the peace that I hunt every year, we used to see about 50 deer a day, per hunter. 2 years ago, I saw 1 deer in a week, this year was a little better seeing maybe 10 deer in 10 days!
Hunting the exact same turf every year!

mntbowhunter
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Mark we did go two seasons ago right after the die off and we didnt see as many big bucks as the year before but we still seen quite a few decent four pointers. My buddy went last season and he saw a few bucks, but it just seems like its degresing every year. I hope that its not the end of exceptional trophy mule deer hunting in the peace.

Is there a chance that with the elk moving in so strong they are taking over mule deer habitat? Mind you I didnt see any elk like we usually do either?

Its pretty sad to see a place that was managed so well for so many years with great success be ruined becuse some moron decided there should be an open antlerless season in february.

Apparently a lot of muture bucks got wacked during that season because they had shed early.

How do they go from 1 four point every year, to one four point every three years, to every two years, to go in there during a hard winter and slaughter every deer around?

The government really shit the bed on that one!

elkdom
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
all DEAD, all gone, extinct,

like the Labrador Duck and the Do Do Bird! :tongue::smile:

drakfero
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
And how many bears , wolfs and coyotes did you see?

Riverjet
09-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't know how the deer faired this past winter but there was a severe winter kill the winter before last. I went up a week ago for archery deer and came home the next day with my doe! I walked 5 Kms throughout my special area on a Monday and saw 1 cow/calf pair and not one deer of any kind. I went for a drive, ended up in an old gravel pit and put up a whitetail doe and twins. Not much for deer up there.

Gus
09-29-2009, 09:50 PM
And how many bears , wolfs and coyotes did you see?

.....:idea:......:-P