PDA

View Full Version : rabbits

rab89
09-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Well I just got more core back early this week, so i went out looking for white tail and mule with a friend last night. we spooked something and lost it but we'll be going back to that spot for sure, anyways, as it got darker and we were headed back, I got 3 rabbits, I've never had rabbit before, or shot it, so we gutted them, I took them home and cleaned them and now they're in the freezer, so I need some help on cooking them, I heard all the meet is in the legs? it seems like there is some in the back..

so anyone have any tips for cooking info on the meat?
thanks in advance!

Rab89

Bow Walker
09-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Cut it (them) into sections - front 1/4's, loins, and hind 1/4's...

Dredge in seasoned flour then brown the pieces in olive oil. Place browned sections in a slow-cooker, add your choice of veggies, about three garlic cloves and enough chicken stock (or veggie stock) to just cover the whole dish.

Cook on Low Heat for 6 to 8 hours and enjoy. Pour a glass (or two) of a well-chilled wine of your choice, cut up some crusty, warmed bread, add a green salad with plenty of fresh veggies in it and call me about an hour before dinner....

whitespringer
09-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Dredge in seasoned flour then brown the pieces in olive oil. Place browned sections in a slow-cooker, add your choice of veggies, about three garlic cloves and enough chicken stock (or veggie stock) to just cover the whole dish.

Cook on Low Heat for 6 to 8 hours and enjoy. Pour a glass (or two) of a well-chilled wine of your choice, cut up some crusty, warmed bread, add a green salad with plenty of fresh veggies in it and call me about an hour before dinner....

I'm getting the late nite munchies.:idea::grin:

tom
09-27-2009, 07:00 AM
This is from A.J. McClane's:- A Taste of the Wild

Rabbit in Mustard-Cream Sauce

2 rabbits, each about 3 pounds, dressed and cut into pieces
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 large onion
1/2 cup Digon mustard, or more to taste
1 cup dry white wine
2 cup Demi Glace (can sub. Costco brown gravy)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cognac
salt and white pepper to taste

Heat 3 TPS of the oil and 3 TPS of the butter in a large heavy pan and saute the rabbit pieces, in batches if necessary, turning them to colour on all sides. When the peices are golden brown, transfer them to a platter.
Peel and mince the onion. In another heavy pan, large enough to hold all the rabbit pieces, heat the remaining oil and butter. Cook the onion over very low heat until almost translucent, but do not let it brown. Add the browned rabbit and all the juices on the platter and cook the rabbit and onion together for a few minutes. Add the mustard, wine, and enough Demi-Glace to cover the rabbit pieces. Add the cream and cognac and mix gently. Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check for tenderness and for taste. Add seasoning as needed and mustard if you like.
As my wife and I like the sauce a bit tangy, we add:-
1 tsp worchester sauce
1 TPS ketchup
sauted mushroom
garlic salt to taste
1/2-1 tsp of vinegar and sugar to taste

We have charmed many of our guests with this recipe.
Tom

tuffteddyb
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
marinate in olive oil and greek spice for about 2 to 3 days and then bbq.
nummers!is what we do with our tame rabbits anyhow.

rab89
09-28-2009, 06:10 PM

that one sounds good! haha did you get my call? no? oops!

Bow Walker
09-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I must'vs been on th ephone when you called......

It's nothing special, just something that I came up with after thinking about it for a bit. It's what I'd do to the next bunny that I get with my bow.

rab89
09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
well i'll do that tonight I think. I'll let you know how it goes!

you hunt wabbit with a bow? bad ass!

Bow Walker
09-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Yup, they're as dumb as the grouse that sit on the side of the road presenting a great target.

unstableryan
10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
One out of the 5 I saw today just sat broadside on the road as I drove up. He's in the kitchen soaking in cold water right now. The other 4 were like lighting. Even with an already loaded gun I wouldn't have got them.

Turns out federals #2 field load works pretty well. about 8 pellets in the head, one in the spine and one in the lungs.

I've been about 50-50 on grouse this year with my .22 so I thought I would bring out an old favorite. As for shells at the moment, I only have 3" mag #5 turkey loads and 2 3/4" #2's... they seem effective.

Tomorrow is slow cooker day... :)

Ryan