PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Cull

alremkin
01-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Are there any buffalo ranchers in BC offering the opportunity to shoot one of their cull animlas for $500? I saw reference to this in another thread here. I've talked to a rancher north of Edmonton, but wants a minimum of 3 buffalo shot at a time. So I'm wondering if anyone here knows about this as I was unable to hunt this year because I went for the over time opportunities at work. A buffalo or even just half of one would be great eventhough this isn't hunting. I've always sort of wanted to go up to a rancher and say, " I want to shoot one of your cattle". Meaning to pay for with his consent, just to see what his first reaction would be.:lol:

bigwhiteys
01-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Alremkin,

I know during deer season in Fort St. John (Nov 1st - 20th) there is one buffalo ranch in particular (Rhyason Ranch) that will let you take a yearling buffalo for $500.

I have gone out there a few times.

They'll take you out there (with the buffalo), let you shoot it then they hang it with the tractor and gut, skin and quarter it for you.

They put up flyers all around town.

Happy Hunting
Carl

Fred
01-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Ex and I paid only $400 each for our yearlings just east of Dawson last fall. Beautiful young animals so close to organic it isn't funny. Got the same kind of deal with the hunt and dressing. Fred

3kills
01-02-2006, 11:05 AM
there is a ranch in merritt that u can buy a buff from...there is actaully 3 ranches here with buff but i m not sure if they all allow u to take one...the one ranch here is a couple that have a big ranch up in fort st john too...

cowboy-up69
01-02-2006, 11:06 AM
there is a ranch in merritt that u can buy a buff from...there is actaully 3 ranches here with buff but i m not sure if they all allow u to take one...the one ranch here is a couple that have a big ranch up in fort st john too...

Whats it cost to take one off the ranch that you know of in Merritt?

rrfred
01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
tell us more, i've had buffalo meat and love it. cheers

bigwhiteys
01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Here's a Buffalo for you,

This big bull was taken off the same ranch I mentioned above. It was scored at Ganders where it was mounted and would have been #13 B&C. (Obviously it wasn't a fair chase hunt and was never meant to be entered)

http://www.carlsorensen.com/hunting/bobbuffalo.gif

The rancher figures he has a few buffalo (Bulls that have seperated from his main herd) that could possibly take the new world record for Bison. But it'd only be for the trophy not the book.

And they probably wouldn't be the best eating as they are old, old bulls.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 01:11 PM
thats a big animal!

theres a buffalo ranch in Clearwater too

ruger#1
01-02-2006, 01:15 PM
hey bc are you going back up, and if you are good luck. i might go this year if i get a leh, and can aford it.

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 01:42 PM
buddy its closed..plus all the reports I've got after Christmas are that all the LEH'ers that stayed in the places i called got NOTHING and saw NOTHING...no snow

Overall the trip was expensive, learned a tonne about hunting in cold weather, no animals(bison that is) wiped out and got hurt but had a blast giving it a try...

I'll be putting in again for it next year...

todbartell
01-02-2006, 01:45 PM
is snow needed for buffalo hunting? might help with snowmobiling them out :roll:

keep making excuses Danny boy oh Danny boy :p

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Firebird snow is need to push the animals in..keep it civil there Firebird.

3kills
01-02-2006, 04:09 PM
i think the one ranch in merritt charges around 500 bucks not really sure if i can i will try to get u a number so u can get ahold of them...

alremkin
01-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Do you know the name of the ranch I could look it up then?

todbartell
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
if snow is mandatory, why did you even go knowing there was no snow. and has a bison never been killed on bare ground? :roll: you think for a once in a lifetime LEH Hunt, you'd do a lil research ;-)

willy442
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I used to work for the rancher in the FSJ area. His buffalo are grained and way better meat, than any you can get in the wild. The PM herd covers a large area, however one way to obtain a kill, is to hunt the ranches in at mile 143. The Mills or Boring ranches are 2 that have a problem with bulls and will usually let them be killed on their property. Its also nice to have a tractor around to help drag them to your truck, which they both have. Rhyason Ranch Ph. 1 250 785 0515 to arrange for hunt. They let you shoot anything from a yearling to 8 year old Bull. The big Bulls are more money.

cowboy-up69
01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
i think the one ranch in merritt charges around 500 bucks not really sure if i can i will try to get u a number so u can get ahold of them...

That would be great if u could get the number...I'd love to get a yearling...Good eating I heard

cliff

buckslayer
01-02-2006, 06:45 PM
is snow needed for buffalo hunting? might help with snowmobiling them out :roll:

keep making excuses Danny boy oh Danny boy :p

if snow is mandatory, why did you even go knowing there was no snow. and has a bison never been killed on bare ground? :roll: you think for a once in a lifetime LEH Hunt, you'd do a lil research :wink:

Some people can be a real pain in the A$$. Why don't you keep your negative opinions to yourself.

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 06:51 PM
all i was going is sharing my experience and others bison LEH'ers reason or I guess like Firebird says...excuses...no snow...

BCHunter
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Firebird I feel you attacked me on this topic and belittled me...for no reason. I simply resonded to a question not from you and you started. By this you've broken one of the forum guidelines

3. Belittling or Racist comments of any kind of member or person on HuntingBC.ca will not be tolerated.

I see a two week time out coming...

Steeleco
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
So what was the original post about :eek::eek:

todbartell
01-02-2006, 07:10 PM
BCHunter,

could you clarify, how you think I 'belittled' you? :-| :-)

todbartell
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Some people can be a real pain in the A$$. Why don't you keep your negative opinions to yourself.
hey, let's keep it civil here, it's one of Danny's rules

4. Keep it Civil means Keep it Civil!

Steeleco
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
So can we get back to the original topic. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obviously we all have different opinions but none of this is answering the original question. :roll::roll:

Gateholio
01-02-2006, 07:26 PM
What do all the locked threads have in common?

Our resident drama queen.:roll: