PDA

View Full Version : Which bag limit???

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 06:28 AM
I was thinking this question to myself earlier in the week and then another member asked the same thing.
So lets assume your hunting in an area that borders two distinct regions. I frequently hunt and area the borders 3 and 8. If your allowed 10 Grouse in 3 but only 5 in 8, how do you explain yourself to the CO if you get stopped in 8 with the 7 grouse you took that morning in 3.

I suppose this could also apply to deer, it's not hard to imagine getting your one buck in 3 early in the week and another in 8 later on. It wouldn't matter which region your camped in, you'd still have two deer in the tree??

Thoughts???????????

MRBucks
09-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Good question!

I guess you'd simply have to explain the situation, and hope he doesn't waste a day of your trip, making you feel guilty, as he drags you around to make you show him the exact spots you shot them.

It begs the question of shooting an animal in one area, and it runs across the border into another MU where they are closed, before it drops, and a CO spots you dressing the animal. You'd better hope like hell you can backtrack to where it was first hit, and there are some signs of blood/cut hair.:shock:

Paulyman
09-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Lets sing this song together everybody!

GGGRRRAAAYYYY ARRREEEEAAA :)

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Lets sing this song together everybody!

GGGRRRAAAYYYY ARRREEEEAAA :)

But there's so many verses :tongue::tongue: I'd call Victoria on Monday, but I already know that all I'll get is that person's "interpretation" it's the one in the bush that counts the most!!

BCBigGame
09-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I've run into this during a LEH hunt, camped in one region and hung deer in another. I ran into a CO in area we were hunting. He saw my cancelled tag, came back into camp and I showed him the animal with no issues. I was completely honest and friendly with him, camp was clean, animals were well taken care of and he was happy. Worst case would be to show him the gut pile. If the animal expires in a 'closed' region after being shot in an open region, you may be best to drag the animal back to the open region.

09-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Personally if you know you were legal where your harvested specific bag limits, and can prove it, it's the CO that has to prove you wrong.
Sure some may get suspicious but if you know your right, and have evidence to prove it them vavoom. There is nothing in the Regs that says any thing different. It would open up a rats nest. Many times we have had game hanging in different MU's then the harvest took place, never a problem ...... just be sure with-in your self your right on borders etc.

ct

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 08:02 AM
So if he asked you to show him the gut pile 3 days hence, will it still be there?
Not in my experience!

If the animal expires in a 'closed' region after being shot in an open region, you may be best to drag the animal back to the open region.

I know a fellow that shot a deer in Surrey in a bow only area. The damn thing ran across the line into the States. By the time he got permission to retrieve it, all that was left was bone.

But I digress :-D

09-26-2009, 08:17 AM
I know what your saying Steelco, grey area, absent gut pile etc. I can't imagine a CO being so much of a dick that you can't show him drag marks, hair on stump knots, pictures, etc. I would not worry about it until the time comes ..... as long as you know your hunting specific regs in specific regions.

See ya in court mr. CO

CT

mark
09-26-2009, 08:39 AM
The issue came up with us a couple years back.
The wife shot a 2 point muley in 100 mile (any buck) the very next morn we were hunting little fort area, (reg.3) (4 point season) with a freshly killed 2 point in the back.
Sure as $h!t we meet a CO.
He basically drilled us with 20 questions, looking for the lie or guilt on our faces.... after a while he was satisfied that we were honest and legit, we had a good bull$h!t about hunting!
I doubt we'd of passed his test if we were guilty though!
Summary.... if your 100% legit and you know it, you should have no worries.

ElkMasterC
09-26-2009, 08:45 AM
..also, possession limit is 15, sooooo..... :roll:

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
..also, possession limit is 15, sooooo..... :roll:
So if I hunted the adjoining area of 2 and 8 smarty pants :smile::smile:

ElkMasterC
09-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Then you get to keep 30.
15 from each zone.
Right?

(Yes, I'm joking....for the finger wagging purists out there.... I keed, I keeeed)

MuleyMadness
09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
While we should all hope to have clear evidence of where the animal was actually shot, sometimes that is just not avaialble. Be it bad weather, scavengers eating the gut pile, etc. Just remember that if you shot him legally the CO has to PROVE you did otherwise before they can take any punitive action. It's a little something called innocent until proven guilty. If you're in the right, but can't prove beyond all reasonable doubt, the CO still has to PROVE you broke the law, and being in possession of an animal that isn't legal where you are isn't proof, it's just a starting point for them to investigate.

chinooker
09-26-2009, 08:37 PM
tag gets cut before animal is field dressed, tag has region number on it. even if gut pile is eaten by scavengers and it rains there will still be hair and stains on the ground for a long time.:-P

morris
09-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Not too hard to punch a waypoint into your GPS at the site of the kill. Do that and immediately cancel your tag and all is good. As mentioned earlier if you are in the right then you have nothing to worry about. This coming from a guy that gets lied to all the time...

mpotzold
09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
...So lets assume your hunting in an area that borders two distinct regions. ....I suppose this could also apply to deer, it's not hard to imagine getting your one buck in 3 early in the week and another in 8 later on. It wouldn't matter which region your camped in, you'd still have two deer in the tree??

Thoughts???????????

Here’s my $0.02!
Take a photo(video) of the downed animal as soon as you can. Some ribbon tied on the closest tree or a prominent landmark should be in the photo. Coordinate the area if you have a GPS as Morris indicated.
The photo(video) will also prove that the animal was shot in legal daylight(before the “one hour after sunset”). Over the years we have shot many animals just before dark and had to retrieve them when pitch black.
As for grouse the CO will just have to take your word!
Every now and then we see hunters in 5-03 with deer hanging that were shot in 3-31

Ddog
09-27-2009, 02:28 PM
it actually isnt an issue at all, a CO officer can drill you his questions but in the end like was already said, he has to prove you wrong, which would be hard to do especially if you were in a different zone, and being completely honest.
for deer, as already said to, the tag would prove it and thats what the CO officer has to go by, unless you actually poached it and someone saw.
we used to walk the road that separated the 3-30 and 5-1 MU, the 5-1 had a different limit for grouse, when we were stopped by a CO once there was no questions asked, although we had more than the limit for birds than 3-30 limit.
most of the CO officers that i have run into are real good people, although we were held up by one real dick head that was reported by us for being a complete arse.

Steeleco
09-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Well thanks gang, as I suspected this isn't a huge issue if your honest with the CO's should you get asked. I suppose if your honest with yourself, that's all you need. Most guilty people convict themselves!!!

But once again, it just goes to show there are so many things wrong with the regs we use today. So many loopholes.

willyqbc
09-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Most CO's that work a border area are well aware that folks may hunt both zones. I often hunt region 7 from home and i live in region 5 so if I shoot an immy moose in region 7 I have to transport it through region 5 to get it home. I think these CO's know these areas pretty well and if you can confidently tell them the name of the road you were on, or can show you have good knowledge of the area you shot the animal you will probably have no issues. For example when he asks where you shot the animal give details like " we were up the XYZ road.....you know that side road that goes off at the 8km board? Yeah...we were down there and shot the animal near the back of that big slash about 4 km down on the left....you know the one, just up past the big marsh". If you give him that kind of detail it shows you are not afraid of him asking you to take him to the gutpile and that you definately hunt there enough to know the area....it makes it much more plausible for him to believe you with no issues than if you say..."oh we were in region 7...dunno where exactly....just some logging road I guess".

my .02 cents
Chris

PGK
09-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Limit yourself to five birds...how many do you really need? Sheesh man.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2009, 04:20 AM

Some people have more people at home than just themselves. :-|

I can eat a couple of birds just for lunch.:-?

SSS

ElkMasterC
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM

LMAO....hope you're trying to be funny...
How many birds in your avatar?

I think you're being ironic...I have faith in you. ;-)

PGK
09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
LMAO....hope you're trying to be funny...
How many birds in your avatar?

I think you're being ironic...I have faith in you. ;-)

17 birds in my avatar, four guys shooting. Our regional limits are 10 per bird. I limit myself to five. Is there a problem with that?

Gateholio
09-28-2009, 09:51 PM
17 birds in my avatar, four guys shooting. Our regional limits are 10 per bird. I limit myself to five. Is there a problem with that?

Limit yourself to whatever you want, as long as it's legal. Don't impose your limits on others, though.

PGK
09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Limit yourself to whatever you want, as long as it's legal. Don't impose your limits on others, though.

You know I'm not. I'm suggesting that if you're worried about having too many birds in the wrong region and having to explain it to a CO, you probably already had a kick ass day, why not just call it a day at the lower bag limit, have a chicken feast and go back next week.

Or, someone craftier than me could convince the province to standardize upland game bird bag limits and season dates to solve the problem entirely. But good luck, because I tried it already.

Grouse Sept 1 to Nov 15 5 (15)

Problem solved?

Steeleco
09-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Part of my asking the question in the first place was to point out yet another fault with our current regs. I for one have no trouble keeping a bag limit to take home at the end of the week. But as pointed out, due to some arbitrary line on a map, I could either be breaking a law or hunting within the law. For some of folks one trip is all they get. A limit of 15 birds won't last long for a small family.

I agree with you PGK, the bag limit should be province wide and not differ because of said line.