PDA

View Full Version : going for grouse

r106
09-25-2009, 08:34 PM
heading up the coq for some grouse. Checked out upper coldwater fsr last weekend and saw nothing.. fair bit of rain that saturday. any other good spots for ditch chickens? We don't want to go as far as Merritt. Any tips on finding them? I have never hunted them. see them once in a while dirt biking.. just walk down the road and find them? Any area or food source they like this time of year?

matt420
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM
iv always found them right on the middle of a side road or something..... seen more on bushy roads than clear cut roads..... usually out eatin the gravel off the road to help digest food. also i see a lot more once the suns out rather than first light... i dont really go hunting for them... if i see one while deer hunting then sure theres some more meat :)....... have fun and good luck

Steeleco
09-25-2009, 10:21 PM
I noticed in the last 3 days that when my GPS said it was a good time for animal activity, the grouse were all over the roads. Only one time did I find grouse outside of these times?

If you see one, you've missed all it's buddies!! BTW I was east of the Coldwater exit and got lots.

r106
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
I noticed in the last 3 days that when my GPS said it was a good time for animal activity, the grouse were all over the roads. Only one time did I find grouse outside of these times?

If you see one, you've missed all it's buddies!! BTW I was east of the Coldwater exit and got lots.

I was thinking of going to Brookmere area maybe head towards brook lake or andys lake area. never been there might check it out

Steeleco
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
It's a good area to check out, but keep in mind the fire this past summer, lots of good country is out of action for a few years! Have always seen lots of birds on the other side near Murray lake too.

r106
09-25-2009, 10:52 PM
ya I wasn't sure were exactly the fire was.. Murray Lake and loop back to coldwater rd was the other area I was thinking...

gamer
09-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I was at andy lake last week and it is all burned to the ground. Right near that lake is the only green areas-we got four grouse near the lake. Tons of grouse on the west side of the coq as well.

Steeleco
09-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Plus the bag limit is better in 3!!!

gamer
09-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Ya we were wondering how that would go over seeing as how we had a few from 3 and then got some more in 8. Stuck to the reg 8 limit just to be on the safe side. By the end of the day we ended up in 3 so took some more. Only saw sprucies in 8.

Steeleco
09-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Ya we were wondering how that would go over seeing as how we had a few from 3 and then got some more in 8. Stuck to the reg 8 limit just to be on the safe side. By the end of the day we ended up in 3 so took some more. Only saw sprucies in 8.

Funny I was thinking that myself this week while afield??
Time for a new thread!! :shock: