PDA

View Full Version : 2 Nice bull elk down!

willyqbc
09-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Myself, Tank, his dad and my 9 year old son are back from our annual elk hunt. Given last years success we were optimistic as we headed out even though the long term forecast was not in our favor, with hot temperatures predicted for the week were to be gone. After arriving and getting camp set our first evening hunt quickly gave us an indication of what was to come in the week ahead. After 3 hours of uneventful hiking we finally got a response just before dark, we did our best to get the bull in sight for a tine count (6 point only where we were) but he was continously moving off, calling with a less than enthusiastic effort. The boys were up ahead of my calling and did manage to get a glimpse of him moving in the bush but not enough to get a tine count. 2 more uneventful days followed with lots of miles put on the boots and only a few distant bugles and some random small bull sightings to show for it. On the 3rd day Tank and his dad headed for a patch of timber bordering a new clearcut and immediately upon leaving the truck got a response, again the bull was less than enthusiastic and a long game of cat and mouse ensued over several miles until they finall had the bull worked up enough to stop and work out his frustrations on some willows. With Tanks Dad on the rifle the bull momentarily stepped out onto a cut line just long enough for him to get a tine count and confirm he was 6...then he was gone back into the bush. After a quick consultation on his direction, Tank plunged into the thick bush after him and caught up to him about 200 yards into the bush. The thick bush covered the bull well but luckily Tank had a very small window through to the vitals and took the shot....perfect double lunger and the bull went down within a few yards! Bull number one down certainly took some of the pressure off!!

Tanks nice bull!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P9140187.JPG

The following day we headed out and after an uneventful morning hunt we decided to explore some new areas for the evening hunt. Tank and his Dad chose a slope that headed down to the river. After several hours of bushwhacking some of the nastiest snarliest stuff imaginable they emerged on the edge of a field close to the truck. As they were lamenting the lack of sign they had seen Tank decided to let out one last bugle before they reached the truck....from across the field a bull bugled back...game on!! Unlike the other bulls this guys was very enthusiastic and with a few more calls he came charging across the field. The boys were very excited as we have always talked about the "freebie" elk in a filed but have never had it happen...until now. With light fading fast Tank's Dad set-up and put two rounds in the bull before he made the tree line. A follow up shot 100 yards into the bush and bull number 2 was down.

bull #2

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P9150201.JPG

We had several more days for me to try and get my elk down and saw numerous bulls but nothing legal. Most exciting thing for me was on our last evening we got in some really thick stuff with a bull and as Tank and I moved around to try and get a tine count His Dad passed the calls over to my little guy and he was able to call the bull in to 40 yards, turns out it was a 5 point but he was super excited to have called one in and have it bugle at him from such close range!! This will be real valuable experience for him when he heads to the elk woods next year with a tag in his pocket!

All in all our most difficult elk hunt to date and we all feel very fortunate to have taken the 2 nice bulls we did! Hopefully Tank can post up a couple of the nicer group pictures for us!

Chris

stroh72
09-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Well done. Any footage ??

Elkaholic
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Awesome stuff right there. That is how you get things done!! Congrats on the trip!

LeverActionJunkie
09-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Way to go boys, congratulations.

Sure are a lot of elk going down this fall! :)

kennyj
09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Great hunt you guys had.Those are beauties.
kenny

David Heitsman
09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Good eats for both families! Well done.

J_T
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey congrats Chris. Sounds like you guys have a great little honey hole there. Keep it up.

JT

willyqbc
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Well done. Any footage ??

unfortunately getting our elk on film has again proven to be a challenge. We started the week with the intention of hunting as a group with a cameraman with the shooter and a caller hanging back when things got going. Unfortunately after a couple slow days we decided we needed to split up into 2 groups to cover more ground, so having a shooter up front and a caller back we just didn't get any footage. We made the decision that a successful hunt with no footage was better than an unsuccessful one with footage. Hopefully next year the action will be good enough that we can afford to hunt more as a group and get some good footage!

Chris

LYKTOHUNT
09-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Way to go guys ,James it sure is a good thing you spent the money time , and practice getting the gun to shoot 500 yards so you can get them probably with in 40 yards LOL. High fives all around.

swamper
09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Nice bulls Chris. I know Michael can hardly wait until next year. I can only imagine how big the smile will be when he puts one on the ground, and there is no doubt in my mind it will happen next September.
Swamper

PGK
09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Right on boys! Great bulls!!

laredo318
09-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Very nice!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d6dan
09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Congrats Boys, those are very nice bulls:smile:...

Chillybilly
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Nice Job boys! Awesome Bulls!

jasper
09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
congrats on a great hunt. peace or koots bulls?

Rock Doctor
09-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Well done,
Congrats on the Elk

farside
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Well done and a huge congrats. Nice to have the hard work pay off. Next year i expect videos though.

treeclimber
09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
very nice bulls!!

kootenayelkslayer
09-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Nice bulls guys!

rifleman
09-24-2009, 04:30 PM
very nice. darn good success you guys had.congrats

Tank
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
What a great trip, as usual!. Michael was a great addition this time around...far beyond his years as a hunting buddy! Here are a couple of group shots from the trip.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1stelk09.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2ndelk09.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/group09.jpg

bearass
09-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Very nice lookin elk there,way to go.

Rattler
09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Great job on getting 2 bulls. Sounds like you have a good spot there...

Tank
09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
congrats on a great hunt. peace or koots bulls?

These two bulls are from the Peace country......the elk population seems to be improving every year.

Amphibious
09-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Congrats guys, long time no see :)

DV-67
09-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Congratlations! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and story

brandonhunter
09-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Congrats on two nice bulls!!!

Bowzone_Mikey
09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Congrats guys ....

Tank
09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Congrats guys, long time no see :)

No kidding! Last time I saw you, you were in no condition for a goat hunt...but have now returned with what I can only assume is a bionic knee:shock:

Rackmastr
09-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow awesome!!!

bcriverhunter
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
awsome elk!!!..thanks for sharing! larry

Amphibious
09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
No kidding! Last time I saw you, you were in no condition for a goat hunt...but have now returned with what I can only assume is a bionic knee:shock:

We can make him better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster. ;)