PDA

View Full Version : Meat and outdoor temps?

Broncomarco
09-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Wondering what peoples thoughts are..? You got meat hanging on the pole. At what out door temp do you start getting concerned that you have to get out of the bush? Do you guys have your own temp limits?

lilhoss
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
For me...as close to freezing overnight temperatures and about 5 to 8 above starts to make me nervous.3-4 days max at those temps and then I'd be heading in.The other thing to watch for is the flies.When the temperature is cool enough you'll see almost no flies bothering with it.To many guys ruin the most important part of the hunt,and that is getting the meat home on the table.I know having a good time with the crew is important,and the timing isn't always the best,but if your game is down,taking care of it is still part of the hunt.

Slime green cat
09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Someone told me if you hang your meat high enough the flies cant get it ? I cant remember the hight, but apparently flies dont fly higher than a certain hight ? 20 ft or so, cant remember ??

Any truth to this ?

lilhoss
09-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes it is true, 20-30 ft on average,unless they are lifted up with the wind.

M.Dean
09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I think the bugs should tell you if it's to warm out. If the game on the pole is covered in flies during the day it's to warm, no matter what the temp is at night.

SR80
09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
ever tried vinegar in a spray bottle and spraying the meat? Works pretty well

high and to the right
09-24-2009, 11:01 PM
There may be a bit of panic when it comes to hot weather. Before the invention of refrigerators and freezers the people had to deal with hot weather. If you are on a drop in hunt and you won't be picked up for 7 days and the weather turns hot on you, you can't just decide not to shoot that trophy.

I got caught in a heat wave just after I had my animal down and it was going to be several days before I could get it out. The one thing in my favour was a good wind during the day and plunging temperatures at night.

I let the meat skin over with a good crust. The wind and the heat helped with that part. At night the meat cooled (kept a tarp over it to keep the moisture off). During the day it was under tree cover so the sun would not hit it directly. You can be creative about how you hang your meat in the shade, close to a stream, in an area where the wind will blow over it, etc.

I always use meat sacks that go around the entire quarter so flies are never a problem. For a rip in the bag - duct tape.

When I finally got the meat home there was a coating of fuzz over all the meat. Not the best smelling part of the animal.

I hung the meat in the garage and began to cut off the crusty meat (which had the fuzz on it) and the meat under the crust was as good smelling as when it was first shot. Tender and good eating.

If at all possible get your meat out of the woods if it gets hot - I'm not recommending that you let your meat get fuzz on it (some call it going bad and they throw it out. This is not the case and other than having to take the time to completely trim the animal (without your family coming into the garage and smelling it and never eating wild game again), the meat is ok.

Now - as age sets in - I don't hike back into the woods for a day or two and then spend another couple getting the meat out. My partner has an air conditioner that he brings to the camp and we never worry about the heat.

Tip - any blood on the meat where it was shot needs to be removed. That will rot and really stink.

Come to think about it - In all this heat with the animals not moving or staying in the mountains we don't have to worry about shooting one either.

martyonthewater
09-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I don't think your going to need to worry about it Marco, your dad and bro are going to fill that garage of yours again long before you cut a tag this year lol.

Broncomarco
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Well Marty. I hope that's not the case this year. At least i got time off. Freezers are empty so I'll be out for the first time this year next week to fill'em up, MY SELF. Lol

horshur
09-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I suggest using the cool nights and preserving the effect during the day.

Have the animal in smallish quarters skinned and elevated for the best exposure at night

hide it in a cool spot insulated from the heat of the day....a sleeping pad and bag works well in a shady cool spot.

I have done this and kept deer for four-five days of +30c. And even after a 10 hour trip in the pack and thrown in the back of the box and a long drive home at these temps it was still cool at arrival and we just butcher it then.

I like the canvas game bags.