PDA

View Full Version : leh 7-23-c

ramron
09-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm heading to the hominka for a leh moose hunt on oct 1, 7-23-c. I know this is also the opening of calf season, just wondering how much of a gong show it was last year?

Ted
09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
get on the river and you will not see anyone all day.

Tuffcity
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, we were next door in zone B last year and it was a horror show. The steady parade of traffic up and down the road was amazing. That area would also have been a stat generator for the CO Service.

Do yourself a favour and down load a bunch of googe earth images, find old cuts and swamps and get off the road.

My hunting partner phoned the bio before we headed up there with some general moose population enquiries and was told that the area strategy for caribou recovery was to really thin out the moose population so that the wolves would thin out. :eek: Hence the bull and cow draws open at the same time as calf season.

Nice country when it wasn't raining and some great grayling fishing!

lip_ripper00
09-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, we were next door in zone B last year and it was a horror show. The steady parade of traffic up and down the road was amazing. That area would also have been a stat generator for the CO Service.

Do yourself a favour and down load a bunch of googe earth images, find old cuts and swamps and get off the road.

My hunting partner phoned the bio before we headed up there with some general moose population enquiries and was told that the area strategy for caribou recovery was to really thin out the moose population so that the wolves would thin out. :eek: Hence the bull and cow draws open at the same time as calf season.

Nice country when it wasn't raining and some great grayling fishing!

Its sad really when they try to control moose populations, for a species that is not even indigenous to the area:idea:

PGK
09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Mtn caribou aren't indiginous to the parsnip eh...actually you have it backwards....the caribou were there before the moose...

lip_ripper00
09-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Mtn caribou aren't indiginous to the parsnip eh...actually you have it backwards....the caribou were there before the moose...

Wow, then my info is mistaken. please post a link so I will not be fooled again!!

Sitkaspruce
09-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Wow, then my info is mistaken. please post a link so I will not be fooled again!!

Lip_ripper....sigh:-P...this is tough to say:p...but PGK is actually correct.

A 100 years ago there was none or very few moose below Dease and Fort Nelly. They have slowly migrated down to where they are today. Talk to the old time FN folks and they tell me that their main meat food was Mt goat and caribou in the Fort St. James region. Moose did not start showing up until the very early 1900. At first they had no idea an animal that big walked the earth, so they were not sure what to do with it. After discussing it with other FN who they traded with, they were told it was good to eat. So it became a staple in their diet.

The caribou was here long before old bullwinkle came along. There is pockets of caribou spread through out 7A.

I would like to know the name of the Bio who told you about the hunt to reduce moose and wolves??? Seems kind of fishy to me.

Also, in most other areas of region 7A, the bull, cow and calf seson are all at the same time, so not sure about the logic with what has been said.

Cheers

SS

Cheers

SS

PGK
09-23-2009, 11:17 PM
7a moose are actually cousins of the chilcotin region bulls. Moose migrated north from the chilcotin with the advent of logging slash and early seral stage food sources. Until the early 1900s, PG and the central interior was all caribou country. The removal of the mature timber, subsequently replaced by epic moose browse got moose moving into the area, and the rest is what you see now.

As I understand it. I've never gotten a completely definitive answer out of my 'source', who is probably going to read this and laugh at me!

Moose, wolves and caribou....read away! Lots of discussion and debate about this, but it *appears* to be working. As you'll read, moose numbers in the study area are down. The main argument against this type of mgmt is that it may result in prey switching in the short term, and result in little or no long term effect. There is definitely a fine balance here...

http://www.bchydro.com/pwcp/pdfs/reports/parsnip_caribou_2008.pdf

http://www.bchydro.com/pwcp/pdfs/reports/pwfwcp_report_no_332.pdf

lip_ripper00
09-23-2009, 11:21 PM
7a moose are actually cousins of the chilcotin region bulls. Moose migrated north from the chilcotin with the advent of logging slash and early seral stage food sources. Until the early 1900s, PG and the central interior was all caribou country. The removal of the mature timber, subsequently replaced by epic moose browse got moose moving into the area, and the rest is what you see now.

As I understand it. I've never gotten a completely definitive answer out of my 'source', who is probably going to read this and laugh at me!

Moose, wolves and caribou....read away! Lots of discussion and debate about this, but it *appears* to be working. As you'll read, moose numbers in the study area are down. The main argument against this type of mgmt is that it may result in prey switching in the short term, and result in little or no long term effect. There is definitely a fine balance here...

http://www.bchydro.com/pwcp/pdfs/reports/parsnip_caribou_2008.pdf

http://www.bchydro.com/pwcp/pdfs/reports/pwfwcp_report_no_332.pdf

Thank you. and read I shall!!