PDA

View Full Version : Klappan Road Update

Mik
09-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Upon talkin to a moderator, and as this is important to me, any updates and the circumstances as to the road closure would greatly be appreciated. There seemed to be a few informed people so lets keep this thread civil, PLEASE NO POLITICS.

kennyj
09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Just curious,Isn't the access to Spatsizi ( eagle nest range) off the Klappan Rd.
Thanks
kenny

Mik
09-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Just curious,Isn't the access to Spatsizi ( eagle nest range) off the Klappan Rd.
Thanks
kenny
Yes, it is.

25tikka
09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes its the access to the trail head.

Devilbear
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Who would have closed this access to a Provincial Park and WHY would this be done now, just at hunting season?

Angel
09-23-2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39605

:eek:

goatdancer
09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Has there been anything on the news about this? If not, there could be lots of guys heading that way without any knowledge of thie event.

olharley guy
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Howdy, my best friend lives at Tatogga and all the Quocks are his inlaws. I have a call into him to call me and he will tell me the straight facts if the message gets to him to call me. If that fails his 2 boys live at Iskut and maybe I will give one of them a call. Dad is better to talk to though. Will let you know asap if I hear anything. Later

Gateholio
09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
This thread is, as stated- STRICTLY regarding the status of any access issues, which is why I allowed it. We want to know if hunters can get in/out of certain areas or not.

Any discussion pertaining to the political nature of roadblocks, native history in BC, if you disagree with the activism, etc etc etc will be deleted without warning and the poster banned for a time. There will be NO warnings given, this is your warning.

Rob
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
This thread is, as stated- STRICTLY regarding the status of any access issues, which is why I allowed it. We want to know if hunters can get in/out of certain areas or not.

Any discussion pertaining to the political nature of roadblocks, native history in BC, if you disagree with the activism, etc etc etc will be deleted without warning and the poster banned for a time. There will be NO warnings given, this is your warning.

Why are we not allowed to discuss "the native history in BC"? or ""the political nature of roadblocks"? Kinda seems important doesnt it? Especially the latter. Why not send me a list of the books I can read. Why not just ban people who are being rude or stupid? I see no reason why this has to be censored. Guess im banned now eh!?

teenawright
09-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Eviction Letters were given to the resident hunters today, whilst I have not read the content, I understand that all resident hunters are to vacate the Railway Grade and the Access Road by 6pm tomorrow or the gate that has been constructed to blockade the road will be locked and no one will be permitted to leave. These are the facts as I know them.

Rob
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Has Anyone asked for the RCMP's help in getting access? Just curious what their response would be, (I do believe though its out of their hands though), as was Gustafsen Lake. Nobody will intervene with this! Not the rcmp not the prov. or fed govt, and if any "outsider" tries to, it will be there fault for interfering. :roll:.

Gateholio
09-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Why are we not allowed to discuss "the native history in BC"? or ""the political nature of roadblocks"? Kinda seems important doesnt it? Especially the latter. Why not send me a list of the books I can read. Why not just ban people who are being rude or stupid? I see no reason why this has to be censored. Guess im banned now eh!?

If you want to discuss that stuff go start another thread.

A member is heading to the area and wants information, which is why this thread is here. It is not here for any political discussion, as said before. It's pretty simple, really.

shantz
09-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Related News Story

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/09/23/bc-moose-hunt-blockade.html

Angel
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Great link.
Thanks for the Link.

teenawright
09-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I have formally received a copy of the letter that has been passed out to the resident hunters in the Klappan area it is as follows:

TAHLTAN WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT NOTICE

TO ALL BC RESIDENT HUNTERS

September 22, 2009

KLAPPAN ROAD & ADJACENT AREA CLOSURE NOTICE

On behalf of the Tahltan Nation we are putting you on notice; you have until September 24th, 2009 at 6:00 pm to leave the Klappan grade area. If you idnore this notice you will be locked in. This notice applies to all road and river users. If you have any concerns, take them to the Provincial regulators or your Provincial elected representative.

This notice is related to the desire expressed by Tahltan people to ensure that wildlife populations are maintained at sufficient abundance levels to provide for the subsistence and cultural needs of the Tahltan people. At the same time, local non-native residents also have an interest in healthy and abundant wildlife.

Tahltan people have witnessed declines in moose and caribou populations in recent decades and especially in the last few years and have attempted many times to have discussions with Provincial regulators. In particular, talks focusing on solutions to active wildlife management and hunting opportunities have been ignored by the Province. Tahltan feel that if management action is not taken. moose and caribou populations may decline to such low densities that it will require years of intensive management to regain former populations levels.

Your feedback is valuable to the Province and can be registered at the Report All Poachers and Polluters website: http/www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm. Alternatively, you could bring your concerns to your duly elected Provincial MLA or to the Cabinet.

Thank you for your consideration in this difficult period during the lack of wildlife management.

Mik
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the update Teena. I personally spoke to a representative that is directly involved with the blockade and it was told to me," Sorry to have to do this, we cannot allow access to you" also mentioned was the fact that even FN People from other areas are calling to get access and the reply was the same. Until the Provincial Government steps in to put "restrictions on the 3 month open season" the "gate will be closed" and no-one will be allowed in or out.

Thanks to all those people that helped me with information regarding this "blockade".

We are now "off to explore other area of the province" namely around Ft. Nelson.

I will be asking MOE Hon.Barry Penner for my LEH Authorization Money back as well as my Grizzly tag which was already purchased for the area.
Mik

mcrae
09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the update Teena. I personally spoke to a representative that is directly involved with the blockade and it was told to me," Sorry to have to do this, we cannot allow access to you" also mentioned was the fact that even FN People from other areas are calling to get access and the reply was the same. Until the Provincial Government steps in to put "restrictions on the 3 month open season" the "gate will be closed" and no-one will be allowed in or out.

Thanks to all those people that helped me with information regarding this "blockade".

We are now "off to explore other area of the province" namely around Ft. Nelson.

I will be asking MOE Hon.Barry Penner for my LEH Authorization Money back as well as my Grizzly tag which was already purchased for the area.
Mik

That's really crappy I hope you guys still have a good trip though. At least you get to see new country.

You should get a refund on those tags its only fair but if I was you I wouldn't hold your breath...

Jed
09-24-2009, 04:27 PM
This notice is related to the desire expressed by Tahltan people to ensure that wildlife populations are maintained at sufficient abundance levels to provide for the subsistence and cultural needs of the Tahltan people. At the same time, local non-native residents also have an interest in healthy and abundant wildlife.

Does this mean I can shut down the area to all other hunters (white or native)that I like to hunt in?

They should should have read twice and thought about what they saying.

Un FN Beleivable

d6dan
09-24-2009, 04:30 PM
That's really crappy I hope you guys still have a good trip though. At least you get to see new country.

You should get a refund on those tags its only fair but if I was you I wouldn't hold your breath...
X2
Or maybe award you a spring Grizz and a new tag?.

EvanG
09-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Tell em you better not have reduced odds next leh go around either.

burger
09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I wonder how they are stopping any G/O from flying in and taking foreign clients into hunt. I think on the last thread for this someone had said that one of the elders owned the G/O in the area. Are they being held out in the name of conservation? I would like to think so.

Now on the flip side is there any form on controls from the local MOE's to make sure there is no over harvesting. I mean there is now a road block stopping all hunters other than who they deem fit from going in there. Whats stopping the more over zealous from reaping the rewards of a less pressured area.

lip_ripper00
09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
This is an UPDATE THREAD I you want to comment please go to the other thread! (and on your way out please delete past replys)

burger
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
This is an UPDATE THREAD I you want to comment please go to the other thread! (and on your way out please delete past replys)

I was looking for an update. As to whether there is any checks in place to control the situation.

Also the other thread is locked as of now. Was not trying to stir it up. I thought my questions are valid and have not been derogitory in any way.

lip_ripper00
09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I was looking for an update. As to whether there is any checks in place to control the situation.

Also the other thread is locked as of now. Was not trying to stir it up. I thought my questions are valid and have not been derogitory in any way.

not you directly
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=519367#post519367

NinVic
09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
We were on the Kapplan river road tuesday and although we spoke to natives at the gate, we left in the night and there was no one at the gate as it was unmanned. We never got that notice so they were sloppy in distributing them for sure.

Gateholio
09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Any more news for hunters heading in tot he area?

Kitimat Killer
09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
friends just got back from there there letting ppl out but nothing in so if you were in you could get out and did not have to leave right away but no way is any one getting in

kk

40incher
10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Just a note to clarify the "issue".

Rick MacLean, "Tahltan Chief" quoted in the article, also happens (ironically) to be the guide-outfitter for the area around Dease Lake. Guess the non-resident hunter's harvest is not so much of a concern, only the resident's.

Sorry Gatehouse. Just thought everyone should know what's what in the buckwheat.

Mik
02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Mik

A small victory for all hunters affected by the Klappan road closure,

As promised, here is the response from MOE regarding my LEH Authorizations;

Hi Mike.

Sorry for the delay while a decision was being discussed. We are sending a letter today to each person who won a draw in the affected area last year. Enclosed with the letter will be a blank LEH application for each hunt they were successful for (as many as 3). We will also be ensuring that successful applicants’ odds are not reduced in 2010 and subsequently for the species you were successful for.

We are not refunding licence or travel costs, neither are we guaranteeing the same draw for folks in 2010 as this would be contrary to regulation and policy.

I am afraid I am not the person to discuss the legal issues. I realise that this is not exactly what you were asking for but I hope you recognise that it’s the extent of what we’re able to do.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Addison, RP Bio
Biometrician, Fish and Wildlife Branch
Christopher.Addison@gov.bc.ca

safarichris
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
If by denying access with road closures for Resident Hunters also effects a road to a Provincial Park. Should not our Government be some what concerned? Are Park authorities allowed in?

Jelvis
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
That's not ok sassy this threads only for the road, if it's open or not, and you tricked me so I change it, no more tricks sas stick with the plan..
jel

safarichris
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
That's why there are Federal laws in Canadian Constitution, and B.C. laws under the Wild Life Act, and also BC Attorney General all in the mix with the concern to keep their own laws they legislated first and foremost, and work together for clarity and co-operation for a common law, to impose and regulate and enforce under their authority and jurisdiction.
It's not like cooking up hash brown taters and bacon and eggs with some hot coffee by the pot belly stove, this stuff is high level on a needs to know basis in many rooms and houses and courts.
Jelly saweet breads .. lol .. Tennis anyone? ..

Sounds like a real ''Mulligan'' to me.

safarichris
02-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I have a simple question: If the said roadblock on the klappan, not withstanding the Hunter situation ALSO denies access to a Provincial Park. Is not said roadblock in violation under the Law?

mark
02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a simple question: If the said roadblock on the klappan, not withstanding the Hunter situation ALSO denies access to a Provincial Park. Is not said roadblock in violation under the Law?

The road block blocks crown land, that right there is a violation under law. FN seem to be above the law??????
Wish we had a leader with some balls to stop the BS!!!!
Id like to see the military brought in, and give them about 5 seconds to start packing up for home! :-D

BromBones
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Chris -

That's an interesting question. There was a short notice on BC Parks website some time ago about the blockades, but has since been removed.

I believe Park staff were not denied access.

Luck permitting, I'll be on the Klappan in May hunting bears, and will try to get a 'feel' for the situation to see what might happen for the fall moose hunters. Also will be speaking to some members of the Iskut band in the coming weeks.

safarichris
02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Chris -

That's an interesting question. There was a short notice on BC Parks website some time ago about the blockades, but has since been removed.

I believe Park staff were not denied access.

Luck permitting, I'll be on the Klappan in May hunting bears, and will try to get a 'feel' for the situation to see what might happen for the fall moose hunters. Also will be speaking to some members of the Iskut band in the coming weeks.
Would not a formal letter from every Organization, Society and Club that the inventive mind of man can think of, stating that Canadians are now also being denied access to crown Land and a provincial Park by this road closure, pull some weight?

Mik
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Someone on this site mentioned that the road was "dug up". let me know what you find out. Im just glad that I get my priority back for my wasted 2009 tag:-D

Mik
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Would not a formal letter from every Organization, Society and Club that the inventive mind of man can think of, stating that Canadians are now also being denied access to crown Land and a provincial Park by this road closure, pull some weight?
Chris, I believe that there are already quite a few letters out there, so far not doing much good. BTW-welcome back. Mike

BromBones
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Someone on this site mentioned that the road was "dug up". let me know what you find out. Im just glad that I get my priority back for my wasted 2009 tag:-D

I can't see it being trenched - the natives use that road frequently. Also, access for that mine site (name escapes me right now) on the north slope of Todagin is at 6km on the Ealue road, and those guys should be busy so I doubt it's ditched.

Dug up or not, wont matter for me, I'll be walking in:wink:

I will be sure to let everyone know anything I find out on the Klappan.

Livinlarge
07-19-2014, 07:21 PM
This is a little off topic from the original content of the post but I'm looking for any info on the condition of the klappan rail grade right now.

Confused
07-20-2014, 10:11 AM
This is a little off topic from the original content of the post but I'm looking for any info on the condition of the klappan rail grade right now.

Went over it a couple weeks ago in helicopter. Washed out agian 5 km after klappan bridge. No vehicles would make it in, but quad would with little work I imagine.