PDA

View Full Version : dogs with worms

Rob
09-22-2009, 07:05 PM
If a dog has worms does it necessarily mean they should be skinny? My lab who is going to be 2yrs on Sat. still occasionally eats her turds and eats grass.? I think Shes getting enough to eat, any thoughts? Thanks Rob

Marc
09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I've got a 11 year old lab that walks behind Marshall waiting for him to finish. The thing is still steaming and she just finished eating a lbs of raw food... Nothing wrong with the dog she's just a poo eater.

Sitkaspruce
09-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Both my dogs eat grass all the time. I de-worm my dogs every three months whether they need it or not. It is easy and cheap.
Just too many dogs where we run and way too many other poops to smell.

If your dog is happy and in good shape, and has no worms in her poop, then there is nothing to worry about.

Cheers

SS

Sasquatch
09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Weight loss is only one possible symptom of worms. Vomiting, poor coat, lethargic behavior are also symptoms.

Not all worms are visible to the naked eye in the dogs stool. If you suspect your dog may have worms, take a small stool sample to your vet and have them check it. Simple test and a relatively simple fix if needed.

It is very easy for dogs that eat turds in dogs parks and similar areas to acquire worms.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Dogs are just gross:-?.

You won't find my cats routing through the litter box looking for snacks:tongue:.

SSS

Rob
09-23-2009, 06:02 AM
My dog is always full of energy and she looks healthy. Oh well, Ill just give her more breath busters:D. Thanks

Sasquatch
09-23-2009, 01:48 PM

You won't find my cats routing through the litter box looking for snacks:tongue:.

SSS

Yes, but with a dog, you don't have a litter box full of those pleasant "snacks" right in your house. :-P Talk about gross!

newhunterette
09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
our dogs eat grass all the time especially when they are thirsty after a nice run and the water isnt readily available for them (takes time to open a bottle of water and pour for them)

our lab used to be poop eater so we took her to the vet and asked what to do, he said give her certs candies - the retsin in the candy makes thier poop unpleasant for them, she doesn't eat her poop any longer and she stays away from other poops as well okay all excpet Squeaker's poop, can't figure out why both dogs eat the duck's poop lol

09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
lucky its just the poop! i inadvertantly took my dog to a duck santuary (wasnt posted by the trail i took) new in town. man did i get some bad looks! Ya ever see a lab put up a raft of ducks when someone is painting them? oooo bad! oops! any way he eats poo, got some funnie stories about it! he has had worms once. 35$ for a quarter a pill later they were gone.

303Brit
09-24-2009, 04:58 PM
This Thread reminds me of Bill Engvall and the blue collar comedy tour

mijinkal
09-24-2009, 05:02 PM
It's threads like this that make me love this site even more.
Fortunately my dog's not a poop eater.

carnivore
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
The only poop my dog seems to be interested in is deer poop. He eats it one pellet at a time as if he were savoring a glossete raisin.

09-25-2009, 01:15 PM
It's threads like this that make me love this site even more.
Fortunately my dog's not a poop eater

MIJINKAL
what kind a dog you got? does it hunt well?
maby i'll get one next.
It is hard to explain to your buddie you got a good dog when he liks your friends face after well you know, poop eating. And not deer poop!

riflebuilder
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
My dogg just likes cat poop, I almost have to put an electric fence around the litter box. She doesn't touch dog poop.

09-25-2009, 02:06 PM
dont ever buy buckweat cat litter

ruger#1
09-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Rob , I would de worm your dog, You don't want your little girl to get worms from the dog licking her hand and then she puts her hand in her mouth. They have a pill that will get rid of all the worms. Sorry I do not know the name of the pill.

09-25-2009, 02:17 PM
ask your vet. ruger is right.It is pricey from the vet but it works and the cost is cheep compaired to the alternative

sawmill
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM

SSS

Yeah but you won`t find your cats putting the fear of God into some asshead trying to get in your house at 3 A.M.Nothing says F#CK OFF like two 90 pounders losing their minds on the other side of the door.
My dogs don`t eat poo,they eat bandits.:mrgreen:

solanderdog
10-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Rob , I would de worm your dog, You don't want your little girl to get worms from the dog licking her hand and then she puts her hand in her mouth. They have a pill that will get rid of all the worms. Sorry I do not know the name of the pill.

Interceptor (milbemycin oxime)

Rob
11-04-2009, 09:41 AM
What does this have to do with dogs eating turds?:confused:

solanderdog
11-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Some sort of spam attempt/testing.

West Coast Waterfowler
11-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Gotta luv dogs.

Our dog sometimes relishes his own poop, much to the dismay of our electrician who was here this summer doing some work around our deck. While the electrician was working, our dog decided to take a crap in the corner of the yard. A few minutes later the electrician saw our dog eating the fresh poop.

The only reason we knew something was amiss was from the harbour-seal barking sounds coming from the electrician as he fought to keep from barfing.

Very funny.

Our dog also eats lots of grass (not a concern, according to our vet). He's got no worms (checked regularly by the vet), so the vet gave him some type of food additive to make his poop less attractive. It worked.

solanderdog
11-07-2009, 06:16 AM
My lab started doing that a few years ago when we first put him on diet. I found just being really vigilant about getting it cleaned up right away helped a lot. Took away the option and he seemed to forget about it over time. Now, I just go out once in the morning to clean up instead of watching him like a hawk every time he rings the bell to be let out. Lately, we've been feeding him Royal Canin Lab 30 too, which is designed, among other things, to help curb the lab appetite. Seems to work.