PDA

View Full Version : walltents and how many they can hold.

Mr. Friendly
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
there's 3 of us, though 2 of us primarily. we're debating what size of tent we need to purchase, or the layout we should have internally (ie. where the stove would go and where the cots would go depending on where the stove is).

having no experience with a walltent (I've never even been in one) but needing one (5500ft elevation late Oct, early Nov) I'd like to hear what those of you who have a walltent or been in one have to say about it. thanks! :D

we would like to have enough space for 2/3 cots and a table to use as a workbench to clean our rifles on or keep something off the ground if necessary. I'm also wondering about how useful a walltent floor is vs. your standard nylon tarp?

J_T
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I've got a couple of wall tents and since I started using them, I'd never go to anything else for hunting or long term camping.

Spent 10 days at -25 to -33 in it last December.

I have a 12 x 14 (5 foot walls) and a 14 x 16 (4 foot walls). You have to have a porch. Walls on your porch aren't important, but a roof is.

I've slept 8 in the 14 x 16 although comfortable is 4. I've slept 3 in a 10 x 12 too. It's a question of how comfortable you want to be. When we late season, we have 2 guys to a 12 x 14. Lots of room.

Stove location: I prefer chimney exit through the wall then your roof line is seemless. Up front just inside the door is a good location, but mine are both in the centre back. I move my stove far enough into from the back wall that I can use the area behind the stove.

Floor: gotta have one. You can buy a heavy duty canvas floor for relatively cheap.

There's a start. Your always going to fuss with them. I'm always trying new shelving combinations and table combinations.

tomahawk
09-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I have a 14x18, have slept 6 with cots but too crowded. 4 is good, my chimney is front left as you enter the tent, front right is the 3x6ft table for cooking etc, lawn chairs surround the stove and cots at the rear. I wouldn't go back to a camper unless I had to. On the center ridge pole I have a drying pole and bring coat hangers and if its raining or snowing the clothes are dry with the stove on by morning. Been in -25 Bison hunting and with 3 layers of tarps on the tent we were in our tee shirts inside.

Beaverhunter
09-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Bigger is better for late season when you are gonna spend your evenings in there.

rugeer
09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I concur with JT we have hunted out of a 14x16 for 20 years , at all times of year, and in all types of weather, the only way to go for three to five guy's, tarp the roof, and build an extention on the front, ours is 8 feet, we have tried the wood stove in various spots in the tent and have found, out the back and up is best, for two reasons ,you can have more of your pipe in the tent retaining more heat and you are not burning your tarp with ashes,it is a big purchase at the time but if looked after will last you many enjoyable years of being out of doors. enjoy and good luck

husky30-06
09-22-2009, 08:26 PM
up untill a few years ago...... we used ours for a sleep tent...12 people and the colder ones slept near the stove which was at the back and the warmer of us slept up near the door for a cool breeze if needed, but three or four with a table and seating area... ours was a 15'x 25' or so!!!!

danfloris
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
i bought one of those Cabelas Alaknak tents it is a 12 by 20 and i love it.. it comes with a floor already attached and the zip out spot for ur stove. i can fit easy 3 people with a table and stove in it. sets up in about 25 mins with 2 guys 35 with one.

down side the walls are thin and if u are the guy sleeping by the back door it is a little cold unless ur build the fire smoken hot. there are doors on both ends as well... i really do like it though spent allota day and nights in it... it is 100 percent water proof and stands up well well in wind and snow.

it was about a grand and came with 2 cots.....go to SIR on google it will send u too cabelas canada...its green and sweet.

husky30-06
09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
i bought one of those Cabelas Alaknak tents it is a 12 by 20 and i love it.. it comes with a floor already attached and the zip out spot for ur stove. i can fit easy 3 people with a table and stove in it. sets up in about 25 mins with 2 guys 35 with one.

down side the walls are thin and if u are the guy sleeping by the back door it is a little cold unless ur build the fire smoken hot. there are doors on both ends as well... i really do like it though spent allota day and nights in it... it is 100 percent water proof and stands up well well in wind and snow.

it was about a grand and came with 2 cots.....go to SIR on google it will send u too cabelas canada...its green and sweet.

feel for ya.... but ours is canvas... very warm BUT VERY HEAVY!!!!!!!

Beaverhunter
09-22-2009, 08:41 PM

I have the same tent but in 12x12 very happy with it i can easily have it set up by mysself in 15min but like you say the walls are thin.

BCBRAD
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/huntingsept2009058.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/huntingsept2009101.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/hunt07080.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/wilson050.jpg
I like canvas tents!

goatdancer
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM
We have a 12 x 14. We lay a tarp on the ground inside the tent and then roll out 2 cheap indoor-outdoor rugs over the tarp. Helps keep the gear clean and the floor is warmer on the feet.

dime
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM

My Buddy has the Alaknak 12x20 and I have the Big Horn tent from Cablela's. They are both so much easier than a traditional wall tent to set up, and half the weight. As well, if you are in rain or snow the drying time is way less with no mildew or mold growing concerns. My Big Horn tent is 12'x14' and sleeps two easy with small table. Have them shipped to Bellingham UPS store and save a bunch of cash on duty and shipping. I paid $650 US included stove and poles, less than half what you would pay for a wall tent of comparable size.

Crazy.kayaker
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Okay so my brother and I are getting a wall tent in the 12x14 size. Since the basic model comes with windows and covers for them along with a the door and screen pretty much the works. Less hassle for a first tent since the frame is also included and fitted to the tent. So now it comes down to the Stove...which is my job. I just had to wait till we knew what tent we were getting. What size of stove and what models do you recommend. I want to use this stove for winter camping and if possible for boiling water. Also how far do I need to keep it from the wall of the tent so I know how much Ducting I need to get for said stove. I'm sure I missed lots of question so PLEASE educate me on stoves so I can pick the one best for my brother and me.

Statler
09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I built my stove out of 1/8'' stainless steel. It is about 18w x 16h x 30L. Made the door handle out of an old welding chipping hammer. Capped a piece of 3" pipe and welded and tapped a piece of round stock to the cap for the front vent and then welded abolt to the front of the door in the center of 4 ea drilled holes for draft. Sort of like a hockey puck looking deal. Worked like a charm. Lasts all night on a slow burn and will drive you out of the tent on high. As for the distance from the wall of the tent my stove is about 10" or so. I can keep it this close because I took a couple pieces of 16 ga alum sheet, longer and taller than the stove, bent a safety edge onto them and then attached them together with a piano hinge. It sits about 2-3 inches behind the stove and acts as a heat deflector. The wall of the tent with this setup is barely warm. As my stove pipe goes out the front wall I have always found it was a good idea to drop a few sheetmetal screws into the stove pipe so that it won't come apart. I also have a bolt that anchors the pipe at the colar on top of the stove. Sure makes sleeping during a windy night a lot more pleasant.

iiijbird
09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0796.JPG

The trusty barrel stove, took about two hours to build. Holds fire to about 3 or 4 am depending on temp.
CJ

dutchie
09-30-2009, 10:54 PM
We got 6 grown men inside a 12X16 Canvas Condo! it was -5 to -10 and we were gone for 8 days. A little cozy but we built bunk beds so there wasnt cotts all around the tent.

We are doing it again this year and there are no issues, but we are all extremely good friends.

They fit alot of people if you can get along with all the poeple. if not only 1!!

Dutchie

ohno
10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...m/IMG_0796.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0796.JPG)I've used a wall tent on a mid-Oct mountain hunt. 4 cots a stove and a table. Our cots were our chairs. There was no floor but we used a small piece of cardboard beside our cot to stand on to put boots on etc.

When we set it up there was snow on the floor after a couple hours with the stove going the ground was bone dry. It was mostly moss and pine needles.

The guys lucky enough to sleep by the fire kept it going through the night. It is a treat to wake up to a nice warm tent and dry clothes.

Crazy.kayaker
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
looking at cabala's for stoves but see a stove I really want on the US web site. it's the Sheep herders stove that lets you hang a water heating tank on the side. Any idea where I could find one like that up here?

2slow
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
We bought a 14x16 from deluxe wall tents(site sponsor) here is a link to a video of camp. I plan to do a full setup video this year if i remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PkFAM0PS50