PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten Fishing rule

Ciskman
09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
So Im out fishing coho with a buddy today and we get informed that there is an "unwritten rule" that states(or doesn't:wink:) that you fish for 10 minutes then sit for 5. Couldnt get a reason out of the ol feller though. Anybody ever heard of this?

Gateholio
09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
So you reel in your line every 10 minutes for 5 minutes?:eek:

Steeleco
09-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm rusty when it comes to fishing, but that sounds like some old wives tale to me??

Ciskman
09-21-2009, 09:34 PM
yeah didnt make sense to me either. More then half the people there were doing it ...I just want a fish man!

PGK
09-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Well if it was a busy spot and you weren't rotating or getting out of the way, then I would figure he was ready to tell you just about anything to get you to move.

Ciskman
09-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Well if it was a busy spot and you weren't rotating or getting out of the way, then I would figure he was ready to tell you just about anything to get you to move.

Na wasn't that. Its a huge shore with not that many people fishing.

Not like some of the crap I saw at the Puntledge River last year. Guys wanting to rip each others heads off and such. Even witnessed a shoving match.:-?

UFC Puntledge coming soon!

Gateholio
09-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Shouting and shoving??? Fishing is supposed to be relaxing.:mrgreen:

Wild one
09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Salmon fishing you got to love it !!There is a reason I don't go fishing in spots full of people.

Ciskman
09-21-2009, 10:17 PM

I thought so too. Apparantly not around here though. When fishing in Comox valley ensure to pack your trusty battle axe and ninja stars...

Its not fishing dudes its war!!:cool:

crofton_hunter
09-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Nice! Just be sure to wear a can of bear mase around your neck and they'll leave you alone, trust me ;)

Gilmore
09-21-2009, 10:30 PM

You've obviously never fished with Dan Carson.:-D

Bow Walker
09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Did the ol guy follow his own rule? Maybe he wanted you out of the water so as to better his chances...

09-22-2009, 09:42 AM
They are probably trying not to "Beat the water" i guess.
maby not. I fished the stamp for coho, sockeye and springs a number of years, and it gets busy there. Never heard of fish 10 sit 5....
but in port albernie we do fish 10 drink beer 10 maby the same thing?

303Brit
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
If you were fishing the southern end of Singing Sands, then you will run into that regularly as there is a group of old guys that fish there pretty well daily. But as they are all older guys they do tend to like to take breaks and such which lets them go and sit and then when they are ready again they want you out of "there spot". I have been told the same thing on that beach and the next beach over. Which is why when I do Shore fish on the rare occasion, I go closer to the ferry. As for the Puntledge well ya, when they aren't shoving each other, they're casting across each others line, or continuing to fish the pool while someone has a fish on, etc etc.

But I'll see you down the river next week, rod in one hand axe in the other and ninja throwing stars in my teeth

Ciskman
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Bow Walker - yup he was doing it as well as a few other people..not everyone mind you

303Brit - This was by the ferry. Probably seen you there, Ive been out the past 3 days around low tide. You?

The pool at the puntledge just outside downtown Courtenay is EXACTLY where I saw all the crap last year. HAHA obviously happens a lotmore then I thought!

303Brit
09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Ciskman- that is Singing Sands Beach, and if you go closer to the ferry as oppose the being right at the end of Singing Sands rd then you will have less problem with the old guys that are to lazy to walk that far. The reason tey want that spot is the point extends out 100m or so from shore, and stacks up a min of 30' over the surrounding bottom, which stacks up the fish. I also find fishing there proves to be more effective a hi tide bite IMO.
As for the puntledge the 3 condensary pools are the most popular, I fish the lowest one but I have waders so I fish from the other side of the river alot. I have spent alot of time in that river so when its too cowd I can move elsewhere and still catch fish.

If you want a fishing buddy PM and we can set up sometime

Chuck
09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
They are probably trying not to "Beat the water" i guess.
maby not. I fished the stamp for coho, sockeye and springs a number of years, and it gets busy there. Never heard of fish 10 sit 5....
but in port albernie we do fish 10 drink beer 10 maby the same thing?

Don't beat the water and take a beer break - now that makes sense imo.

Salty
09-23-2009, 02:09 PM
The only unwritten rule that I go by is STFU and fish. ..