PDA

View Full Version : To Hot to Hunt?

ZENYO
09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
We are heading out for a couple of days in the Cache Creek area this weekend. I looked at the long range forecast and it’s supposed to be between 25 and 27 in town. I don’t imagine it will change too much in the mountain… Will it? I guess it depends on how you go…

Anyway, I’ve never really hunted when it’s hot out. Do our chances decrease? For finding game, are there some general rules to follow when it’s hot out? Or is it more along the lines of hunt early morning and take the hot afternoon off?

BTW, I'll have my HBC hat on... If you see me say hi!

Thanks

FlyingHigh
09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
i would say hunt early morning and evening. during the day, either take a break, or hunt the shadows. look for places the game will hole up to stay out of the heat, around water holes, in small valleys and depressions, under thick brush.

Shooter
09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
What are you hunting for?

ZENYO
09-21-2009, 02:38 PM
What are you hunting for?

8) I guess that's an important peice of info...8)

Muleys... Hopefully some grouse along the way.

09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Try to be on thier route to bed well before day break. And stay there until dark. Like you they like to be cool hence leaving the field for bed early.

Shooter
09-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Don't be too surprised if you can still catch them out in the heat. But you may have to walk some slash to find them. They like to lay in the small depressions and reveens. Try walking right through the middle of some slash you may just pop some up. Also try walking like 10-50 yards just inside the timber. The deer don't dissappear when it gets hot out it just seems that way. They are still there.

KevinB
09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
They're calling for 25C on the weekend. That's only 5C above the normal average high and not that unusual for around here for this time of year. It's not as stinking hot out there in the woods as you'd think.

We saw several does, one small buck, and a lot of grouse yesterday afternoon after ~ 3PM while just exploring. The deer were all out in the wide open in cutblocks, at about 4,000 - 5,000 feet.

ZENYO
09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Great,

Thanks for the tips and advice. It looks like we are going to veasy lake... Can't wait!