PDA

View Full Version : Hunting When it is a Full Moon

moosehunter12
09-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I am going hunting in a few weeks and at the start of the trip it will be a full moon and was just wondering if there are any tips?

Shooter
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Full moon in Oct can be a tough hunt I find. I don't really have any advice just persevere.

BiG Boar
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I am going hunting in a few weeks and at the start of the trip it will be a full moon and was just wondering if there are any tips?

At least you will have an excuse if things dont pan out. Add to that some warm weather and poachers pit lamping.

bushpig slayer
09-21-2009, 04:07 PM
i went out for moose 3 years ago hot and so bright at night you didn't need a flash light.worst hunt ever,but the last night of the last hour of the hunt a huge bull came out and stood on the road as we were going back to camp.with no hesitation he was down on the ground.the funny thing was we were already packed to go home.it was the best unpacking i ever did.so anything can happen out in the bush good or bad weather.just enjoy yourself and it will fall into place.

frenchbar
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I love hunting around the full moon!Get up high and get out of bed early:biggrin:

winbuckhunter
09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
depends if there is cloud cover or not.. if its gloomy and raining.. the hunting should be fine.. but if the nights are clear.. the animals will be out all night feeding and you wont see much! IMO

hillclimber
09-21-2009, 07:32 PM
i find that full moon doesn't affect hunting so much as they say. sometimes i even see more bucks because of it. just after the full moon it is good deer hunting.

Big Lew
09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Don't know about moose hunting during the full moon cycle, but it has been my experience that deer will more likely bed down in the middle of logging slashes well before daylight during the full moon and can quite often be seen travelling along the edges or between slashes by mid-morning and toward noon.

tomahawk
09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
i find that full moon doesn't affect hunting so much as they say. sometimes i even see more bucks because of it. just after the full moon it is good deer hunting.

I agree, as well as moose can still only eat till there stomach is full, then it has to be processed through the 4 chambers, then they need to eat again and up they get. Don't forget that they move around and eat at night even when there is no moon out. The full moon benifits humans with sight more than animals.

Beaverhunter
09-21-2009, 07:59 PM
I would hunt at night

fozzy
09-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I would hunt at night

I'm touching that one other than I hope that's a joke. :)

Paulyman
09-21-2009, 09:01 PM

Turn off the headlights, the moon gives off plenty of light:-D

kennyj
09-21-2009, 09:02 PM
You might not see as much first thing in the morning,but they'll move more in late morn early arternoon.I think its important to stay out all day.
kenny

elkdom
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
You might not see as much first thing in the morning,but they'll move more in late morn early arternoon.I think its important to stay out all day.
kenny

x2 on that! a twelve hour feeding pattern has them moving midday for water and forage, add to that the younger bulls are lonely many of them driven away from momma by big bulls during the rut,,,

between 11 am and 3 pm can be most rewarding during a full moon, at this time you cannot depend on early morning and late afternoon success:smile:

Sitkaspruce
09-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I agree, as well as moose can still only eat till there stomach is full, then it has to be processed through the 4 chambers, then they need to eat again and up they get. Don't forget that they move around and eat at night even when there is no moon out. The full moon benifits humans with sight more than animals.

Ditto

I have had some of my best days calling in moose while there is a full moon. They seem to be more active all day and some of the best times have been the early afternoon, when most hunters are resting:-D. All the full moon does give the hunters an excuse as to why they were not so lucky....:wink:

I find that the full moon affects deer more so than moose and elk.

Cheers

SS

Tiptoe
09-22-2009, 12:35 AM
I seem to see fewer deer when hunting during a full(ish) moon. I certainly have no scientific evidence 9 wish I' had kept a log book) but would much rather hunt during a dark moon phase. I cannot really comment for moose, though.
It's a very interesting and I would love to hear what others have to say!
Good luck!

ratherbefishin
09-22-2009, 06:54 AM
some time ago I read an article that claimed there was increased game activity around 3 o'clock in the afternoon following a full moon.Not sure if there is are truth to that-but we shot a nice buck the next afternoon. about that time-it was a full moon.Fact is-game move to feed, or breed wherever they want to,they don't stop just because of a full moon

Mr. Friendly
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the law or have misinterpreted the regulations, but I thought we're only allowed to hunt from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset, or is it 30min? in any case, not during the night... :confused:

Jelvis
09-22-2009, 06:47 PM
that's right Captain Jack, " No huntinck during bright moon light cuz it's night time. " lol I know you wood not --
I found that from studying data from hunting mags and deer books that when the full moon is shining down and bright as a neon light in the Barz --
The hunting can be CRAP, ok. Deer have refectors in their eyes with so much candle light when you see them with the head lights they shine on --
So Cougarzz. see eyes in light -- deer go by picking up a movement --
If it's a bright moon coming tonight for instance the deer will be out a little longer this eveninck and earlier in the morninck - less active in the Moon Light --
jElvis -- King of Neon -- Thank you veddy mutch --

tomahawk
09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the law or have misinterpreted the regulations, but I thought we're only allowed to hunt from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset, or is it 30min? in any case, not during the night... :confused:

Your right, anyone hunting otherwise is a poacher!!