PDA

View Full Version : 4 day hunt.. first night in hospital

Jay 7mm
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
2 hours into our 4 point hunt near roche lake.. flip my quad coming down a big hill.. and split my finger in half... and what finger?? yes my trigger finger... on the way to the hospital i go.... they said they might have to amputate.. stredded my tendent split my arteries.. cut the vains.. it was a mess but lucky the plastic surgen in kamloops saved it.. thank you dr. Hallgren.... great job fixing it... the boys cominto town to pick me up later that night.. with a 300 lb black bear... in tha back a the truck... nice dark brown in collor.... and the rest of the week i just sat back atr camp... took a coulpe shots left handed and didnt do to bad... sapost to go to pg in october for moose.... i hope i'll be good by then....

Amphibious
09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
heal up and get back in the game. luck was on your side it seems!

d6dan
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Thats not the way to start your season?. shootin left is okay, I do it all the time...Practise. Good luck to you...

bearhunter338-06
09-21-2009, 11:17 AM
try pulling the trigger with your middle finger. I put my trigger finger through the table saw years age and had a trap shoot that weekend. used my middle finger and won (should of kept using my middle finger), it hurt like hell, as it was still a fresh injury. hope this helps.

09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
try pulling the trigger with your middle finger. I put my trigger finger through the table saw years age and had a trap shoot that weekend. used my middle finger and won (should of kept using my middle finger), it hurt like hell, as it was still a fresh injury. hope this helps.

I knew a fellow up by Niton Junction who buggered up his trigger finger and he also ended up just using his middle finger. Get well soon.

landphil
09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
That bites! - glad to hear they were able to save yer finger though - try the middle finger thing - I've done it before with good results - just for fun mind you.

Cyrus
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Not to get off topic but there was a guy here in Kamloops hurt really bad on his ATV on the weekend. The machine rolled on him and he was pinned under it for several hours before anyone found him. He was airlifted to hospital. I have had a few close calls on mine. My machine is over 700 lbs just with fuel in it. Gotta watch it on these things!

The Hermit
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd like to know more about the quad flippin?? What were you doing to cause that? I want to avoid that kind of thing!!!

Jay 7mm
09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
thanks for the get wells.. well more about the quad fliping.. more my fault than anything.. was going down a realy steep hill... first mistake did not but it in low gear.. so was crawling down the hill using both breaks front and back.. and as i got about 30 ' from the bottom it got steaper.. and started to pick up momentom.. back tires were just skidding and i squezzed the front breaks ever so slightly and that was it.. up and over the handle bars face first into the ground.. quad came rolling over hit me in the legs.. but not to serious.. and rolled onto its side.. thank god didnt keep rolling over me.. could have been alot worst.....

Gun Babe
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident, wishing you a speedy recovery. Also hope those buddies of your are going to share some bear meat with you...

Take care and good luck in PG.....

eberly270
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
your sure lucky

Going Hot
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Shiiteeee dude, hope you have a speedy recovery! Maybe start shooting with the opposite hand?? I've got a few lefty buddies and they also shoot right if they have too; anyway just a thought to salvage some of the season.

Rock Doctor
09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
thanks for the get wells.. well more about the quad fliping.. more my fault than anything.. was going down a realy steep hill... first mistake did not but it in low gear.. so was crawling down the hill using both breaks front and back.. and as i got about 30 ' from the bottom it got steaper.. and started to pick up momentom.. back tires were just skidding and i squezzed the front breaks ever so slightly and that was it.. up and over the handle bars face first into the ground.. quad came rolling over hit me in the legs.. but not to serious.. and rolled onto its side.. thank god didnt keep rolling over me.. could have been alot worst.....

Well, that sucks, but having it in low gear is not the answer on really steep hills. I flipped mine forward in a similar situation, yrs ago, becouse I was in first gear. The wheels could not turn fast enough for the grade, and over the bike went. I was young, and following Daddy's instructions, just about broke my back. Dad felt pretty bad about the whole thing, but what don't kill ya makes ya stronger, right:smile:

Doe
09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Sooo, good thing you dont type with your trigger finger...:) Get well soon, and hey, at least you wipe out it sounds really cool....I just dump over on my ride...lol

Mik
09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Bin there dun that, (hit a rock with a tie rod and over I went), Glad to hear you're ok, hope the finger heals quick, thank God for great doctors!

SR80
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
did you flip your quad coming down that hill along the power lines by chance?

johnny cabbage
09-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Jay, was that you i red about in the kamloops paper, pinned under your quad for 5 hours? OUCH!

BiG Boar
09-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Its back brake only and slightly (very slightly) on the front brake. As soon as you cant slow down and youre picking up speed, or you are about to hit something, I would jump off. Your quad isnt worth your life. I saw a guy do the same thing and instead of bailing off one side, he chose to endo into a rock pile at the bottom, just about broke his neck.

jrjonesy
09-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Sorry about your finger. Glad it wasn't your back, like it so often is.

Spokerider
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Cervical and spinal injuries from quad crashes are real, with some disabilities lasting forever.

Try to walk the route before attempting it on four wheels, and if your "inside voice" says no way......try another way, or winch your bike down backwards, use two people to walk it down over the suspect spot etc.

Brambles
09-23-2009, 10:28 AM
That really blows dog....... glad you left the hospital with all your parts. It would suck to have to leave your trigger finger behind. Hope you heal up fast.

Foxtail
09-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I did a similar one just south of kamloops on a hunting trip last year. It wasn't on a hill though. I was going through a rock garden just before a steep climb and trying to use momentum. My front right locked on a rock and threw me off and to the side. Machine tipped on it's side and I ended up severely spraining my thumb. Screwed up the rest of my trip... plus I had to ride 20km of rough quad trail with my throttle thumb in a world of hurt back to camp.

Made me think for the first time of installing a left hand throttle like on the sled...