PDA

View Full Version : best time for immatures?

ratherbefishin
09-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I've never even seen an immature-I hunt in the first week of October.Should I be going sooner-or later,or just carry on calling?[I get mature bulls coming in -but no ''junior''s]should I just cow call?

gary murray
09-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I've asked these same questions as you. I've heard they come in to bull calls but i always usually just do the cow call as i always thought a bull call may be too intimidating for the young immatures. Same as the method of calling by thrashing and raking branches on a tree. If i was a small bull with only spikes, would i want to come in to face a bull with a huge spread thats destroying trees? Yet again, i've heard they do come in out of curiosity as well as using a bull grunt call. I've never really called any moose in that i know off. One time i was cow calling and left after a half hour of hearing no replies only to come back later and find that a moose came in and walked over my foot prints. I should of waited it out as i found out that they don't always reply and will sneak in on you and can hear your calls from a mile away. Most moose experts will say they sit in one spot for up to 4 hours before changing their locations. Someone on here will be able to give you the right answers as i would like to know more myself about calling. I saw an immy last night but he took off before i could stop the quad but he was by himself and no cow in sight.