PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting Parsnip 7-23

bc_buckshot
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
In 2 weeks going to Parsnip for my Moose draw I have. Anyone can help me out with some areas in Parsnip. Never been there so it will be a adventure. Thanks

lip_ripper00
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
In 2 weeks going to Parsnip for my Moose draw I have. Anyone can help me out with some areas in Parsnip. Never been there so it will be a adventure. Thanks

A,B,C,orD? huge area need more info

bc_buckshot
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
sorry in section A of 7-23

PGK
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Why did you apply for an LEH in an area you have never been to?

Drives me mad.

bc_buckshot
09-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I put in for Parsnip because I have never been and heard it would be a good spot. Nothing wrong on trying new things

Ironball
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Check a existing thread {Parsnip River 7-23}.That might help

landphil
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Why did you apply for an LEH in an area you have never been to?

Drives me mad.

What's wrong with a guy trying something new or a new area? At least he is going to try and filll his tag (hopefully sucessfully at that). I'm not trying to start a peeing contest, but this stikes me as odd. A sucessful LEH sounds like a great opportunity to go to a new area if you ask me. Are you jeleous or what's the deal?

Good luck on your moose hunt - I know nothing of 7-23 so I'm not much help.

korey
09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
had draw last year in 7-23 b but one afternoon went for atv ride up a road just in side zone a and it looked like a good spot. full of fresh sign and a big marsh.if you have a boat, floating the parsnip is not a bad idea. give me pm if you have any other questions.

bc_buckshot
09-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the note. I'm still wondering if i should sit a a marsh area or should if walk up and down the gravel roads. Which roads or lakes should I take a look at?

BigBanger
09-22-2009, 08:42 AM
No one here will spoon feed you your moose . The area your are going to isn't huge . Do some research and you should be fine . Good luck .

barry1974w
09-22-2009, 08:50 AM
If you're going up for a cow draw, don't bother walking up and down gravel roads, you'll probably get hit, or choked out on dust. I was out there last year for the opener of calf season and it was insane. People everywhere, my surefire moose crossing had a camp set up right on the crossing, big campfire going with six guys standing around drinking coffee right at prime time. It was almost a waste of a day, but you can't call any day spent out in the boonies a waste. If you're going try to get back off the road, stay off anything that looks like a trail also, ATV's everywhere, it seems that the ATV time restrictions are ignored by a whole lot of guys, we probably saw 15 running around during the closed times. I couldn't even find anywhere to go for a walk, everything that looked promising already had somebody there. I've stopped hunting calf season around home because it's too busy, I figured because it was the first year of the early season it might not be too busy up there. Man was I wrong. But on the bright side.... I won't be in your way this year.

lightmag
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
If you're going up for a cow draw, don't bother walking up and down gravel roads, you'll probably get hit, or choked out on dust. I was out there last year for the opener of calf season and it was insane. People everywhere, my surefire moose crossing had a camp set up right on the crossing, big campfire going with six guys standing around drinking coffee right at prime time. It was almost a waste of a day, but you can't call any day spent out in the boonies a waste. If you're going try to get back off the road, stay off anything that looks like a trail also, ATV's everywhere, it seems that the ATV time restrictions are ignored by a whole lot of guys, we probably saw 15 running around during the closed times. I couldn't even find anywhere to go for a walk, everything that looked promising already had somebody there. I've stopped hunting calf season around home because it's too busy, I figured because it was the first year of the early season it might not be too busy up there. Man was I wrong. But on the bright side.... I won't be in your way this year.

There are NO quad restrictions in 7-23??? only snowmobile, the restrictions are 7-7 to 7-15, you should check your regs before relaying wrong info.

barry1974w
09-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Whoops, your right. I guess I was out of line. You should have heard me bitchin last year. My appoligies to all.

Foxtail
09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the note. I'm still wondering if i should sit a a marsh area or should if walk up and down the gravel roads. Which roads or lakes should I take a look at?

The short answers... Yes, Yes, and all of them. You will see moose all day if it's cold enough... err the moose will move all day if it's cold enough. Use Google maps to get a decent look at the area for pre scouting. Dawn and dusk are the best times. Watch the tree lines of marshes and cutblocks. They won't come out if they think something is up tho...

bc_buckshot
09-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys for info. I will sure take some pics hopefuly come home with something

09-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Go get yourself a video on how to call and a call if you dont already. The rut should be going good then, hopefully for me too! When i go to a new area i like to do alot of driving for the first day to find a couple days worth of hunting. I like to find a nice little cut block with a big bush pile and call from it. get in an hour before light sit for 20 and start calling. i dont know the area i'vs never been. but good luck in your new area, im going to a new spot too this year as well.

lip_ripper00
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Go get yourself a video on how to call and a call if you dont already. The rut should be going good then, hopefully for me too! When i go to a new area i like to do alot of driving for the first day to find a couple days worth of hunting. I like to find a nice little cut block with a big bush pile and call from it. get in an hour before light sit for 20 and start calling. i dont know the area i'vs never been. but good luck in your new area, im going to a new spot too this year as well.

Only problem is the only logging thats been done (except on the road in and very busy) was done 10-12 years ago lots of over grown cut blocks with 10+' trees. Hunt the power line and surrounding area hard:wink:

09-24-2009, 08:50 AM
i met a guy once who packed a 12' step ladder on his truck went in to the 8' pines, set up and called. Aparently he did pretty good at it. Helps to string tarps as well.

moosinaround
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Portable tree stands!! Put em up in close to the marshes/swamps and call away!! The moose don't leave the area, they stay in the tall stuff! Cooler, lots of food, and less disturbances from hunters! Moosin

09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Hmmmmm i like the sound of this ......stand. Thing
i gotta get one, one day

moosinaround
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Hmmmmm i like the sound of this ......stand. Thing
i gotta get one, one day
We used to hunt an area around the mcgregor river. Only way you could see anything was from 30 ft up in the trees! Had good luck hunting this way. Just make sure there is lots of sign in and around the area. Along the river, or a large marsh or both. Then scent up. and climb on up in the dark. Call away!! Moosin

09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
ya my buddie builds stands where he goes. The one year i hunted with him we called a 40" right to the stand coulda jumped out and rode him! too bad mike shot his bull tag and we were looking for my immie