PDA

View Full Version : great beaver lake

hutch
09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
heading up to p.g. on wed and will be heading into great beaver thurs morning best directions i can find to get in are to head up 97 north and access through chief lake rd and teardrop. My question is, is the turn onto chief lake fairly well marked out from the highway and are there any gas stations close bye.

thanks chris

ape
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Chief lake rd from Hwy 97 is marked and there is a husky station right on the corner if you miss the turn next stop is Chetwynd.

barry1974w
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah, the Husky is right on the corner of Chief Lake Road. If you need fuel or anything while you're out there, the Nukko Lake general store sells gas (a bit expensive), booze and basic groceries. They're open eight to eight Tuesday through Saturday, noon till six on Sundays anf they're closed on Monday. The corner you're most likley to miss is the corner of chief lake and chief lake. Once you go past the drive in and race track it's the next intersection on your right (about 1.5 km).

Bigbear
09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
You can also get there tru FT, St James as well, But if your coming from the south Chief Lake way is Better. We used to go into Great Beaver when it was 6 Hrs of 4X4 from Chief lake, you Never went with one vehicle, and made sure you had a good winch. The one thing though, when ever you went you always got your Meat.

hutch
09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
great responce thanks for the help

PGK
09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
It's been raining for a few days now so bring a cumalong and a jack. Don't know what the road's like lately, but when I was a kid it was baaad. Caught some big fish in that lake. Still a pretty un-visited area.

Sitkaspruce
09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
It's been raining for a few days now so bring a cumalong and a jack. Don't know what the road's like lately, but when I was a kid it was baaad. Caught some big fish in that lake. Still a pretty un-visited area.

Then you have not been there in a while and especially during calf season. It is the most popular rec site in the Fort St. James District and during hunting season it is pretty busy, then add in the calf season and it is a gong show. We once counted 16 camps in the site and another 45 within 10 miles of the place. It is the same at Teardrop and Tureen rec sites. It is the most heavily hunted area I have seen. Still lots of animals around as it is getting thick in there and there is not nearly the logging activity that there once was.

The road is in great shape and it is gravelled, so no worries about sliding off the road. The on block roads will be different though.

Fishing can be great for rainbows and if you have a boat, there is some good moose bays to hunt.

Good luck on your hunt

Cheers

SS

PGK
09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Huh, maybe that's why I still don't hear much about it, the locals leave it alone :lol:

Sitkaspruce
09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Huh, maybe that's why I still don't hear much about it, the locals leave it alone :lol:

Maybe you just do not have the right local friends:mrgreen::-D

During the summer it is full of PG campers and during the hunting season it is about 20% PG/The Fort/Bear Lk hunters, the rest are LML and Islanders.

You should go there in the spring, there is some pretty good flyfishing for rainbows and whitefish in the bays and not bad fishing on the Salmon in the summer. Plus I have seen an honest 9lbs rainbow come out of the Teardrop on hardware. Some good fishing around there.

Cheers

SS

hutch
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
taking a boat and will try the bays for fish and moose. would i be better off camping at mossvale?

barry1974w
09-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Mossvale will be just as bad, depending on where your draw is for (I'm assuming you have a draw) you could stay almost anywhere, there's ton's of little lakes and forest rec sites is the area. Use your boat, lots of good fishing and lots of little moose bays.

moosinaround
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I would reserve a spot early! Ensure you have a parking pass purchased! They are scheduling times for access to the logging slashes, and depending on if you have a deer tag, the cost is extra!!:eek: Early morning hunts out in the Mossvale are a little expensive, so the 13:00-15:00 time slots are a little easier on the pocket book!:-) Moosin

Brett
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Unless you know someone with a cabin out there. :mrgreen:

hutch
09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
no draw for the area just going to check out a new place and enjoy ourselves and if we are lucky enough to find an immy or a deer then great. thanks for all info chris