PDA

View Full Version : Went out this morning

Hemi
09-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Well I headed out for moose this morning. We got to our first spot and walked it and called alittle nothing. So we decided to hit some of the big cut blocks and glass them. We ran into a few people so we went down anothe road in a block and it appeared no one had been down that way. we saw a tree down over the road but I was able to drive over it. After the tree about 300 meters past I saw tracks from a moose. My buddy looked at them and we determined they were bull. So we followed them for about 70 feet then they turned and went into a large water hole. We looked around for abit but nothing so my buddy climbs this hill and glasses the area I look up at hime and he points and puts his hands to the side of his head with 2 fingers up, I turn but see nothing. So I make the climb and he points out a moose in the bush on the side of the block. But we can't tell how many points. So I decide to stalk it with my buddy guiding me from the hill. I got within shooting distance with my bow just neede it to turn so I can 1) get a true ID and 2)get a clean broadside shot. Well it finally stopped stairing at me and turned enough for me to tell that it was a 3 point and a big one at that. Oh well next time..

Gun Babe
09-20-2009, 02:11 PM
It is all about the adventure and getting out and about.....good luck with finding that "right| moose!

carnivore
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Hemi, just curious on how you determined the tracks were from a bull? Did you base it on the size???

300H&H
09-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a good hunt.

Dad & I went out also. With Dads poor health, we went in slowly. And it paided off.
I heard a branch snap just off to the side of us. I gave a couple of soft calls and waited. sure enough I heard a soft call back and hoof steps coming to the front of us. Then nothing for a couple of mins. So I take 2 steps and CRASH. CRUNCH. The moose takes off. Never saw it. We slowly walk ahead 20 feet and another moose comes crashing out of the lake into the trees. Were pumped.
No more than 3 mins later I spot a cow moose in the swamp and she walks off. 3 Moose in 5 mins. Great start the the season. No more moose today but we did see yotes & a bear.
In this area I have seen moose on opening day 5 of 7 years. Not to bad. My LEH bull is for this area in Nov. Sign of a big bull in the area.

300H&H
09-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Hemi, just curious on how you determined the tracks were from a bull? Did you base it on the size???

Dew claws are a good indicator, but not 100% accurate.
Size of the hoof and how it is spread apart helps ID. Depth of the print too.
Its like putting a puzzle together. You need to gather all the pieces.

Hemi
09-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Cows hoofs are normally pointier then bulls.. Bulls will be rounded on the toe.. And yes larger..

Kye
09-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Went out this morning to an area that I had seen a spike bull on the tenth. Right at first light I spot a moose sky-lined in a block. Being sky-lined, its silhouette looked like a cow but I thought i'd better take a look. I got to within 100 yards and had another look and it still looked like a cow, then it turned its head slightly and I caught a glimpse of an antler. It definitely looked like the spike I had seen before but not wanting to shoot an illegal bull, I waited until I could see the antler clearly. Just then her turned and buggered off when yes indeed it was a spike bull Moose! I went after it but right at that time two packs of coyotes started howling on either side of me and somebody started shooting aways away, he took off like lightning and I couldn't find him after searching for two hours. During the search I heard a close by gunshot, later I drove around a bit and found a few guys cleaning the spiker I saw earlier. In hindsight I should have probably shot when I saw it was a small bull, but it is better to be safe then sorry I suppose. :(

Vital Shock
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM
thats hunting!! great story, I wanted to keep reading..... :)