PDA

View Full Version : going to 8-6

betteroffishing
09-19-2009, 09:04 AM
going up to 8-6 this tues/wed for a hunt . any suggestions on altitude to hunt durring the pre rut would be greatly appreciated.

betteroffishing
09-19-2009, 09:23 AM
looking for moose first , deer second. btw

dutchie
09-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Look in the marshy areas obviously but the only sign I saw there yesterday, was up higer

dutchie

Steeleco
09-19-2009, 10:04 AM
The moose I've seen a few times in the neighboring reg'n have been have 5000' both times we've spotted them and over a week apart.

elkdom
09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
1st and 2nd year logging slashes
+
water nearby,swamps,creeks,lakes
+
heavy cover nearby, big timber,older regrowth

= MOOSE

locdog_99
09-19-2009, 10:49 AM
where in 8-6 are u going?

betteroffishing
09-19-2009, 07:33 PM
buck lake area, ive hiked in around the back side of the lake into a very old clear cut that looked like a nice quiet place for a moose to hang out . will be alone and staying in my moterhome so i need to stay close to camp and with no vhf radio , i'm weary of driving too far along the main on a working day.

Steeleco
09-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Say hello my friend Lynden, he's up there till wed. Good luck.

betteroffishing
09-19-2009, 08:22 PM
will do steeleco, what is he camped in ? wonder if he'll help pack meat out for a share ?? another q ? if / when i get an animal down { moose } in that im packing it out alone , do i pack head out first / last ? this early in the season , i dont suppose ill have any issue finding a butcher with room to hang meat ??

Jelvis
09-19-2009, 08:56 PM
hot and warmer temps in the area, means think, how far from the vehicle can I safely go and the flys and hornets will lay eggs and could contaminate the meat in the creases or folds of the flesh --
A deer wouldn't be too bad tho -- be quick and debone cool
Moose another story get it in to the cooler quicker -- chip chip
Go have a hunt and be realistic about what one person can do with a downed moose in late summer -- but hey a deer would be a bit more realistic.
Jel -- go and check it out and see what happens -- hunt and scout -- jP

Steeleco
09-19-2009, 09:06 PM
He's in a Sliver Ram with a camper in tow.

I'd concentrate on saving the meat first. If your asked by a CO as to "where the head is", the fact that you can walk him to the kill site should be proof enough.
I'd be calling a few local cutters to see what room they have before you leave. They may still be dealing with the Aug moose rush??

Phreddy
09-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Dave, as I mentioned on the phone, if you knock it down, phone me. I can be there in about 45 minutes with the quad to help pack it out. I just left Marty there about an hour ago. He got his tree stand up and is happy.
Buck Lake is a gong show, and the hunters outnumber the game by about 3to1 right now. With all the newbies up there right now, I don't think I want to go into the bush for a week or two.
If you phone me tomorrow (Sunday) I'll tell you where we saw the most sign today. If you want to try a new area, stop by and I'll take you into a couple different spots that look promising in the morning.